Hannahl4211

Health insurance proof for interview

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I have seen a couple people say they had to provide proof of health insurance for once they are in the USA at their interview, and I was wondering how you might do that?  

My husband doesn't have health insurance (another story.... he missed the last cut off), but I am a teacher so I am assuming I will get benefits with a new job. I also intend to get both of us HI as soon as I land there in the meantime, but I just don't know how I would prove this at interview? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Hannahl4211 said:

Hi everyone!

I have seen a couple people say they had to provide proof of health insurance for once they are in the USA at their interview, and I was wondering how you might do that?  

My husband doesn't have health insurance (another story.... he missed the last cut off), but I am a teacher so I am assuming I will get benefits with a new job. I also intend to get both of us HI as soon as I land there in the meantime, but I just don't know how I would prove this at interview? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

At the moment, the presidential proclamation on Health Care is blocked.

image.thumb.png.071d68e7f91ece4669c2e4272f379741.png

So you should not be required, as I understand it, to show proof.

If anything, you can look for temporary insurance to buy as a means to show your intention to purchase (you could bring copies of this with the policies you find on line).

This is my plan in case they ask anything of the sort is needed for my spouse so she has this available at the interview.

You would not be able to purchase insurance anyway until you are inside of the US (This is my understanding).

3 minutes ago, GringoCarioca said:

At the moment, the presidential proclamation on Health Care is blocked.

image.thumb.png.071d68e7f91ece4669c2e4272f379741.png

So you should not be required, as I understand it, to show proof.

If anything, you can look for temporary insurance to buy as a means to show your intention to purchase (you could bring copies of this with the policies you find on line).

This is my plan in case they ask anything of the sort is needed for my spouse so she has this available at the interview.

You would not be able to purchase insurance anyway until you are inside of the US (This is my understanding).

That's what I thought! You can't get HI until you are a citizen and you aren't a citizen until you have your green card... I will definitely look into temporary insurance, that is a good idea. I don't want to be without it anyway, regardless if they ask or not! It will be interesting to see whether they question about this! 

6 minutes ago, Hannahl4211 said:

That's what I thought! You can't get HI until you are a citizen and you aren't a citizen until you have your green card... I will definitely look into temporary insurance, that is a good idea. I don't want to be without it anyway, regardless if they ask or not! It will be interesting to see whether they question about this! 

You don't need to be a citizen to purchase health insurance.

I just think there is something with residency you need to show in order to purchase local health insurance.

1 hour ago, Hannahl4211 said:

You do not need to be a citizen to get health insurance. 

If you are a green card holder, then you are not a citizen. Citizens do not have green cards, residents do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Hannahl4211 said:

Were those London interviews or some other consulate? I haven’t seen anybody who’s interviewed since the embassy reopened mention being asked about insurance.

3 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Were those London interviews or some other consulate? I haven’t seen anybody who’s interviewed since the embassy reopened mention being asked about insurance.

I'll be completely honest, not entirely sure.. it was on a facebook group, not VisaJourney! I just wanted to be prepared in case they do! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I see you have yet to interview, do you have a job offer, a start date, or do you intend initially for your Husband to sortout cover during open enrollment.

Immigration does allow you buy immediately for you, well it takes a little time to become effective.

May just be a question of timing.

PS I thought Washington opened enrollment due to the Covid?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.