snehak

SSN wait time more than 6 weeks

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have applied for my first time SSN on 2nd Dec and my application is still in processing. Upon checking the save case site it says 'case returned back to agency' . I called both save case office and ssn office, save case office says that SSN agency must apply for verification again and they can't do anything unless the verification is requested again , SSN office says they have already applied for second verification and case is pending for verification now, not sure where's the disconnect . I am not sure whom should I contact to get this done faster. I have a job offer but cannot join since I don't have SSN, they are waiting for more than a month now and might not wait much longer. I have a urgent situation here. I cannot walk into SSN office directly without appointment as it's not allowed due to covid . What should I do? 

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread has been moved from General Immigration Discussion to the Social Security Numbers subforum, to be among similar topics.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 10 months later...
On 1/12/2021 at 8:59 PM, snehak said:

Hi,

I have applied for my first time SSN on 2nd Dec and my application is still in processing. Upon checking the save case site it says 'case returned back to agency' . I called both save case office and ssn office, save case office says that SSN agency must apply for verification again and they can't do anything unless the verification is requested again , SSN office says they have already applied for second verification and case is pending for verification now, not sure where's the disconnect . I am not sure whom should I contact to get this done faster. I have a job offer but cannot join since I don't have SSN, they are waiting for more than a month now and might not wait much longer. I have a urgent situation here. I cannot walk into SSN office directly without appointment as it's not allowed due to covid . What should I do? 

Thank you!

Hi Snehak,

did you manage to get your card. Can you let me know what you did to get the card. I am in the same situation, local ssn office keep on saying it’s pending for verification at DHS.

kindly help.

thanks,

navatha

On 1/12/2021 at 8:59 PM, snehak said:

Hi,

Thank you!

Hey..

can you please let me know how you managed to get your card.I am in the same situation, kindly advise.

thanks

Similar situation here; been waiting for more three months now. My case is also back at DHS for additional verification (2nd time). Oddly enough; the case doesn't show up if I search CaseCheck on my USCIS # (it only shows the previous original case, which was 'returned to agency').

19 minutes ago, Jannis said:

Similar situation here; been waiting for more three months now. My case is also back at DHS for additional verification (2nd time). Oddly enough; the case doesn't show up if I search CaseCheck on my USCIS # (it only shows the previous original case, which was 'returned to agency').

Hey..

did you apply 2nd time in the same offc or different offc?

If your first application still exists at local ssn office, just keep calling them and let them know that savecheck status says it has been returned to agency and ask them what to do as dhs can’t do anything. Only local ssn should help. Reach out to state congressman about the issue, probably they can help.

I only applied once at my local office. The case I see in CaseCheck is the case they originally submitted. That came back, but apparently wasn't sufficient, so they send it out for verification again. *that* case does not show up

6 minutes ago, Jannis said:

I only applied once at my local office. The case I see in CaseCheck is the case they originally submitted. That came back, but apparently wasn't sufficient, so they send it out for verification again. *that* case does not show up

hey... I contacted savecheck customer service, they clearly mentioned that there is nothing called manual verification at DHS. Everything is electronically verified, ideally soon after our documents are submitted documents should be verified. If that doesn't happen, status shows pending and if your savecheck shows "returned to agency" only local ssn can help. But these ssn guys are not knowledgeable, only few are aware of this specific case. I continuously called them and asked about the status, everyone kept on saying pending verification.  Finally one agent answered call, initially told pending verification and I told her about savecheck status, she checked something else and told me that my documents are verified and status is cleared. She mentioned I would receive card in a week. Call them , luckily you should get one or reach out to state congressman. They can help you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
On 12/6/2021 at 7:27 PM, Navatha said:

hey... I contacted savecheck customer service, they clearly mentioned that there is nothing called manual verification at DHS. Everything is electronically verified, ideally soon after our documents are submitted documents should be verified. If that doesn't happen, status shows pending and if your savecheck shows "returned to agency" only local ssn can help. But these ssn guys are not knowledgeable, only few are aware of this specific case. I continuously called them and asked about the status, everyone kept on saying pending verification.  Finally one agent answered call, initially told pending verification and I told her about savecheck status, she checked something else and told me that my documents are verified and status is cleared. She mentioned I would receive card in a week. Call them , luckily you should get one or reach out to state congressman. They can help you.

This is good to know! We just went yesterday for my husband's SSN and I checked on SAVE and it shows returned to agency... Hoping that means it's cleared for issuance... I really need his SSN to get him on my health insurance before end of year!

So; I finally figured out why my case took this long! It turns out that they messed up my original application, using incorrect data. Basically; my case was doomed from the start. Why it took them 2+ months to figure that out? No idea. Repetitive calls over the past months didn't shed any light on things; until yesterday I was finally informed that my case was stuck on an expired I-551 they used for validation during my application (it expired weeks ago). I was told to come in today with my green card (didn't have that yet at the time of my application) and it would be fixed.

When I came in, the guy helping me literally shook his had and said that the person taking in my original application messed up big time. My case was never going to get through. He started a new application from scratch, and this was instantly approved (it immediately showed up in SAVE with the 'case returned to agency' status, which took weeks on my original app). Got a confirmation letter stating I would receive my card within the next two weeks. Fingers crossed....

• 1 year later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 12/3/2021 at 6:26 PM, Navatha said:

Hi Snehak,

did you manage to get your card. Can you let me know what you did to get the card. I am in the same situation, local ssn office keep on saying it’s pending for verification at DHS.

kindly help.

thanks,

navatha

Hi @Navatha, were you able to get the card? What did you do for the processing? Please help, it's been more than 5 months for me. I have almost 7 cases returned to the agency.

Thanks,

Khushboo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.