ANONLAURAY

BANGLADESH - F4 Visa - father's name on passport does not match birth certificate

5 posts in this topic

Timeline

I am a U.S. citizen bringing my sister and her family (F4 Visa). The DS-260 asks for the civil documents. The issue is I submitted the DS-260 according to the passport. My sister's Bangladeshi passport has our father's name on it. The father's name is missing two initials. So it's supposed to be: "S.M. first name, last name." But the passport is missing the "S.M" part. 

However, on both of our birth certificates and her National ID has the "S.M" is there. On the marriage certificate, the "S.M" is not there.

Therefore, on the DS-260 online application (which I submitted), I forgot to add the "S.M" since I was filing it out based on the passport, which do not have these intials. Our father passed away when I was an infant, so I made this silly mistake. 

What should I do? I cannot change the passport, since I already submitted the passport's ID # and expiry date on the DS 260. What should I do? Will this be an issue, even though the 2nd given name and last name is the same? 

Edited by ANONLAURAY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Is S.M. an honorific (example of honorifics in the USA are Mr and Ms) or are S. and M. actually two additional names?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Anyway, if the US embassy cares about this, she can get a new passport issued with her father’s name as it appears on her birth certificate.  

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Anyway, if the US embassy cares about this, she can get a new passport issued with her father’s name as it appears on her birth certificate.  

It is not an honorific, it's an abbreviation for a longer name. It's not two separate names, but the original name was shortened to "S.M" if that makes sense. The issue that I already submitted a DS 260 with this passport's information and passport #. And our father doesn't really go by "S.M." so in Bangladesh, they were asked to handwrite the father name, so I guess my sister forgot "S.M."

I thought the USCIS will only care about if the birth certificate info matches, since my US passport doesn't have any parents' name. Oh well, who knows?

• 4 weeks later...

What does your father's passport have as the given name?

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.