Ozii

US Domicile

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Iraq
Timeline
5 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Some embassies/consulates are more strict than others at enforcing "US domicile," or "intent to re-establish US domicile."  You have been living abroad for 6 years, so they may look closely at your situation.  Some have been successful by showing documents like a lease, job offer, etc. in the US.  Be prepared to move to the US before your spouse if necessary.  Good luck!

Thanks so much!

Filed: Other Country: Iraq
Timeline
2 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

You have a giant domicile issue.

Even though you consider the US your permanent home, that is not enough to prove domicile.  You've been living abroad for 6 years.  

A domicile is a home (house) that you leave with the intent to return to after a brief absence.  Your parents just moved to a new home and gave up their old home.  You can't use their new home as your domicile since you've never lived there.  You can't use their old home as your domicile since they no longer live there.

Your only real solution is to come back and establish a new domicile.

Immigration often involves separation.  Sometimes there is no way to avoid it.  

Youre absolutely right, i think im going to come back live with my parents until my spouse arrives

How will you support yourself and your immigrant spouse if you don’t work?   You expect the joint sponsor to do that?

So a military contractor working for US government interests in Iraq earns less than $12,000 a year? That’s shocking! 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 minute ago, Ozii said:

Yes and he has been.

So your dad will support you and your wife indefinitely?

6 hours ago, JFH said:

So a military contractor working for US government interests in Iraq earns less than $12,000 a year? That’s shocking! 

On the face of it I agree, but in local purchasing power terms it may well be a very comfortable salary.

8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

On the face of it I agree, but in local purchasing power terms it may well be a very comfortable salary.

It would be a job that only a local would do. Nobody based in the US with a family here would be able to do it. In the UK such contractors for the military in Iraq do it for the explicit reason that it makes very good money. They send the money home and it’s so good that their wives don’t need to work, they can have a very nice, comfortable life. Truckers, for example, can make over $100,000 a year there trucking military supplies around. Danger money, if you will. I can’t imagine anyone based in the US moving to Iraq for a less than $12k annual salary, working in something probably very dangerous and think they’ve got a good deal. 

But it seems that is the case here...

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

9 hours ago, Ozii said:

Be it My mom, dad, uncles... will all support me until i no longer need it.

Huh. Hopefully you’re planing to find a job as soon as you move back to the US, because with the latest moves on public charge i don’t think blithely expecting older family members (when do they retire?) to support you as an adult and your spouse who will not qualify for any government benefits, will need to pay for health insurance etc “as long as you need it” probably won’t cut the mustard. You seem to be assuming have a joint sponsor will fix public charge concerns. We’ve seen enough posts of rejection on public charge grounds despite a joint sponsor to know that’s not true.

Your path to a successful sponsorship is clear: move back to establish domicile and get a decent job before your spouse has her interview.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.