SeanDowney0309

Received Combo Card today, anyone have experience traveling to (and back from) UK?

9 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I received my combo card (I-765 & I-131) today! 

I need to travel to the UK very soon for my step mothers funeral on October 14th. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences traveling to the UK & also back from the UK to the US. 

Thank you 

1 hour ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Hi all, 

I need to travel to the UK very soon for my step mothers funeral on October 14th. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences traveling to the UK & also back from the UK to the US. 

Thank you 

You shouldn’t have any problems- you have your card and I would just carry additional evidence to support the reason of your visit home. (Maybe that’s just me being extra cautious). It’s a valid reason to use your AP card. 

I am sorry for your loss. It can be hard being away from family during these times. I had two family members pass and I opted way beforehand not to get the AP card... regretted that. 

Good luck with your journey! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
14 hours ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Hi all, 

Thank you 

You only need the AP card to return to the US. Show at immigration upon arrival. The airline counter at check-in for your flight to the US is trained to expect an ESTA, valid visa, or greencard to be boarded. You might have to ask for a supervisor to sort out that your advance parole also allows you back in the US.

Also because of Covid travel restrictions from the UK to US, plan how you will prove that you qualify for an exception to that restriction because you are the spouse of a US citizen. Test question: What will you bring?

8 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

You only need the AP card to return to the US. Show at immigration upon arrival. The airline counter at check-in for your flight to the US is trained to expect an ESTA, valid visa, or greencard to be boarded. You might have to ask for a supervisor to sort out that your advance parole also allows you back in the US.

Also because of Covid travel restrictions from the UK to US, plan how you will prove that you qualify for an exception to that restriction because you are the spouse of a US citizen. Test question: What will you bring?

Thank you for your response @Wuozopo. I was planning on bringing a photocopy of our marriage certificate. Should I bring anything extra?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Thank you for your response @Wuozopo. I was planning on bringing a photocopy of our marriage certificate. Should I bring anything extra?

Think harder 😋 

How will they known that woman named on your marriage certificate is a US citizen? Bring something to prove her citizenship. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Take a copy of her US passport or birth certificate as well 

5 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Think harder 😋 

How will they known that woman named on your marriage certificate is a US citizen? Bring something to prove her citizenship. 

Oh yes, of course 😉

A copy of her passport! 👏

I will probably bring a few extra things also like joint bills, the "Order of Service" pamphlet from my step mothers funeral, just because...why not! 

Timeline
58 minutes ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Oh yes, of course 😉

A copy of her passport! 👏

I will probably bring a few extra things also like joint bills, the "Order of Service" pamphlet from my step mothers funeral, just because...why not! 

👏👏👏Bravo!

It’s not likely going to be difficult except the possibility that the attendant with the airlines may not be familiar with AP so don’t give up if they say something dumb like “where’s your ESTA?” Show that AP and say “This is my authorisation to enter the US.”

I can’t see why some Brit employed by the airlines would be authorised to judge whether you had a good reason (funeral order of service) or if you have a bonafide marriage (joint bills). The USCIS determined you had a good reason is why the card expedited. You have a legal documents showing you are married to a USC which exempts you from travel restrictions so they can board you. 

Once you land in the US, the CBP blokes know what an AP card is and easy peasy entrance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.