Ads2865

Building Credit with Work Only SSN??

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Hello!! My husband @osally1 just received his "valid for work only with DHS authorization" SSN card in the mail. We've yet to receive the the EAD due to not having our biometrics. Would he be able to get his driver's license with it? Is he able to open a bank account with it? Can he apply for a credit card-- primarily secured credit card?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Ads2865 said:

Hello!! My husband @osally1 just received his "valid for work only with DHS authorization" SSN card in the mail. We've yet to receive the the EAD due to not having our biometrics. Would he be able to get his driver's license with it? Is he able to open a bank account with it? Can he apply for a credit card-- primarily secured credit card?

It's a normal SSN that can be used for everything and will be his number forever. This text is just a heads up for potential employers and can get removed as soon as he gets his greencard.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Timeline
12 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

It's a normal SSN that can be used for everything and will be his number forever. This text is just a heads up for potential employers and can get removed as soon as he gets his greencard.

Is it normal that it's only his first and last name is on there and not his middle name? Will he get a new card that has all 3 names once it doesn't have the work only notice on it?

On 8/17/2020 at 9:55 AM, Ads2865 said:

Is it normal that it's only his first and last name is on there and not his middle name? Will he get a new card that has all 3 names once it doesn't have the work only notice on it?

SSA goes by the name on his I-94, yes it's normal to only list two names (the names on the I-94). Once you get the GC  if you used his whole name you can update the SS card after you get your GC. My wife was able to add her middle name once she got her GC and we requested the change with SSA.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

On 8/16/2020 at 8:27 PM, Ads2865 said:

Just for your info the quickest way to build credit is for you to make him an authorized user on a few of your CCs (provided you have good credit). I added my wife to two of my CCs and in a couple of months time she had very good credit and was able to get her first card in her own name! If you can't add him to your CCs then yes secured is the way to go!

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

Just for your info the quickest way to build credit is for you to make him an authorized user on a few of your CCs (provided you have good credit). I added my wife to two of my CCs and in a couple of months time she had very good credit and was able to get her first card in her own name! If you can't add him to your CCs then yes secured is the way to go!

Yes I just added him to my CC but at the time it didn't ask for his social. They did say that they will mail the CC and we can activate it from there... So I'm not sure if at the time of activation it will ask for his SSN to link it or it will help by his name.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

SSA goes by the name on his I-94, yes it's normal to only list two names (the names on the I-94). Once you get the GC  if you used his whole name you can update the SS card after you get your GC. My wife was able to add her middle name once she got her GC and we requested the change with SSA.

You're so right!. I just had him to check his I-94 form and it's only his First and Last name. I thought that it was a mistake that we made 😩

2 hours ago, Ads2865 said:

You're so right!. I just had him to check his I-94 form and it's only his First and Last name. I thought that it was a mistake that we made 😩

You are fine. I don't know why they do that.  Hopefully you used  his whole name on the I-485 that's  what will be final and you can update your  SS card and remove the DHS statement once you get your GC.

Citizenship Complete!

2 hours ago, Ads2865 said:

Yes I just added him to my CC but at the time it didn't ask for his social. They did say that they will mail the CC and we can activate it from there... So I'm not sure if at the time of activation it will ask for his SSN to link it or it will help by his name.

You might want to add his SSN now since that's a sure way it'll get reported  correctly at the bureaus.

Citizenship Complete!

Timeline
19 hours ago, Sarge2155 said:

You might want to add his SSN now since that's a sure way it'll get reported  correctly at the bureaus.

Yea I need to figure out how to add it because it never prompted me to.

19 hours ago, Sarge2155 said:

You are fine. I don't know why they do that.  Hopefully you used  his whole name on the I-485 that's  what will be final and you can update your  SS card and remove the DHS statement once you get your GC.

Yes, we've always put all names on everything, which is why I didn't understand why they only did two.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.