mika__

Having trouble getting my SS# since offices are closed, what do I do I need it help

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

hi everyone

I moved to the USA November 22 on an IR1 visa

I used to live in the USA on a K1 visa back in 2012 to my now ex husband, divorced and moved back to my home country in 2014....and now im here again since Nov 22 on a IR1 visa to my new husband. 

Since I used to previously live in the USA back in 2012 I had a SS# here, however since I moved back to my home country in 2014 its been about 6 years since ive had the  US SS# physical card (I dont have it anymore, havent in years, have no idea where it went and I know thats not good) but I remember the number, just dont have the physical card so I need a replacement one

I need my SS# to open a bank account here. Tried multiple different banks and they require the physical SS# card. I need a bank open asap because I need to transfer my money in my Canadian bank account to a bank that I open in america. We are currently relying on just my husbands income until im able to transfer my money from my home country Canada into an account I can open here in USA. (Ive been trying to transfer my money to my husbands account but we are having issues)

Now heres my problem.

Social security offices arent open to fix this. I called them and was told I have to physically go into an office to get a replacement card, but since they are all closed, the agent told me I must Mail them a SS# replacement card application AND my actual physical copy of my greencard they said and my visa. Do they mail my greencard back in the mail with the replacement SS# card? how do I get my documents back?

Im not comfortable AT ALL, mailing my actual greencard/visa in the mail to them. If I could make copies and send it sure, but they want my actual passport/visa in the mail mailed to them.

When they say greencard thats my passport with my IRI visa in it right? (just to be sure)

I guess im more curious if any of you have recently been in this situation of having to mail your visa/greencard/passport in the mail to a SS office to get your SS# card and if you had any issues? (how long did it take to get your card in the mail?) did they send you your documents back?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am not sure I would mail a GC to the SSA.  Did you look at doing this online?  Do you have a CA drivers license or state ID?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

I tried doing it online the last week but it keeps suspending me. When I called SS# they said it suspends me on purpose because im not a US citizen (just a permanent resident) and because of that I have to do it in person (which I cant now because offices are closed) so she said my only option is to mail them my greencard and visa. They said the online is not available for non US citizens

I only have my permanent resident card that I just got the other day and my passport with my IR1 visa in it and thats all I have for US ID

Edited by mika__

Timeline

If the biggest issue is the bank account, personally I would push back on them regarding the need to have the physical SSC.  Beyond that I would wait until the SSA offices open back up before I would send that organization a physical GC or foreign passport.

https://morningcredit.com/open-bank-account-without-ssn/

Proabably not the exact answer you are looking for, but maybe it will help in your original problem. 

Can you try opening a bank account online ? I opened a Chase and BoA account checking online and had my debit cards sent to my home in 5 business days. Maybe that will help. 

If I were you, I would not send GC physical card in mail. Its not that you cannot trust SS, just that in the middle of pandaemic, with rules and procedures changing constantly, its more probable that things might go a-miss. 

34 minutes ago, betzzymathew said:

Proabably not the exact answer you are looking for, but maybe it will help in your original problem. 

Can you try opening a bank account online ? I opened a Chase and BoA account checking online and had my debit cards sent to my home in 5 business days. Maybe that will help. 

If I were you, I would not send GC physical card in mail. Its not that you cannot trust SS, just that in the middle of pandaemic, with rules and procedures changing constantly, its more probable that things might go a-miss. 

ya I tried online, but they ended up calling me and said because im not an american citizen that i need to make an appointment and come in and finish the rest of the account setup. And at this point they wouldnt let me finish opening an account without a physical ss card 😟

36 minutes ago, betzzymathew said:

I actually have Chase near me, I havent tried them yet. You had no issues opening with them you said? You did it all online no problem?

Timeline
17 minutes ago, mika__ said:

I actually have Chase near me, I havent tried them yet. You had no issues opening with them you said? You did it all online no problem?

Chase is on the list of banks that do not require a SSN to open an account.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I had a sort of similar situation but the lady I spoke to at SS knew the rules and that they could not request the original GC as you are required to have that on you at all times.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Wells Fargo will open an account for you without SSN. You can also open an account with a bank 100% online like Chime if you just want to send the money over. 

When I changed my name, I mailed my EAD to the SSA to get the name updated on the card. They mailed everything back. The card arrived 1 week later. 

I would send the passport with the visa, since that's also proof of LPR status. And if it gets lost, it's easier to replace than the GC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.