HunnyBunny

Renunciation application

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello everybody,

I am almost at the end of my immigration journey. I just received my US passport yesterday. Now I am trying to go to next level, renunciation of my Indian passport/citizenship. I have been trying to fill the application online with the service provider VFS Global website. I am getting stuck on next page where it says "Add Customer". It's little confusing. The first thing its asking me is Govt Reference Number (ARN). WHERE DO I FIND THIS NUMBER? If anyone is able to help me with this, I would be able to go to next step in my application.  Thank you in advance.

image.thumb.png.fb519618ab8f8556bbea9d8838e0bfa3.png

*~*~*country-specific question moved to India sub-forum*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, HunnyBunny said:

Hello everybody,

I am almost at the end of my immigration journey. I just received my US passport yesterday. Now I am trying to go to next level, renunciation of my Indian passport/citizenship. I have been trying to fill the application online with the service provider VFS Global website. I am getting stuck on next page where it says "Add Customer". It's little confusing. The first thing its asking me is Govt Reference Number (ARN). WHERE DO I FIND THIS NUMBER? If anyone is able to help me with this, I would be able to go to next step in my application.  Thank you in advance.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/754279-surrender-and-renunciation-of-indian-citizenship-guideupdated-25th-dec-2020/

I-90 Green Card Timeline

05/29/2014: Applied for I-90, Due to an Name Error.

06/12/2014: Biometrics Appointment

02/13/2015: Green Card Was Ordered To Be Produced

02/20/2015: Green Card Has Been Mailed.(Received Tracking Number)

02/23/2015: Green Card Received With Correct Name

N-400 Citizenship Timeline

07/05/2012 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)

01/11/2015 = Sent N-400 Packet (to Phoenix Lockbox Facility via USPS Certified Mail)

01/15/2015 = N-400 Packet Delivered

01/27/2015 = I-912 Approved

02/02/2015 = NOA1 Received (Priority Date 01/15/2015)

02/07/2015 = Biometrics Letter Received (Bio Set for 02/20/2015)

02/25/2015 = In Line for Interview

04/03/2015 = Interview Completed

--- = Oath Letter Received

04/15/2015 = Oath Ceremony!

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

06/02/2020 - Filed I-130 Online

06/02/2020 - NOA1 Received

07/01/2020 - Back to U.S from India 

01/11/2021 - NOA2 Received & Petition Approved

Timeline
23 hours ago, HunnyBunny said:

Hello everybody,

The very first thing you need to do is to fill a government renunciation application for at https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/
When you fill and submit the renunciation application an Application Reference number is generated for you and you need to use that in rest of the process on VFS Global website.

A step by step guide is available for the entire process, from VFS GLobal, here https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/apply-for-renunciation

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 12/28/2020 at 2:42 PM, MightyIndian said:

The very first thing you need to do is to fill a government renunciation application for at https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/
When you fill and submit the renunciation application an Application Reference number is generated for you and you need to use that in rest of the process on VFS Global website.

A step by step guide is available for the entire process, from VFS GLobal, here https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/apply-for-renunciation

Thats correct. I just sent out the documents last week to VFS. 

Timeline
On 12/28/2020 at 5:42 PM, MightyIndian said:

Thank you. I submitted all my papers through Fadex & it got delivered today. Let see how much time it takes.

Timeline
On 12/27/2020 at 7:39 PM, Jot18 said:

This was very helpful. On VFS website nothing is clear. Thank you so much.

Timeline
1 hour ago, HunnyBunny said:

Thank you. I submitted all my papers through Fadex & it got delivered today. Let see how much time it takes.

Good. According to VFS it takes about 10 days. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I received my renunciation certificate and canceled passport today. My timeline below for information.

12/30/2020 - Renunciation package delivered at VFS office.
12/30/2020 - Received email from VFS Global confirming receipt of application
01/04/2021 - Received message "processed and sent to Embassy"
01/12/2021 - Received message "your application has been reviewed by the embassy and dispatched"
01/13/2021 - Received Cancelled passport and surrender certificate by FedEx.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
On 1/4/2021 at 4:31 PM, MightyIndian said:

Good. According to VFS it takes about 10 days. Good luck.

Hi, I received my renunciation certificate yesterday. I didn’t track it at all. I almost had forgotten that I had applied for it!😅  Now journey for OCI card begins! Any suggestions?😃

Edited by HunnyBunny

On 2/5/2021 at 6:28 AM, HunnyBunny said:

Hi, I received my renunciation certificate yesterday. I didn’t track it at all. I almost had forgotten that I had applied for it!😅  Now journey for OCI card begins! Any suggestions?😃

I just completed all the process and mailed them last saturday for OCI .

Some tips before you even start anything .IT's a long process..

Scan and keep all the docs in pdf format less than 1000KB .(there will be ton of docs u need to scan and keep the soft copies)

Keep the photo image scanned or digital copy less than 500KB 

Keep the signature adjusted to 1:3 ration less than 500 KB.

Plan to get Notary if you applying for any minors 

Recommend to use VFS courier services for ease of completing the process .

if all the scans are ready each application should not take more than 30 mins to an hour to complete . 

It took few days for me collect and keep the docs organized in scanned format once thats done rest are ok to manage 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, zeal4thil said:

I just completed all the process and mailed them last saturday for OCI .

Some tips before you even start anything .IT's a long process..

Scan and keep all the docs in pdf format less than 1000KB .(there will be ton of docs u need to scan and keep the soft copies)

Keep the photo image scanned or digital copy less than 500KB 

Keep the signature adjusted to 1:3 ration less than 500 KB.

Plan to get Notary if you applying for any minors 

Recommend to use VFS courier services for ease of completing the process .

if all the scans are ready each application should not take more than 30 mins to an hour to complete . 

It took few days for me collect and keep the docs organized in scanned format once thats done rest are ok to manage 

Thanks for all the tips. It’s really helpful. But I already have finished submitting the application online. And just finished gathering all the prints of required documents. I did opt for VFS courier service. But when I tried to print labels, I could see only one label. For renunciation I remember getting two separate labels for sending n receiving. Did you also experience this?  Did you send your  original US passport? What about renunciation certificate? Copy only right?

48 minutes ago, HunnyBunny said:

Thanks for all the tips. It’s really helpful. But I already have finished submitting the application online. And just finished gathering all the prints of required documents. I did opt for VFS courier service. But when I tried to print labels, I could see only one label. For renunciation I remember getting two separate labels for sending n receiving. Did you also experience this?  Did you send your  original US passport? What about renunciation certificate? Copy only right?

VFS Changed the Process Feb 3 it seems and only one label is getting printed now .They will print the return labels for OCI & US Passport Return .This has been confirmed by a phone call to their CSR by some one's experience and posted in another forum .I also got only one label and had the same questions and got this info .So go ahead and ship it .

Yes WE have to send the original US Passport (this is listed in the Checklist of VFS docs ) and Copy of all other docs including Renunciation as copy.

• 1 month later...

Couple of questions as follows for Renunciation application for minor 

1. Sworn Affidavit has passport number and date of naturalization for both the parents. But in my case , only father is naturalized. What should I fill for mother .

2. Is there any sample letter to state why child does not possess naturalization certificate ? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.