Chee88

Evidence of a Bonafide Marriage

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, thank you for your time in advance.

I'm a Japanese female and I'm getting married my American girlfriend.

We were thinking to apply K-1 visa so I was researching about it online including here then many people suggested me about CR-1 as I'm in the US with her 3 more weeks.

*I can't change my departure date as I already booked my flight and quarantine place in Japan. Also I have a sick aunty...

So we just started researching and preparing for CR-1 visa.

We can get marriage certificate but I don't know about Evidence of a Bonafide Marriage.

I'm here with tourist visa so I don't have SSN. 

Which bank can we make joint account without SSN??

Or do you have any suggestions what I can get as Evidence of a Bonafide Marriage ??

*My partner lives in VA and we will get marriage certificate there but we are in AZ for my partner's work at the moment. So I hope we can find a bank here to make a joint account.

If you need any more information of me and my partner, please ask me!!

Also I'm always welcome any tips for the visa as I am really newbie for this visa and I don't have much time left here in the US...

Thank you again.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chee88 said:

We were thinking to apply K-1 visa so I was researching about it online including here then many people suggested me about CR-1 as I'm in the US with her 3 more weeks.

*I can't change my departure date as I already booked my flight and quarantine place in Japan. Also I have a sick aunty...

We can get marriage certificate but I don't know about Evidence of a Bonafide Marriage.

Or do you have any suggestions what I can get as Evidence of a Bonafide Marriage ??

*My partner lives in VA and we will get marriage certificate there but we are in AZ for my partner's work at the moment. So I hope we can find a bank here to make a joint account.

Also I'm always welcome any tips for the visa as I am really newbie for this visa and I don't have much time left here in the US...

Thank you again.

it will be better if you can have a joint account, but as you said, it will be hard to do if you dont have SSN.

in my case, we didn't have any joint account, since we live separately after we get married. the other way to show that you have the evidence is through your pictures between you and your spouse, family and friends. you can also include the receipts of the gifts that you bought for your spouse and vice versa, and the E-ticket from your trips together or when you visit her or her visit you, that will also helps.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You don’t need to overthink this, gather your text messages and emails showing back and forth conversations. Take pictures together, plane receipts, the more visit between each other the better, call records and whatever else you might have.  Now since japan isn’t really a high fraud country I doubt that there would be much or if any scrutiny about the legitimacy of the marriage for most Japanese citizens other than background checks. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Chee88 said:

Thank you again.

The vast majority here who marry but reside in separate countries I suspect do not have (any) evidence of co-mingling assets.  I know we did not.   Most simply file evidence of time spent together, evidence that they have a legal marriage, and evidence that they maintain continuous ongoing communication and contact.  

As you noted, it is next to impossible to co-mingle finances and assets between spouses when neither spouse lives in the other spouse’s country.

10 hours ago, Chee88 said:

No need to stress about setting up a joint account.  Couples who live in different countries are not expected to have one.  But there are other things your spouse can do to show financial commingling.  Examples --

• Add you as authorized user of her bank accounts and credit cards
  • Add you as beneficiary on her life insurance and/or retirement plan
  • Add your name to her phone/utility bills

Remember also that the strongest evidence of bona fide marriage is time spent together in person.  This includes time spent together before you got married.  Examples --

• Passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel/airbnb receipts from visits/vacations
  • Print-out of your I-94 travel history to the US
  • Pictures of you together.  If available, include pictures taken with family and friends.

Good luck on your visa journey!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Thank you for everyone!! I'm so glad to hear all your replies.

And I'm relived a lot as collection of the document was one of my application's burden 😖

We have visited each other and traveled together a lot so we can easily collect other documents you suggested!!

Thank you so much!!

1 hour ago, Chancy said:

No need to stress about setting up a joint account.  Couples who live in different countries are not expected to have one.  But there are other things your spouse can do to show financial commingling.  Examples --

• Add you as authorized user of her bank accounts and credit cards
  • Add you as beneficiary on her life insurance and/or retirement plan
  • Add your name to her phone/utility bills

Remember also that the strongest evidence of bona fide marriage is time spent together in person.  This includes time spent together before you got married.  Examples --

• Passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel/airbnb receipts from visits/vacations
  • Print-out of your I-94 travel history to the US
  • Pictures of you together.  If available, include pictures taken with family and friends.

Good luck on your visa journey!

7 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

The vast majority here who marry but reside in separate countries I suspect do not have (any) evidence of co-mingling assets.  I know we did not.   Most simply file evidence of time spent together, evidence that they have a legal marriage, and evidence that they maintain continuous ongoing communication and contact.  

As you noted, it is next to impossible to co-mingle finances and assets between spouses when neither spouse lives in the other spouse’s country.

Thank you for everyone!! I'm so glad to hear all your replies.

And I'm relived a lot as collection of the document was one of my application's burden 😖

We have visited each other and traveled together a lot so we can easily collect other documents you suggested!!

Thank you so much!!

8 hours ago, sexyafrican36 said:

You don’t need to overthink this, gather your text messages and emails showing back and forth conversations. Take pictures together, plane receipts, the more visit between each other the better, call records and whatever else you might have.  Now since japan isn’t really a high fraud country I doubt that there would be much or if any scrutiny about the legitimacy of the marriage for most Japanese citizens other than background checks. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.