VetsWife328

Anyone in Duluth MN?

19 posts in this topic

So, I've never lived in Minnesota... (I'm originally from tennessee, but went to Wisconsin for college) but I hear it gets FREEZING!!! As an interesting side note... I've also heard that the U of Minn Duluth has an huge network of underground passageways because it gets so cold in the wintertime! I've always wanted to visit --if just to walk everywhere underground!

Good luck on your journey!! Buy a good winter coat!! And don't eat the yellow snow! :P

-Kate-

Must just be a legend because as far as I know, there is no vast underground passageway network. It doesn't get that cold there. :whistle:

I don't know about Duluth, but there are steam tunnels around Minneapolis. I knew someone who used to go climbing around in them.

keTiiDCjGVo

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I have lived in Minnesota for almost 5 years. There are good things and bad things about this state. I am always saying: I can't wait to move! But if I look at it closer it is not that bad at all.

Pro:

• It is great to have children in Minnesota! I was a nanny for almost 5 years and Minnesota (especially the Twin Cities) made it very easy for me to be active with the children even during the winter. There are many indoor places that you can go (Children Museum, Science Museum, Indoor Playgrounds, Pools, Zoos, Beaches, GREAT PARKS....) and the libary systems rents our passes to get into them for free. I really loved it being a nanny in Minnesota.
  • Friendly People! Well, sometimes you might call it supervisel but who wants the lady at the department store to become your best friend ;)
  • Great outdoor activities---so many state parks
  • Great schools (many immersion schools-spanish, german, french, chinese...)
  • Great job opportunities (I made $600 a week by being a nanny for one sweet boy. When I started working in an office I found a job right away and it paid really well)
Cons:
  • It is cold. Yes, I mean very cold. The windshill is sometimes minus 40F. That means just walking from the car to the store can make you not feel your face.
  • The cold weather last for a very long time. It gets icky in October and I wouldn't be surprised with a snowstorm in April.
Well, the only good thing about the cold weather is that the sun always shines. So at least it is not as depressing as German gray weather.

I hope you will enjoy your time. I for my part want to move to Oregon.

I hope this helps and it is not too negative---other than the weather it is a great place to raise a family!

Christine

Edited by NickandChristine

7-28-07 I-129F send to NSC

7-30-07 I-129F was delivered at the NSC

8-04-08 Christine left to Germany

8-23-07 CSC cashed our check

8-27-07 received NOA1

1-14-08 NOA 2 was issued

1-25-08 Medical in Hamburg, Germany

2-29-08 Interview in Frankfurt, Germany

3-14-08 Visa in the Mail

4-02-08 Flight to Minneapolis

5-25-08 Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
So, I've never lived in Minnesota... (I'm originally from tennessee, but went to Wisconsin for college) but I hear it gets FREEZING!!! As an interesting side note... I've also heard that the U of Minn Duluth has an huge network of underground passageways because it gets so cold in the wintertime! I've always wanted to visit --if just to walk everywhere underground!

Good luck on your journey!! Buy a good winter coat!! And don't eat the yellow snow! :P

-Kate-

Must just be a legend because as far as I know, there is no vast underground passageway network. It doesn't get that cold there. :whistle:

Well, all downtown Minneapolis is connected by a fairly big network of Overpasses, connecting the blocks one level above street level. It's great, because it does get cold here!

You mean skyways and yes you can pretty much go anywhere in downtown once you enter the skyway.

well i lived in minnesota for most of my life and yes it does get cold at time like one winter the temp got down to - 60 degrees f thats like -100 c but it only happen some times there is a week or two in the winter you get minus degree temp but other then that is not bad i lived in duluth and superior for about a year and yes there is so much to do and is so beautiful there you will be happy just learn to dress warm in winter and there will be no problems good luck

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks for all the advice.But due to a great job offer coming up we wont be moving to MN but will stay in WA.James just started a new job working on his beloved Aircraft again and the pay is more than we could have ever dreamed of so yeah it will be WA not MN.

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.