Keila_27

How SSA offices process name change during COVID

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I was wondering if my topic falls under this forum. I just wanted to ask if anyone has processed their name change (maiden to married) at any local SSA offices? I called a local office and it’s only thru mail that they can process it. My worry is, they need all the requirements in original form. They need original marriage license and the greencard together with the SSA form to be mailed to them. I’m just worrying about any possibility that my documents will get lost during the process (Note* They will return back the originals as stated in their website).  Has anyone did this already and successfully got their documents back? 😬 just getting paranoid here as I’ll be processing ROC in the near future. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It bothered me to send my originals thru the Mail USPS when i had to applied to SS for widow's benefits (not local office and even out of the state) but SS said only way to do it

I did it thru UPS with a return full size paid for UPS envelope with my address (USC born here citizen so mine was just a birth,  his death certificate, ad our marriage certificate but i didn't want to loss them either)

I felt UPS or FedEx was safer

I also didn't change my name with the SSA yet, because I refuse to send all my original documents by mail 😬

But I don't think it's a big deal. My driver's license, greencard, bank account, insurances and work information are all with my married name and no one has complained so far, even though my SSN is still connected to my maiden name.

So I will definitely wait to change it until I the offices will reopen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I submitted my original certificate of Naturalization to update my citizenship. I received my original document back three days later. I used USPS. No issues.

K1 VISA

02-18-2015 (day 0 ): I-129f sent

02-24-2015 (day 6 ): NOA 1

03-17-2015 (day 21): NOA 2

05-08-2015 (day 52): Interview (Approved) :yes:

05-16-2015 (day 60): Visa in hand

06-19-2015 (day 91): US entry :dance:

08-22-2015: Marriage :wub:

AOS - EAD - AP

09-12-2015 (day 0): AOS, EAD and AP sent

09-15-2015 (day 3): Package delivered and received

09-17-2015 (day 5) : NOA 1 :thumbs:

10-06-2015 (day 24): Biometrics done!! :content:

10-28-2015 (day 46): Interview scheduled :dancing:

11-12-2015 (day 62): EAD and AP approved!! :thumbs:

11-17-2015 (day 67): EAD card was mailed to me!! :clock:

11-20-2015 (day 70): EAD and AP (Combo Card) was received by mail. :yes:

12-01-2015 (day 81): Interview day!!...My Green card was approved! :thumbs:

12-01-2015 (day 81): My new card is being produced :)

12-04-2015 (day 84): My Green Card was mailed to me :)

12-10-2015 (day 90): Green Card in hand!! :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.