ponyo_rocks

Certificate of citizenship/N600 experience

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Applied for minor child's N-600 mid-July online at the San Jose office. Got certificate in hand Oct 30. There was a biometrics appointment end of September. We got an interview letter in mid October, just one week before the appointment! We could have easily missed this letter. We didn't see this doc online at all and there was no status update online. Just keep your eyes open for the mail. 

Interview was a 10 minute "certificate pickup" affair. In and out after a quick ID check and parent's signature in presence of IO. Both child and only one parent attended. Other parent was asked to wait outside due to covid rules. We didnt have a US passport or green card - it was stuck with DOS so had to explain that to officer. 

For the actual application, provided all types of proof online - school fees receipt, school records, more than what they ask for. I just didn't want to deal with RFEs. 

Disclaimer - I know this doc is optional, but got it for my peace of mind. It came faster than passport, which is now stuck due to covid and document delays specific to our case. I also don't have my child's original birth certificate, which you need for passport but not for N600, so at this time N600 is the only proof of my child's citizenship. 

Thanks @SusieQQQ for your post on the same topic. I wrote a separate post so people who are interested have more data points. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: South Korea
Timeline
On 10/31/2020 at 10:57 PM, ponyo_rocks said:

Applied for minor child's N-600 mid-July online at the San Jose office. Got certificate in hand Oct 30. There was a biometrics appointment end of September. We got an interview letter in mid October, just one week before the appointment! We could have easily missed this letter. We didn't see this doc online at all and there was no status update online. Just keep your eyes open for the mail. 

Interview was a 10 minute "certificate pickup" affair. In and out after a quick ID check and parent's signature in presence of IO. Both child and only one parent attended. Other parent was asked to wait outside due to covid rules. We didnt have a US passport or green card - it was stuck with DOS so had to explain that to officer. 

For the actual application, provided all types of proof online - school fees receipt, school records, more than what they ask for. I just didn't want to deal with RFEs. 

Disclaimer - I know this doc is optional, but got it for my peace of mind. It came faster than passport, which is now stuck due to covid and document delays specific to our case. I also don't have my child's original birth certificate, which you need for passport but not for N600, so at this time N600 is the only proof of my child's citizenship. 

Thanks @SusieQQQ for your post on the same topic. I wrote a separate post so people who are interested have more data points. 

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you got certificate :) 

I am wondering how your passport application goes. I think we are in the same boat. I sent my child's green card to DOS as an evidence, and haven't gotten US passport/green card over 6 months. 

I had planned to apply for N-600 after receiving his passport, but just applied because passport process took so much longer than expected. 

I have no idea what is wrong with his passport application. 

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 12/9/2020 at 2:31 PM, PJseo said:

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you got certificate :) 

I am wondering how your passport application goes. I think we are in the same boat. I sent my child's green card to DOS as an evidence, and haven't gotten US passport/green card over 6 months. 

I had planned to apply for N-600 after receiving his passport, but just applied because passport process took so much longer than expected. 

I have no idea what is wrong with his passport application. 

I still havent received my child's passport. We applied in March 2019 and got RFE in July. Sent RFE in September and no response since then!

Filed: IR-2 Country: South Korea
Timeline
1 hour ago, ponyo_rocks said:

I still havent received my child's passport. We applied in March 2019 and got RFE in July. Sent RFE in September and no response since then!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. 

I wanted to let you know that my son's passport was issued and delivered! 

I haven't gotten any updated from the passport agency since last August, so I ended up turning to a Congressman and the office helped me to proceed. 

Stronly recommend that you reach out to your representative! 

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 11/1/2020 at 12:57 AM, ponyo_rocks said:

Hello and thank you for posting your experience. I’ll be picking up my child’s certificate in some days and just like your situation, my child’s green card is stuck with Dept of states and we are yet to get his passport. Did you need any form of ID for your minor? For entrance to uscis building or the actual interview?

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 3/31/2021 at 3:31 AM, ashmed246 said:

Hello and thank you for posting your experience. I’ll be picking up my child’s certificate in some days and just like your situation, my child’s green card is stuck with Dept of states and we are yet to get his passport. Did you need any form of ID for your minor? For entrance to uscis building or the actual interview?

I think I took my kid's passport & global entry card as forms of ID. I presented both and they were fine with it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, ponyo_rocks said:

I think I took my kid's passport & global entry card as forms of ID. I presented both and they were fine with it. 

Oh thank you! They didn’t even check his ID when I picked it up. 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello everyone. My wife and I just naturalized about ten days ago. We have a seven year old, who has automatically derived citizenship from us since she was already a permanent resident in our custody at the time of our naturalization. We would now like to get her her citizenship certificate and her passport, and confused about the process. I tried to fill out the N-600 electronically through my own myuscis account, but the application gets stuck when the system sees that her birth date that I enter doesn’t match my birth date, which seems to be the only birth date associated with my myuscis account. I am therefore thinking I’ll need to open a new myuscis account for her, and apply for the citizenship cert using the N-600 form through there. Is that what you all did? Is there an easier way?

Related to that, in what sequence have you applied for your kids’ passport vs the citizenship certificate? We have a passport appointment this Friday at our post office. Will they take away her green card, or just look at it/make a copy and give it back? If they take it, I’m guessing that’s going to interfere with the N-600/citizenship certificate process, as I would imagine the same green card would also be needed for that application. I’d appreciate any insights you may be able to provide on these two docs. 

Edited by Kaptan

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 11:00 PM, Kaptan said:

Hello everyone. My wife and I just naturalized about ten days ago. We have a seven year old, who has automatically derived citizenship from us since she was already a permanent resident in our custody at the time of our naturalization. We would now like to get her her citizenship certificate and her passport, and confused about the process. I tried to fill out the N-600 electronically through my own myuscis account, but the application gets stuck when the system sees that her birth date that I enter doesn’t match my birth date, which seems to be the only birth date associated with my myuscis account. I am therefore thinking I’ll need to open a new myuscis account for her, and apply for the citizenship cert using the N-600 form through there. Is that what you all did? Is there an easier way?

Related to that, in what sequence have you applied for your kids’ passport vs the citizenship certificate? We have a passport appointment this Friday at our post office. Will they take away her green card, or just look at it/make a copy and give it back? If they take it, I’m guessing that’s going to interfere with the N-600/citizenship certificate process, as I would imagine the same green card would also be needed for that application. I’d appreciate any insights you may be able to provide on these two docs. 

I created a separate account for my kid to file their N-600. Don't forget to add yourself as a "preparer". When you go through the N-600 there is an error: there is a question about your "Country of citizenship" and you naturally answer US. However if you generate N-600 when you review your answers, look at Part IV question 4. The question is what is your "Country of PRIOR citizenship." Very misleading. 

I filed N-600 and immediately submitted a FOIA request to get my child's A-file. I hope this will speed things up. 

Regarding the passport, IMO it is better to file N-600 first and get a passport you have filed N-600. Based on what I've read so far, the process is riddled with RFEs and complications that delay the processing of passport application for derived citizen children.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free... and who will not become a public charge!

• 5 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi everyone, I hope I can add my questions to this threat. From reading your answers here, you all seemed to have a pretty straight forward process. 

USCIS has had our applications since January this year and I am still waiting to here anything for my kids. Is this normal? I don’t even think anyone has even touched the application yet. Both of my kids have their passports and SSN, all we need is their certificates. We live overseas and at this point with all the exploding costs, I am getting more and more worried about a trip to the US on short notice. 

How long does it currently take for a n-600 application (or is it a petition?) to get adjudicated?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.