BBlueB

Interview experience

11 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, BBlueB said:

Hi all,

Here’s my interview experience at the Boston office.

First, the agent asked my name, address, how I received the green card (and what date I received the green card), wife’s name, her birthday, child, and so on.

Second, the civics and history test, reading/writing test.

What is the “rule of law”?

Who makes federal laws?

What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?

What is freedom of religion?

The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words?

How many amendments does the Constitution have?

Then, the agent asked me why I want to become a U.S. citizen, and asked about my education background in the US, and what I’m exactly doing at work. Then, went through all those yes/no questions. Then asked me about the meaning of “full allegiance to the U.S.” . Then later I heard that I passed the interview. Unfortunately, the same day oath wasn't available, so I'm waiting for the oath schedule.

I think that the interview was little tougher than expected as all these took around 30 mins, and I got asked on every aspect that I could think of. I think that it all depends on what agent you get to have interview with. My suggestion is to (1) study what you put in your n400 application, (2) see those youtube videos (interview simulation video) (those helped me a lot), (3) youtube videos on the n400 words

Plus, if you’re in Boston, be sure to arrive and park in the nearby parking at least one hour before, or even earlier if you can. In my case, there was much traffic, it was raining, and the parking place was full, so I had to park little far and walk to the building, almost missing the interview time (I wasn’t late but I was extremely stressed out in doing so).

Good luck everyone !

Very happy for you. LOL I remember you were the one asking about what to answer concerning the senators/officials of MA. Now you can relax.

10 hours ago, ThaOne said:

Very happy for you. LOL I remember you were the one asking about what to answer concerning the senators/officials of MA. Now you can relax.

Thanks ! Overpreparing certainly paid off :)

4 minutes ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

Mine was let me see your green card, the 6 questions, sign the iPad, and approved.

No english test, no other questions. 

I think it helped I was fluent in American/English.

Not necessarily because you are fluent. I am sure many people who are fluent were asked to take the tests as it is normally required. These things sometimes really depend on who interviews you, how much in a hurry that person is, whether there is a pandemic, how backed up their office is, how new that person is on the job... But for sure if someone walks in and has complete difficulties communicating then for sure that person would get the english test while on the other hand nothing is guaranteed.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, ThaOne said:

Not necessarily because you are fluent. I am sure many people who are fluent were asked to take the tests as it is normally required. These things sometimes really depend on who interviews you, how much in a hurry that person is, whether there is a pandemic, how backed up their office is, how new that person is on the job... But for sure if someone walks in and has complete difficulties communicating then for sure that person would get the english test while on the other hand nothing is guaranteed.  

This was pre-pandemic, the officer looked like a 30 year career government employee. 

An experienced USCIS officer can read a person very well. 

Its a fact if you assimilate, you're treated in a better manner. More so in other countries than the US.

I controlled the interview!! 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 10/16/2020 at 11:09 AM, BBlueB said:

Thanks ! Overpreparing certainly paid off :)

What did you apply your N-400 based on?  What documents did you bring to your interview?  Thank you 

5 minutes ago, Cantik said:

.......What documents did you bring to your interview?  Thank you 

I'm assuming you are asking because you have yours coming up.

The answer you are looking for is very, very simple.

Bring everything with you

Everything you have ever sent and everything you have not sent (yet). Regardless of the base you are filing on, you bring everything.

Stuff goes missing, stuff gets overlooked and sometimes they ask for stuff you never thought of. Bring all the paperwork (you should have a nice file yourself by now). A few more lbs in paperwork is better than having to answer "I have that, but not with me" and getting delayed a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Cantik said:

What did you apply your N-400 based on?  What documents did you bring to your interview?  Thank you 

Yes, as it was mentioned above, I brought everything. 

For reference, there is other forum's link that recommends what documents to bring. If you want, let me know, I'll msg you the link.

(Looks like I can't put other forum's website address here)

Edited by BBlueB

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, BBlueB said:

For reference, there is other forum's link that recommends what documents to bring. If you want, let me know, I'll msg you the link.

That would be great. Thank you 

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
On 10/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, BBlueB said:

Hello Blue,

Could you please also send me that link? I'm nervous about the interview and every little thing helps!

Thank you in advance,

Sofia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.