Fobosdaemios

Affidavit of Support forms

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I've read and searched around the forums and also the USCIS website. I just want to double check on which forms I need to fill out to prevent further delay in the future. As a petitioner, if my income is insufficient to support my husband (beneficiary), do I still need to fill out the I-184 form?

if my brother who lives at the same address as I am , he needs to fill out the form i-184A instead of form i-184 as a joint sponsor? 

This is a side question for the Civil documents uploads after my husband completed the form ds-260. For the photographs part, is it the passport photo that I need to upload?

Pls correct me and give me some advices if im wrong. Thank you!

Edited by Fobosdaemios

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Fobosdaemios said:

Hello everyone,

I've read and searched around the forums and also the USCIS website. I just want to double check on which forms I need to fill out to prevent further delay in the future. As a petitioner, if my income is insufficient to support my husband (beneficiary), do I still need to fill out the I-184 form?

if my brother who lives at the same address as I am , he needs to fill out the form i-184A instead of form i-184 as a joint sponsor? 

This is a side question for the Civil documents uploads after my husband completed the form ds-260. For the photographs part, is it the passport photo that I need to upload?

Pls correct me and give me some advices if im wrong. Thank you!

Seems you have not thoroughly read the guide here

"An I-864 form is also included that must be filled out by the petitioner (living in the US)"

"If the petitioner cannot meet these requirements, then he/she must still file an I-864, and find a joint sponsor who can meet the requirements on his/her own"

"The joint sponsor must submit his/her own I-864 form to accompany the petitioner's I-864 form."

and if your brother is married is it recommended for his partner to submit an i-864a.

8 minutes ago, Troy B said:

Seems you have not thoroughly read the guide here

"An I-864 form is also included that must be filled out by the petitioner (living in the US)"

"If the petitioner cannot meet these requirements, then he/she must still file an I-864, and find a joint sponsor who can meet the requirements on his/her own"

"The joint sponsor must submit his/her own I-864 form to accompany the petitioner's I-864 form."

and if your brother is married is it recommended for his partner to submit an i-864a.

I did read that guide and I also searched up on google. It says that If my brother who live at the same address helping me to sponsor needs to file I-184A since he lives under the same household. That's why I'm a bit confused about that. 

So as you indicated, my brother is married and has a newborn baby and live under the same address. Does he still needs to fill out a seperate I-184 and his wife needs to fill out I-184A?

Edited by Fobosdaemios

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, Fobosdaemios said:

I did read that guide and I also searched up on google. It says that If my brother who live at the same address helping me to sponsor needs to file I-184A since he lives under the same household. That's why I'm a bit confused about that. 

So as you indicated, my brother is married and has a newborn baby and live under the same address. Does he still needs to fill out a seperate I-184 and his wife needs to fill out I-184A?

It does not say "that".  Not the "should" part.  If your brother qualifies on his own, he does the I-864, not the I-864a.  I-864a is only used by household members who are COMBINING income in order to qualify, OR, for married joint sponsors, who file taxes jointly with their spouse.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

19 hours ago, pushbrk said:

It does not say "that".  Not the "should" part.  If your brother qualifies on his own, he does the I-864, not the I-864a.  I-864a is only used by household members who are COMBINING income in order to qualify, OR, for married joint sponsors, who file taxes jointly with their spouse.

My brother is qualified for his own. He also sponsored his wife through k1 fiance visa about a year ago and he filed tax jointly with his wife. However, his wife has no income at all. 

Would it still the best for him to do the I-184? If so, does his wife has to do I-184A since he filed tax jointly? 

Thank you!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Fobosdaemios said:

My brother is qualified for his own. He also sponsored his wife through k1 fiance visa about a year ago and he filed tax jointly with his wife. However, his wife has no income at all. 

Would it still the best for him to do the I-184? If so, does his wife has to do I-184A since he filed tax jointly? 

Thank you!

Yes, an I-864 from you, one from him and an I-864a from his wife, whether she has income or not.  If Zero just indicate $0 in the amount she is combining, so the total current income stays the same as his.  Note, current income does not come from a tax return.  Use a pay stub for that.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.