Adamaris

Health insurance for a K1 visa holder

26 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

We are trying to figure out with time in advance how we would do the whole process of the K1 visa. We want to know if I (the Benefitiary) could be included in my now fiancé insurance plan (through employment) after we marry and before adjusting status, we know We could be asked about the Plans for health insurance at the interview, if that is not possible according to your experience we would like you to suggest an acceptable short term insurance until until I can be covered by the one my fiancé has. 

Thanks in advance. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Adamaris said:

Hi guys,

We are trying to figure out with time in advance how we would do the whole process of the K1 visa. We want to know if I (the Benefitiary) could be included in my now fiancé insurance plan (through employment) after we marry and before adjusting status, we know We could be asked about the Plans for health insurance at the interview, if that is not possible according to your experience we would like you to suggest an acceptable short term insurance until until I can be covered by the one my fiancé has. 

Thanks in advance. 

I added my wife immediately after marriage and 9 months before she got her greencard 

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

I added my wife immediately after marriage and 9 months before she got her greencard 

What documents did you have to provide and does she had coverage immediately?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Adamaris said:

What documents did you have to provide and does she had coverage immediately?

Didnt have to provide anything that I recall except maybe our marriage certificate to prove the "life" event and her coverage began the first of the following month after we married 

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

Didnt have to provide anything that I recall except maybe our marriage certificate to prove the "life" event and her coverage began the first of the following month after we married 

So it means we can say and show proof that I will be covered by my soon-to-be husband insurance within 30 days after my arrival to the US on the  DS-5540 form and if they ask at the consular interview? 

This is mostly because we are concerned about the  DS-5540 and I-944 forms and the health insurance requirement. 

Timeline
Just now, Adamaris said:

So it means we can say and show proof that I will be covered by my soon-to-be husband insurance within 30 days after my arrival to the US on the  DS-5540 form and if they ask at the consular interview? 

This is mostly because we are concerned about the  DS-5540 and I-944 forms and the health insurance requirement. 

That's what most people do is to indicate inclusion on spouse's plan upon marriage 

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

That's what most people do is to indicate inclusion on spouse's plan upon marriage 

Ok. Thank you very much for your answers!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K1's need to marry asap after entry.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

11 hours ago, Adamaris said:

DS-5540 is currently not required, but the consul officer may still ask about health insurance coverage at the interview.

I assume its going to depend somewhat on the requirements that your petitioner's insurance company has.

In my case I was getting married around 14 days after entering the USA on a k1. My (now) wife investigated adding me to her company health insurance and was told it would take a week or so after we were married and had the marriage certificate to show them. So this would mean I was not covered for 21 days or more after entry. So I could be covered several months before adjusting status.

I checked my global travel insurance that I had in the UK and they confirmed that it would only cover me for the first 24 hrs in the USA, since it was not travel but emigration.

I used this company to purchase a 1 month health insurance policy to cover me until I was covered by my wife's company policy. From what I recall it was a fairly quick and easy process. One month wasn't too bad, but if you were going to spend quite a few months on it, it could get costly.

https://www.sevencorners.com/immigrant-medical-insurance

My greencard interview was waived and I was never asked to provide any details of health insurance cover at any stage of my immigration journey, though my entry to the US was 5 years ago so things might have changed.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Such cover falls into the better than nothing category, benefits are limited, does not cover COVID for example, and the inner limits may be an issue of something serious happened that was covered.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

49 minutes ago, Chancy said:

DS-5540 is currently not required, but the consul officer may still ask about health insurance coverage at the interview.

Oh ok, thanks! We are working on having a plan in case they ask. :)

2 hours ago, Limey said:

I assume its going to depend somewhat on the requirements that your petitioner's insurance company has.

In my case I was getting married around 14 days after entering the USA on a k1. My (now) wife investigated adding me to her company health insurance and was told it would take a week or so after we were married and had the marriage certificate to show them. So this would mean I was not covered for 21 days or more after entry. So I could be covered several months before adjusting status.

I checked my global travel insurance that I had in the UK and they confirmed that it would only cover me for the first 24 hrs in the USA, since it was not travel but emigration.

I used this company to purchase a 1 month health insurance policy to cover me until I was covered by my wife's company policy. From what I recall it was a fairly quick and easy process. One month wasn't too bad, but if you were going to spend quite a few months on it, it could get costly.

https://www.sevencorners.com/immigrant-medical-insurance

My greencard interview was waived and I was never asked to provide any details of health insurance cover at any stage of my immigration journey, though my entry to the US was 5 years ago so things might have changed.

Understand, short term is one of our options if the insurance my fiancé has doesn’t gives me coverage within 30 days after arrival, he requested the information to know what we gonna face.

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Such cover falls into the better than nothing category, benefits are limited, does not cover COVID for example, and the inner limits may be an issue of something serious happened that was covered.

Yeah. That is why I want someone to suggest us an acceptable short term plan, in case the other option is not available.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.