Bunnygirl22

Navy PCS duty abroad- can I leave base?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi!

I made a post before, but I've figured out what I'll do for that thread, now im curious more about the laws surrounding LPR while stationed.

My fiance and I are likely to be stationed in Japan, and I will be on DEERS and have a military ID, but I'll have LPR which is only fine up to a stay of 6 months.

The station lasts 3-4 years, will I be fine not needing a re-entry permit?

AND, can I leave the base (counted as US soil)?

Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 1/21/2021 at 9:17 PM, Bunnygirl22 said:

Hi!

I made a post before, but I've figured out what I'll do for that thread, now im curious more about the laws surrounding LPR while stationed.

My fiance and I are likely to be stationed in Japan, and I will be on DEERS and have a military ID, but I'll have LPR which is only fine up to a stay of 6 months.

Thanks again!

The question is will you be on your future husband's orders? If so you don't need a re-entry permit and of course you can leave base.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 1/21/2021 at 7:17 PM, Bunnygirl22 said:

Hi!

Thanks again!

The first question is, will you be listed on your husband's orders?  

As long as you have a military ID, you are free to leave base as much as possible, but depending on the current HPCON (health protection conditions) of 7th fleet area of responsibility. For instance, while I was there last year, no one was allowed to leave the lbase in HPCON Delta, but once HPCON C hit, you were allowed to leave base but couldnt go past 3 km.  If you decide to live off base, different story.  

Will you be stationed in Yokosuka?  

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello there! 
I will tell you what I know based on current experience on a marital relationship: As long as you are married and in his orders he will receive a dependent letter of approval with your name on it and once you arrive to Japan head to PSD to get your SOFA stamp. That stamp is “your visa” it allows you to leave and re-enter Japan whenever, and of course you can leave base lol and even though you are not in the US, because your spouse is serving the country, you as a spouse are “excused” to not reside in the US, as long as you have all of the above^
I’m currently in Japan with my husband and Removed conditions on my GC last June and applying for Citizenship this June. I was stressing too at first whether I needed a re-entry permit or not!

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)! x

MY JOURNEY INTO GETTING A FIRST-TIME GREEN CARD, RENEWING A GREEN CARD, AND OBTAINING U.S. CITIZENSHIP:

I-130: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/08/23/my-spouse-visa-process-and-timeline-ir1-cr1/ From Colombia 🇨🇴

I-751: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/09/12/i-751-joint-petition-to-remove-conditions-on-residence/From Japan 🇯🇵 (Military spouse overseas)

N-400: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2022/08/03/3430/ From Japan 🇯🇵 

BLOG:  https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/inmigr/   

Timeline
12 hours ago, valentinasc said:

Hello there! 
I will tell you what I know based on current experience on a marital relationship: As long as you are married and in his orders he will receive a dependent letter of approval with your name on it and once you arrive to Japan head to PSD to get your SOFA stamp. That stamp is “your visa” it allows you to leave and re-enter Japan whenever, and of course you can leave base lol and even though you are not in the US, because your spouse is serving the country, you as a spouse are “excused” to not reside in the US, as long as you have all of the above^
I’m currently in Japan with my husband and Removed conditions on my GC last June and applying for Citizenship this June. I was stressing too at first whether I needed a re-entry permit or not!

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)! x

And also, the SOFA stamp allows you to work outside base as well.  Which is a benefit so you dont have to apply for an actual Japanese work visa.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
8 hours ago, Ed&Midori1031 said:

And also, the SOFA stamp allows you to work outside base as well.  Which is a benefit so you dont have to apply for an actual Japanese work visa.  

That’s actually incorrect. It is considered illegal to work off base with a SOFA stamp unless you have a work visa or request permission to do so. I know of 2 cases where spouses got deported from Japan from doing so. With a lot of spouses refusing to work, there’s plenty of jobs on base anyways. 

MY JOURNEY INTO GETTING A FIRST-TIME GREEN CARD, RENEWING A GREEN CARD, AND OBTAINING U.S. CITIZENSHIP:

I-130: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/08/23/my-spouse-visa-process-and-timeline-ir1-cr1/ From Colombia 🇨🇴

I-751: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/09/12/i-751-joint-petition-to-remove-conditions-on-residence/From Japan 🇯🇵 (Military spouse overseas)

N-400: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2022/08/03/3430/ From Japan 🇯🇵 

BLOG:  https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/inmigr/   

Timeline
4 hours ago, valentinasc said:

That’s actually incorrect. It is considered illegal to work off base with a SOFA stamp unless you have a work visa or request permission to do so. I know of 2 cases where spouses got deported from Japan from doing so. With a lot of spouses refusing to work, there’s plenty of jobs on base anyways. 

My wife was offered work outside base, and they only asked to see her SOFA stamp.  She ended up working on base anyways. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.