R. Wolfe

How are you going the SS offices in person?

16 posts in this topic

Reading through these forums, I see people saying that they went in to the Social Security Office and got things done. I want to do that as well, but the SS website says:

"All local Social Security offices will be closed to the public for in-person service starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020.

So is this just a local thing (I'm in Pittsburgh), or are places still open by appointment? 

And this is assuming we do still have to go in, in person, to apply for a Social Security Card (on a K-1 visa, married last month) right?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 hours ago, x3n said:

Reading through these forums, I see people saying that they went in to the Social Security Office and got things done. I want to do that as well, but the SS website says:

"All local Social Security offices will be closed to the public for in-person service starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020.

So is this just a local thing (I'm in Pittsburgh), or are places still open by appointment? 

And this is assuming we do still have to go in, in person, to apply for a Social Security Card (on a K-1 visa, married last month) right?

I am running into this as well in Portland, OR - I'm currently ON HOLD with the SSA for 30 minutes...  The initial hold time was estimated at 1.5 HOURS!  I'm furious!  I visited the closest office to me and it was completely LOCKED with NO way to access a person to even ask a question.  SO infuriating!  We are getting married on Friday (*YAY*) and trying to apply before we are married, as recommended, but this is ridiculous!

The application form states that any NEW card applicant MUST apply in person, so how is that supposed to happen if you can't even access the office?  I'm NOT sending his passport (with the I94 attached) through the mail. 

I tried calling the local SS office but it hung up on me when I selected the "Speak to a Person" option.

So the SS offices are closed until further notice so in-person visits are impossible.

Applying for a new SS card with a K-1 requires an in-person visit.

Calling to ask questions or try to schedule an appointment is impossible.

I guess that's the end of that.   😕

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
44 minutes ago, x3n said:

I tried calling the local SS office but it hung up on me when I selected the "Speak to a Person" option.

So the SS offices are closed until further notice so in-person visits are impossible.

Applying for a new SS card with a K-1 requires an in-person visit.

Calling to ask questions or try to schedule an appointment is impossible.

I guess that's the end of that.   😕

Call other offices. You don't need to apply for it at your local one. Most people had success calling a different city to make the appointment.

To follow up: we got it done.

I called that same office again and the call went through this time so was able to ask what to do. I was told to (physically) mail my request for an appointment, along with the SS-5? form and supporting docs (I sent the I-94, print outs of the passport + VISA + stamp, and our marriage cert) to our local SS office. A couple of days after I did that we got a call from the guy at the local SS office and were told to come in the next day for our appointment. We signed some papers, answered some questions, verified the info was correct, and that was that. We were told that they usually get new cards sent out within 2 weeks, but since this one had to be verified by another agency - and with Covid and all - he expects it could  add a month or so - but they'd mail us the SSN card when it's ready.

So I think that's taken care of and we can move on to the next thing in the list (which, today, is health insurance).

Timeline

I called our local card office and shockingly they picked up the phone immediately. Basically need to send in the application, copy of passport page, and copy of green card. They'll then mail an interview appointment to you - it's looking like 2-4 weeks now.  Also they can check if a SSN was issued and perhaps the card simply got lost in the mail.

Edited by RamonGomez

• 4 weeks later...

That's funny. After I mailed in our application, we got called in for an appointment immediately (like 3 days between putting it in the mail and us going to the SSA office). But now it's been 4 weeks since we did the appointment and we're still waiting on the card to arrive. Since the I-485 asks for an SSN ("if any"), I'd like to have it before filing - but time is running out.

Timeline

57 minutes ago, x3n said:

That's funny. After I mailed in our application, we got called in for an appointment immediately (like 3 days between putting it in the mail and us going to the SSA office). But now it's been 4 weeks since we did the appointment and we're still waiting on the card to arrive. Since the I-485 asks for an SSN ("if any"), I'd like to have it before filing - but time is running out.

I've heard that the office can print off a temporary card or at least write your number down on a piece of paper, did you ask for one when you went? Also how long did the whole process take when you were at the SSA office?   You could consider calling the office again to inquire about the status as well

Edited by RamonGomez

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, x3n said:

Never delay filing for AOS because of SSN.

Timeline

Update: went yesterday, we got there early but they let us in after checking the name off the roster. 

We were in and out in less than 3 minutes, we had the application pre-filled. They didn't check anything other than her passport and visa, no questions or even photocopies. This was for a child so it could have been a little easier. Card should arrive within two weeks according to them. 

>

how long did the whole process take when you were at the SSA office?

>

It took like 10 or 15 minutes to run through the questions and wait for him to type things into the computer.

There was certainly no indication that an actual number was assigned at that point, and no receipt that I recall, just a comment that it usually took a couple of weeks to get the card in the mail but Covid and all that would likely push that out to 4-6 weeks. We're going to go ahead and send in theI-485  paperwork rather than wait on the SSN any longer. Hopefully it won't cause any problems down the road.

Correction: we did get a "receipt". He must have handed it to my wife because she had it filed away. It's a one page piece of paper with a reference number, listing the date we filed, and some general info.

It also says she can work while waiting for her SSN if her immigration status allows. I believe, however, that a K-1 does NOT allow that (since a work permit is part of the pile of paperwork we're filing with the I-485)?

Timeline
6 hours ago, x3n said:

Correction: we did get a "receipt". He must have handed it to my wife because she had it filed away. It's a one page piece of paper with a reference number, listing the date we filed, and some general info.

It also says she can work while waiting for her SSN if her immigration status allows. I believe, however, that a K-1 does NOT allow that (since a work permit is part of the pile of paperwork we're filing with the I-485)?

We got that same receipt with a reference number, and were told to call if the card doesn't arrive in 10 business days. But yes, file AOS ASAP ASAP ASAP so you have the NOA in hand keeping your wife in status. There's absolutely no need for an SSN when sending the I-485 and my guess is 99% of family-based AOS applicants don't have one when they file.

In some states having the SSN will make things like getting a bank account, health insurance, or driver's license easier, but ultimately in our state my wife wasn't able to do much until she had the EAD. Fortunately back in those days the EAD took 3-4 months.

Edited by RamonGomez

10 hours ago, x3n said:

that a K-1 does NOT allow that

She'll need either EAD or GC to be able to work.

10 hours ago, x3n said:

It also says she can work while waiting for her SSN if her immigration status allows.

Yup, SSN not required to start work. For E-verify, the employer can select "Awaiting Social Security number." https://www.e-verify.gov/faq/my-employee-applied-for-a-social-security-number-ssn-but-has-not-yet-received-it-what-should-i

Also: https://www.twc.texas.gov/news/efte/employees_without_ssns.html "It is certainly legal to hire someone who is authorized to work in this country, but who does not have a social security number or who chooses not to disclose it."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.