MrKo

Anyone used the Passport form filler on DOS website?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, new citizen here. I just applied for my passport, but I have a concern. I used the DOS website to fill out and generate my passport application, I felt that's better than filling out by hand because the online filler generates a bar code, in which case it makes it easier for the passport center to transmit your information into their computer system since they don't need to type everything, all they do is just scanning that bar code on the form.

When I filled out the application using the DOS filler, the website clearly marks which questions are required to answer and which questions are not. If you leave the required questions blank, you won't be able to proceed to the next page. So because I wanted to fill out the form quickly, I only filled what were required -- in other words, I didn't fill out my parents' birthdays and their birth places, I also didn't fill out the emergency contact information, since these were NOT required ACCORDING TO THE DOS form filler.

My concern is what later happened at the postal office. When I printed out the finished forms and went to the postal office, the employee looked at it and said they were going to accept my application but my application will likely be denied by the passport center because I haven't filled out my parents' birthdays and birth places, neither did I provided the emergency contact info. I explained to her that the DOS system says these are not mandatory fields. The employee said he's "been doing this for years and everything on the form is required" and since the bar code on the form had been generated, I could not handwrite anything on the form any more. I either go home and re-do a new form, or take the risk of being denied for an "incomplete" application form.

I chose to trust the DOS website and signed my application.

So, my question to you is that, has any one of you tried to use the DOS website to fill out the passport form without providing your parents' birthday, birth places, and emergency contact info and successfully got your passport???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just renewed my passport on the 4th of this month, but it didn't even ask those questions when I did the form filler, probably because mine was a renewal. Emergency contact isn't required I don't think I have ever filled that out, but not sure how important parents names and birth dates are, I think they use them as a security measure if you ever lose your passport as more than likely only you would know or have access to that information. I know I included it on my first passport application, but that was 30 years ago, so things could have changed.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

15 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

I just renewed my passport on the 4th of this month, but it didn't even ask those questions when I did the form filler, probably because mine was a renewal. Emergency contact isn't required I don't think I have ever filled that out, but not sure how important parents names and birth dates are, I think they use them as a security measure if you ever lose your passport as more than likely only you would know or have access to that information. I know I included it on my first passport application, but that was 30 years ago, so things could have changed.

Yeah, I think the renewal is probably slightly different. I did provide my parents' names, citizenship and everything else that's clearly marked as required (has a "*" sign) by the form filler. I now see on a US embassy web site saying "Providing an emergency contact is not mandatory", but the same web site says I should provide "all requested" information about my parents. If so, why the DOS form filler doesn't mark all of them as required?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, MrKo said:

Hi, new citizen here. I just applied for my passport, but I have a concern. I used the DOS website to fill out and generate my passport application, I felt that's better than filling out by hand because the online filler generates a bar code, in which case it makes it easier for the passport center to transmit your information into their computer system since they don't need to type everything, all they do is just scanning that bar code on the form.

When I filled out the application using the DOS filler, the website clearly marks which questions are required to answer and which questions are not. If you leave the required questions blank, you won't be able to proceed to the next page. So because I wanted to fill out the form quickly, I only filled what were required -- in other words, I didn't fill out my parents' birthdays and their birth places, I also didn't fill out the emergency contact information, since these were NOT required ACCORDING TO THE DOS form filler.

My concern is what later happened at the postal office. When I printed out the finished forms and went to the postal office, the employee looked at it and said they were going to accept my application but my application will likely be denied by the passport center because I haven't filled out my parents' birthdays and birth places, neither did I provided the emergency contact info. I explained to her that the DOS system says these are not mandatory fields. The employee said he's "been doing this for years and everything on the form is required" and since the bar code on the form had been generated, I could not handwrite anything on the form any more. I either go home and re-do a new form, or take the risk of being denied for an "incomplete" application form.

I chose to trust the DOS website and signed my application.

So, my question to you is that, has any one of you tried to use the DOS website to fill out the passport form without providing your parents' birthday, birth places, and emergency contact info and successfully got your passport???

I used the DOS filler as well and printed my application form without filling the non-mandatory fields.However the USPS employee who reviewed my application suggested to fill in the blank fields by hand saying giving as much information helps. I obliged her suggestion, filled up the blank fields by hand. USPS employees do this work everyday and they know very well what works. Heeding to their advice is useful. It was, in my case at-least as I received my passport/card/NC back, without any questions.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I used the online thing as well and the USPS clerk did ask but I didn't fill it out. I got my passport just fine. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.