Pats5415

Updating SSN during Covid

47 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Valor said:

Do they ask citizenship status when filling tax? I don't recall seeing the question?

It’s a question on my tax preparation worksheet from my tax person, I assume it is somewhere in the irs stuff. In fact it must be if the IRS can apply the green card test, yes?

17 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

It’s a question on my tax preparation worksheet from my tax person, I assume it is somewhere in the irs stuff. In fact it must be if the IRS can apply the green card test, yes?

I was under the impression that for tax purposes there's only resident alien and nonresident alien, and both US citizens and GC holders are in the resident alien category. I don't remember seeing a question specifically asking whether the filer is a US citizen, but I wanted to make sure that's the case. 

Edited by Valor
N400

11.06.2019...........Application Submitted Online
11.16.2019............Receive Biometrics Letter in mail
11.29.2019............Biometrics done
08.17.2020............Interview Scheduled

09.21.2020............Interview, approved

09.22.2020............Oath Ceremony

4 minutes ago, Valor said:

I was under the impression that for tax purposes there's only resident alien and nonresident alien, and both US citizens and GC holders are in the resident alien category. I don't remember seeing a question specifically asking whether the filer is a US citizen, but I wanted to make sure that's the case. 

Honestly, I don’t know. I only made that statement because people here were claiming it’s a problem if you haven’t updated with SSA, when it obviously isn’t.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

just want to see if you guys have an idea -  I am still waiting for SSA office to reopen for this update. Will it effect my traveling using US passport if I haven't updated my status change to Social security record? Thank you.

I-751 Process:

VSC received Petition: June 18, 2018
NOA Date: June 20, 2018
Biometrics Date: July 26, 2018
Approval Date: July 12, 2019
Card received Date: July 20, 2019

N-400 Process:
N400 filed online: July 20, 2019
Biometrics Date: August 12, 2019
Interview Date: October 6, 2020
Approval Date: October 9, 2020
Oath Ceremony scheduled notice: October 14, 2020
Oath Ceremony Date: November 24, 2020

3 hours ago, Gijo12 said:

just want to see if you guys have an idea -  I am still waiting for SSA office to reopen for this update. Will it effect my traveling using US passport if I haven't updated my status change to Social security record? Thank you.

No

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, Eli_za said:

Is anyone else waiting on social security office to update citizenship status? 

I already did it and you can see my post about it here (I meant Monday Oct. 4th):

Edited by EternalForeigner

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

N-400 FILED ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

BIOMETRICS REUSE NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

RECEIPT NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE ONLINE: JULY 13, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: JULY 19, 2021

INTERVIEW DATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

APPROVAL, OATH CEREMONY AND CERTIFICATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 
Aug. 23: Check cashed. 

Sep. 21: Status changed to "Approved” then “Shipped” later in the day.

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

Sep. 25: Passport card delivered. 
Oct. 4: Naturalization certificate delivered. 

On 6/2/2021 at 4:24 PM, Gijo12 said:

I’m also waiting for the to open to the public. They’re not giving appts to do in person. And I’m not comfortable sending my original document. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Eli_za said:

I’m also waiting for the to open to the public. They’re not giving appts to do in person. And I’m not comfortable sending my original document. 

I haven’t done it yet.

I-751 Process:

VSC received Petition: June 18, 2018
NOA Date: June 20, 2018
Biometrics Date: July 26, 2018
Approval Date: July 12, 2019
Card received Date: July 20, 2019

N-400 Process:
N400 filed online: July 20, 2019
Biometrics Date: August 12, 2019
Interview Date: October 6, 2020
Approval Date: October 9, 2020
Oath Ceremony scheduled notice: October 14, 2020
Oath Ceremony Date: November 24, 2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
4 hours ago, Eli_za said:

Is anyone else waiting on social security office to update citizenship status? 

I've been waiting too, became a citizen in March. I called my local SSA months ago and they refused to give me an appointment and wanted me to send my documents via mail. I don't like that idea so I have been waiting. 

Called SSA again the other day and now they had changed their strategy a bit, instead of me sending my documents via mail, they now asked me to fax the SS-5 and photocopies of DL, NC and name change document. They said it will take 3-4 weeks for them to get back with me, then they will ask me to come over in person with the originals. I guess so they can verify that the copies are exact copies of the originals. 

I faxed the form and photocopies today, we'll see how it goes.. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

2 hours ago, Scandi said:

I've been waiting too, became a citizen in March. I called my local SSA months ago and they refused to give me an appointment and wanted me to send my documents via mail. I don't like that idea so I have been waiting. 

Called SSA again the other day and now they had changed their strategy a bit, instead of me sending my documents via mail, they now asked me to fax the SS-5 and photocopies of DL, NC and name change document. They said it will take 3-4 weeks for them to get back with me, then they will ask me to come over in person with the originals. I guess so they can verify that the copies are exact copies of the originals. 

oh that’s useful info - I’ll contact ours and see if we can do that too.  

Timeline
On 10/7/2021 at 6:13 PM, Scandi said:

Got a call back today from the SSA, exactly one week after I faxed my documents to them. Quick!

The lady scheduled me to come in on Tuesday the 19th to show my originals, she specifically asked me to bring four documents: the Naturalization Certificate, the name change document, my Driver License and my US passport. 

She said there will be an assistant who is not in any way connected to my case collecting my originals, making sure they're "authentic" and making copies of them. She said I will not meet or see her at all, only the assistant, and it will be a 2 minute visit for me and I will take my originals with me when I leave. 

So that seems quick and easy, glad they finally agreed to not have originals sent via snail mail and instead do it this way. 👍 

Once all this is done I can finally go get myself a Real ID.. 

16 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Got a call back today from the SSA, exactly one week after I faxed my documents to them. Quick!

The lady scheduled me to come in on Tuesday the 19th to show my originals, she specifically asked me to bring four documents: the Naturalization Certificate, the name change document, my Driver License and my US passport. 

She said there will be an assistant who is not in any way connected to my case collecting my originals, making sure they're "authentic" and making copies of them. She said I will not meet or see her at all, only the assistant, and it will be a 2 minute visit for me and I will take my originals with me when I leave. 

So that seems quick and easy, glad they finally agreed to not have originals sent via snail mail and instead do it this way. 👍 

Once all this is done I can finally go get myself a Real ID.. 

Hello, what state are you at? 

I’m in Houston, TX. I will call next week. Hopefully I will get lucky and get an in-person appt. 

what is a real ID?  

Also did you have to send your original naturalization certificate for your passport???

Timeline
4 hours ago, Eli_za said:

Hello, what state are you at? 

I’m in Houston, TX. I will call next week. Hopefully I will get lucky and get an in-person appt. 

what is a real ID?  

Also did you have to send your original naturalization certificate for your passport???

I'm in CA, Los Angeles county. A Real ID is a special state ID or drivers license that gives you permission to enter federal buildings and board airplanes within the country. You can't do that with a regular state drivers license or ID anymore (or won't be able to very soon). You can still do all these things with your passport, but most of us prefer to use our drivers licenses instead as the passport is so expensive if we were to lose it. 

Everyone has to send their original naturalization certificate when they apply for their first US passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.