Successful Pinky

Renewal of Philippine Passport acceptable proof of Philippine Citizenship

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

So, I finally able to have my passport renewal appointment, but due to this pandemic the consulate cancelled the in-person appointment.

However, they are accepting documents for renewal of the Philippine Passport thru mail and one of the requirements is to include in the mail the Permanent resident card/Alien card as a proof of Philippine Citizenship.

But I would be needing my Green card for my ROC this coming month too. I am thinking that this process thru mail might take like months for them to process and that I might get caught up not having my Green card in time where 

I have to apply for my ROC. I have emailed them asking for any other acceptable proof of Philippine citizenship, but I did not get any reply at all.

Anyone here who have filed a renewal of Philippine Passport thru mail?

Or what proof of Philippine Citizenship did you submit other than the Green card or alien card (will give it a shot).

Or you might just wanna share your experience too.

Thank you for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from Off Topic to the Philippines forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I used my Philippine passport and birth certificate as proof of citizenship when I renewed my passport in November 2019. I did it through a consular outreach mission. I did not have my greencard yet then.

Hope this helps!

Edited by MarryMe987654

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

12 hours ago, Successful Pinky said:

Hello everyone,

So, I finally able to have my passport renewal appointment, but due to this pandemic the consulate cancelled the in-person appointment.

However, they are accepting documents for renewal of the Philippine Passport thru mail and one of the requirements is to include in the mail the Permanent resident card/Alien card as a proof of Philippine Citizenship.

But I would be needing my Green card for my ROC this coming month too. I am thinking that this process thru mail might take like months for them to process and that I might get caught up not having my Green card in time where 

I have to apply for my ROC. I have emailed them asking for any other acceptable proof of Philippine citizenship, but I did not get any reply at all.

Or what proof of Philippine Citizenship did you submit other than the Green card or alien card (will give it a shot).

Thank you for your help.

They are asking you to mail your greencard to them?  The thing that USCIS says on the website to keep in your possession?

Really?  Are you sure they don't want a copy?

12 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

They are asking you to mail your greencard to them?  The thing that USCIS says on the website to keep in your possession?

Really?  Are you sure they don't want a copy?

Well, it says on the website to provide original and photocopy of it. 

I also asked this in my email to them, but still no reply at all.

I will try to include in the mail just the photo copy of my Greencard, and I'll see from there.

Thank you for waking me up! 😄

19 hours ago, MarryMe987654 said:

I used my Philippine passport and birth certificate as proof of citizenship when I renewed my passport in November 2019. I did it through a consular outreach mission. I did not have my greencard yet then.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for sharing this. 

I will also add the copy of my birth certificate then. 

Thank you! Thank you! 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/20/2020 at 2:42 PM, Successful Pinky said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your help.

By U.S. LAW you must have your green card in YOUR possession at ALL times, you CAN NOT send it to the Philippine consulate and they should not be asking you to do this.    Send a photocopy of your green card, have it notarized .      The normal passport process is done in person so presenting the green card is easy, but sending it in the mail to the consulate a big NO-NO.

You could include a copy of the U.S. law.   The Immigration and Nationality Act (§264(e))

Permanent residents are legally required to carry their green card with them if age 18 or older. The Immigration and Nationality Act (§264(e)) states that all permanent residents must have “at all times” official evidence of permanent resident status.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 8/22/2020 at 8:27 AM, payxibka said:

What does notarizing accomplish?

Ive wondered this as well but have been asked to do the same thing in the past.  For the Philippine visa Im applying for, I told the Consulate I only had one original of the PSA birth certificate and they told me to copy it and have it notarized and this would be OK.  I just bring the original document to the person who is notarizing or have them make the copy so they know its a true copy. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
40 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Ive wondered this as well but have been asked to do the same thing in the past.  For the Philippine visa Im applying for, I told the Consulate I only had one original of the PSA birth certificate and they told me to copy it and have it notarized and this would be OK.  I just bring the original document to the person who is notarizing or have them make the copy so they know its a true copy. 

Many us notaries won't do it,  at least from my experience.   They validate the ID of the individual signing but not the authenticity of a document 

YMMV

On 8/22/2020 at 4:52 AM, Hank_ said:

By U.S. LAW you must have your green card in YOUR possession at ALL times, you CAN NOT send it to the Philippine consulate and they should not be asking you to do this.    Send a photocopy of your green card, have it notarized .      The normal passport process is done in person so presenting the green card is easy, but sending it in the mail to the consulate a big NO-NO.

You could include a copy of the U.S. law.   The Immigration and Nationality Act (§264(e))

Permanent residents are legally required to carry their green card with them if age 18 or older. The Immigration and Nationality Act (§264(e)) states that all permanent residents must have “at all times” official evidence of permanent resident status.

Thank you so much for this, I might as well cite this in my letter to the consulate. Thank you so much! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.