Structure

Passport expire during when removing condition case is pending

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

thanks for reading my question. I submitted my case to remove my condition on my green card in 7/2020, my passport will expire 2/2021, I have two questions.

1. I didn’t include my passport in my removing condition package I sent to USCIS, and instead I included my green card and state ID. And my passport is in another state and with the quarantine, Do I need to fly there to get it so that I can replace my passport? I locked I the drawer so no one can open it and mail it to me. Or I can wait after the COVID to pass and probably replace it later next year. 

2. Once I replace my passport, do I need go let the USCIS know that my passport number changed? Since I had included my passport in my initial application for the green card but not when removing condition.

thanks, 

55 minutes ago, Structure said:

Hi all,

thanks for reading my question. I submitted my case to remove my condition on my green card in 7/2020, my passport will expire 2/2021, I have two questions.

1. I didn’t include my passport in my removing condition package I sent to USCIS, and instead I included my green card and state ID. And my passport is in another state and with the quarantine, Do I need to fly there to get it so that I can replace my passport? I locked I the drawer so no one can open it and mail it to me. Or I can wait after the COVID to pass and probably replace it later next year. 

2. Once I replace my passport, do I need go let the USCIS know that my passport number changed? Since I had included my passport in my initial application for the green card but not when removing condition.

thanks, 

This is what i don't get from other applicants,or even from my friends. No matter how many times i study the ROC instructions, there's no sentence saying to submit passport copy.

Well,i submitted my ROC on Wednesday without passport copy.

But let's wait for other people who might experience the needs of passport copy.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, Structure said:

Hi all,

thanks, 

No. You don't need to update them about any changes with your passport. They aren't really concerned with it. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

9 hours ago, Genski92 said:

This is what i don't get from other applicants,or even from my friends. No matter how many times i study the ROC instructions, there's no sentence saying to submit passport copy.

But let's wait for other people who might experience the needs of passport copy.

We didn't send ours either, they didn't even mention it for evidence

13 hours ago, Genski92 said:

Thank you all! If that’s the case, I don’t need to replace my passport now? I can let it expire and after the COVID gets better I can replace my passport then?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Structure said:

Thank you all! If that’s the case, I don’t need to replace my passport now? I can let it expire and after the COVID gets better I can replace my passport then?

After your passport expires it will be impossible to travel abroad without getting a new one, and depending on your country of origin, it can take much longer and require more documents to get a new passport vs. renewing one that is still valid.  If it were me, I would do everything possible to get the passport renewed a couple of months before it expires, just to have it ready in case there is an urgent need to travel to your home country.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
1 hour ago, Structure said:

If you are interested in travelling abroad, you need your passport but per USCIS and ROC...you are good. I didn't submit passport either and my case was approved.

Renewing your passport is different from replacing it. Since you have one that still got some months left on it. I would suggest you check your country of origin embassy about renewing your passport before it expires. Some countries do allow renewing an expired passport provided you are not in hurry to travel.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.