22 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Joint sponsor has not moved. Nothing to do unless or untilhe does.   I865 is paper based only.

Alright, thanks so much, I will go ahead and mail in my I-865 tomorrow, says I need to submit it to the Nebraska service center.  I have read through all of the instructions, I can't seem to find anything else needed to submit with it, no ID or anything, seems a little strange just submitting a single document to USCIS, but hey I'll take it.  

Should I be worried at all about something happening to me since I am mailing this in outside the 30 days?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
10 hours ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Me(main sponsor, she also has a joint-sponsor who is my dad) and my wife who is Conditional Green Card holder moved on August 17th.  We remembered to change address with every last place, even down to the little things, but somehow we forgot to change address for both me and her on USCIS.  We did some reading and it is stated that it is punishable up to deportation since we forgot to change her address within the 10 days.  Does she have to worry about being deported, or not being granted her I-751 because we were about 2 months late notifying the change of address???

She fills out the change of address form and I do aswell since I am the main sponsor for her I-864?

thank you in advance, all help is great as we are freaking out a little bit atm, worried that she is in deportation status 🤢😰

If people were being deported for not changing addresses, some of us would have been deported long time.ago lol. Relax and change your address. 

Went and got the I-865 mailed off this morning, also got the AR-11 submitted for the Change of Address on USCIS.  Thanks all for the help, and the reassurance that everything is alright. Hey when you see punishments such as deportation/fines/misdemeanor can cause worry, but we know now with all of your help everything is alright.  Love being able to count on community here at VJ, thanks again.

Edited by Kerri and Myles

19 hours ago, Kerri and Myles said:

I can possibly get a misdemeanor for not notifying my address change within 30 days

For I-865 it doesn't say misdemeanor. It says civil penalty: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-865instr.pdf A civil penalty is a non-criminal remedy for a party’s violations of laws or regulations.

But enforcement is very rare.

On 10/17/2020 at 5:32 PM, HRQX said:

For I-865 it doesn't say misdemeanor. It says civil penalty: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-865instr.pdf A civil penalty is a non-criminal remedy for a party’s violations of laws or regulations.

oh okay, thank you so much for the clarification

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On 10/17/2020 at 5:32 PM, HRQX said:

"A civil penalty is a non-criminal remedy..." basically some officer will make some noise for one hour then let you on your way lol.

I sent off the I-865, and USPS tracking said it made it there, and everything is good.  My question is, do I get a confirmation that USCIS has gotten it and processed the address change?  An email from USCIS or are they going to mail something to me?

Thanks in advance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.