os306

Double checking list of documents to bring to IR1 interview (DCF London)

33 posts in this topic

We are currently getting all our ducks in a row prior to booking my Medical appointment and IR1 Embassy interview and I just wanted to double check that I have understood correctly the list of documents that I need to bring to my interview. Let me preface this by saying that I am the beneficiary and my wife is the petitioner, and we are using a joint sponsor.

• Print out of courier confirmation page
  • Print out of DS-260 confirmation page
  • My original passport 
  • Our original marriage certificate (+1 photocopy)
  • Two passport photographs of myself
  • My UK police certificate (+1 photocopy) 
  • My original UK birth certificate (+1 photocopy)
  • My wife’s I-864, including supporting documents:
    • Wife's IRS tax transcripts for the past 3 years
    • Copy of my wife's US passport photo page
  • Joint sponsor's I-864, including supporting documents:
    • Joint sponsor's IRS tax transcripts for past 3 years
    • Copy of joint sponsor's US passport photo page
    • Joint sponsor's pay stubs for the past 6 months
    • Letter from joint sponsor's employer on company letter-head confirming nature of employment, salary etc.

Am I missing anything from the list above?

I question I had was: do I need to bring my wife's original birth certificate as well? This page (https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/required-documents/) states that "you must obtain the original, or certified copy (provided by the issuing authority), of the birth record of each family member (yourself, your spouse, and all unmarried children under the age of 21, even if they are not immigrating with you" however, I was under the impression that this only applies if your spouse is also applying for an immigrant visa. 

Another question I had was: I have read that London is pretty relaxed about proving intent to re-establish domicile. At the start of this process, we were under the impression that I would have to provide evidence such as my wife's US voting record, bank statements etc. but it sounds like this evidence is rarely asked for at the London embassy?

Hope everyone waiting for their LND numbers hears back soon!

Edited by os306

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

London website still says originals plus photocopy of documents, but they quit taking photocopies several years ago. They scan your original for digital files instead of the paper files they used to put the photocopies in. 

Your wife birth certificate is already in the file with the petition papers. I’ve never known anybody who got dinged for not having that at interview, including ones for children not immigrating. There’s a new review from a DCF who interviewed today. Ask him about domicile and wife’s passport. 

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Interesting thought about: *IRS tax transcripts for the past 3 years*

Are you planning to take 3 years of transcripts? I only uploaded 1 years worth so planned to only take 1.

Best of luck with your interview and medical! 

Matt

4 minutes ago, MattyUKtoUS said:

Interesting thought about: *IRS tax transcripts for the past 3 years*

Are you planning to take 3 years of transcripts? I only uploaded 1 years worth so planned to only take 1.

Best of luck with your interview and medical! 

Matt

Thanks. In hindsight, I think three years is probably overkill and I can't quite remember where I got that from - reading through people's experiences it sounds like they've only ever really asked for the most recent year.

50 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

London website still says originals plus photocopy of documents, but they quit taking photocopies several years ago. They scan your original for digital files instead of the paper files they used to put the photocopies in. 

Your wife birth certificate is already in the file with the petition papers. I’ve never known anybody who got dinged for not having that at interview, including ones for children not immigrating. There’s a new review from a DCF who interviewed today. Ask him about domicile and wife’s passport. 

Thanks. I reached out to him and he confirmed that he was not asked about domicile, or his wife's passport.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:02 PM, Wuozopo said:

In my case this July, they did ask for photocopies of all documents. I was missing two, as I'd read all the reports on here that they were no longer asking for photocopies in interviews. Fortunately, they were kind enough to make two photocopies for me there. 

It might have been because I was DCF; I also received a physical envelope to take to POE rather than the NVC cases that are digital. 

So, @os306, if you filed through DCF, I would take the photocopies of marriage, birth and & police certificates with you!

Edited by Melc

On 8/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, os306 said:

• My wife’s I-864, including supporting documents:
    • Wife's IRS tax transcripts for the past 3 years
    • Copy of my wife's US passport photo page
  • Joint sponsor's I-864, including supporting documents:
    • Joint sponsor's IRS tax transcripts for past 3 years
    • Copy of joint sponsor's US passport photo page
    • Joint sponsor's pay stubs for the past 6 months
    • Letter from joint sponsor's employer on company letter-head confirming nature of employment, salary etc.

Bring the other transcripts for ease of mind, but expect them to be disregarded. In our case the officer only took the most recent tax return (1040, as we paper filed and the transcript wasn't available yet), and handed back the other years. 

I question I had was: do I need to bring my wife's original birth certificate as well?

I brought it, but wasn't asked for it. They got all they needed during the I-130, I think. 

Another question I had was: I have read that London is pretty relaxed about proving intent to re-establish domicile. At the start of this process, we were under the impression that I would have to provide evidence such as my wife's US voting record, bank statements etc. but it sounds like this evidence is rarely asked for at the London embassy?

No questions asked at all. London appears to consider filing for a spousal visa as enough proof of intent to re-establish domicile. I had it with me just in case, but wasn't asked to provide it. Just in case we brought a photocopy of bank statements and US driving licence. 

Just now, Melc said:

Bring the other transcripts for ease of mind, but expect them to be disregarded. In our case the officer only took the most recent tax return (1040, as we paper filed and the transcript wasn't available yet), and handed back the other years. 

I brought it, but wasn't asked for it. They got all they needed during the I-130, I think. 

No questions asked at all. London appears to consider filing for a spousal visa as enough proof of intent to re-establish domicile. I had it with me just in case, but wasn't asked to provide it. Just in case we brought a photocopy of bank statements and US driving licence. 

Brilliant. Thank you so much.

On 8/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, os306 said:

I just had my IR-1 via DCF interview on Monday (Aug 10th).  Given how much prep we'd put into it, they seemed to treat the whole process as very pro forma.

In response to your particular questions, they seemed completely happy with 1 years of tax transcripts (actually, in our case the original 1040 as the transcript wasn't available yet), didn't want my wife's (the US Citizen) birth certificate, didn't even ask for evidence related to domicile and never asked about it during the conversation.  So that tree died for nothing...

Now if I was in your position reading this, I'd still collect the evidence of intent to re-establish domicile just in case!  But I think you can feel fairly sure that there's not much need to stress about it, which I have to admit I was when I was putting the final packet together.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a read through this thread. Very informative.

With regards Tax Returns, my USC wife recently filed her Tax Return via a Tax Consultancy located in USA. When the job was complete and their fee paid, access was given to the submission sent to IRS. We were able to download the complete Return.

Is this download satisfactory to cover the Tax Return required for Interview?

27 minutes ago, Stuwoolf said:

With regards Tax Returns, my USC wife recently filed her Tax Return via a Tax Consultancy located in USA. When the job was complete and their fee paid, access was given to the submission sent to IRS. We were able to download the complete Return.

Stu, if the download contains the complete tax return (i.e. every page) plus any relevant schedules and you have your spouse's W-2 (if applicable) then this should suffice. Otherwise, a tax return transcript (available for free from the IRS) contains all of this information in 3-4 pages.

Edited by os306

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Stuwoolf said:

She is in the U.K, right? Was it for the entire tax year or did she have income in the US as well as income in the U.K.?  What I am getting at is, did she have a W2 from a US employer For tax year 2019?

Edited by Wuozopo

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

She is in the U.K, right? Was it for the entire tax year or did she have income in the US as well as income in the U.K.?  What I am getting at is, did she have a W2 from a US employer For tax year 2019?

My USC wife arrived UK in June 2018. No income from US since arriving in June 2018. The recent filing was for the whole year.

Whats a W2?

Thanks for your help.

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Stuwoolf said:

My USC wife arrived UK in June 2018. No income from US since arriving in June 2018. The recent filing was for the whole year.

Whats a W2?

Thanks for your help.

ok, then a long version answer for you.
A W2 is a wage statement that employers provide when a tax year ends that shows how much was paid in total wages, and how much was held out for taxes, social security and Medicare contributions. 

For your visa—

She is required to be your sponsor on the I-864 affidavit of support, even if she doesn’t not earn enough and even if you have a joint sponsor like one of her family members in the US. 

SO she must fill out an I-864. Part of the required documentation for an I-864 is the most recent tax return** (2019) or a statement why she was not required to file*.

*If she did not work in the UK or US in 2019, then she would not be required file anything. If there is no income then one doesn’t file. Her I-864 would include a signed statement saying she has no tax return for 2019 because she had zero income and was not required by the IRS to file. Assuming this is not the case since she filed a return.

**The tax return that must be presented with an I-864 Can have two forms

a) a tax transcript from the IRS which requires nothing further with it. I understand that transcripts have been difficult to get due to COVID and pretty impossible to download when one lives abroad.
b) a complete tax return which is defined as all the forms and schedules that would be filed plus the matching W2 wage statement. So you may  take those forms provided by the tax preparer but be ready to explain she did not work in the US and does not have a W2. Going with this knowledge will let you work it out there instead of being told you’ll need to send the W2 before you can be approved, and you leaving not even knowing what you are supposed to provide.  Defend your side and explain there is no W2 to provide. 

A note about what you download from the tax person. Sometimes there is a bunch of excess worksheets and summaries from tax prep that are informational and not part of the return. Just so you know what is actually the tax return, start with Form 1040. Then anything else (called “Form” or “Schedule”) that has an attachment sequence number on it that looks like this. It may be a multi-page form. IMG_3426.thumb.PNG.fd0cfc2b35463133d508747ccdd300bb.PNG

IMG_3428.thumb.PNG.18aee2a8e45d559325e833c209eae78a.PNG

If it doesn’t have an attachment sequence number, it’s not something that actually got sent to IRS and not needed. I hope that makes sense. As an example, we do our own with TurboTax. That generates many pages of forms, schedules,  worksheets, summaries, comparisons, Instructions, thank you for using TurboTax etc. The actual IRS forms with a sequence number is a fraction of that. Remember form 1040 goes first and has no sequence number 

Edited by Wuozopo

9 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

ok, then a long version answer for you.
A W2 is a wage statement that employers provide when a tax year ends that shows how much was paid in total wages, and how much was held out for taxes, social security and Medicare contributions. 

For your visa—

She is required to be your sponsor on the I-864 affidavit of support, even if she doesn’t not earn enough and even if you have a joint sponsor like one of her family members in the US. 

SO she must fill out an I-864. Part of the required documentation for an I-864 is the most recent tax return** (2019) or a statement why she was not required to file*.

*If she did not work in the UK or US in 2019, then she would not be required file anything. If there is no income then one doesn’t file. Her I-864 would include a signed statement saying she has no tax return for 2019 because she had zero income and was not required by the IRS to file. Assuming this is not the case since she filed a return.

**The tax return that must be presented with an I-864 Can have two forms

a) a tax transcript from the IRS which requires nothing further with it. I understand that transcripts have been difficult to get due to COVID and pretty impossible to download when one lives abroad.
b) a complete tax return which is defined as all the forms and schedules that would be filed plus the matching W2 wage statement. So you may  take those forms provided by the tax preparer but be ready to explain she did not work in the US and does not have a W2. Going with this knowledge will let you work it out there instead of being told you’ll need to send the W2 before you can be approved, and you leaving not even knowing what you are supposed to provide.  Defend your side and explain there is no W2 to provide. 

Just to add to @Wuozopo's comprehensive answer - if you decided that you did want to go with the tax transcript, you can always call the IRS international helpline (267-941-1000) they can send your tax return transcript to you electronically via eFax pretty much instantly. Alternatively, you can request that they mail it to you in the UK. We did both (as we didn't believe that the transcripts would actually arrive in the mail) but they surprisingly did (took about 3-4 weeks).

I wonder whether supplying a concise tax transcript instead of showing up with an entire tax return (plus schedules and an explanation of why the W2 hasn't been provided) might be more straightforward. However, the advantage of going with the tax return is that it sounds like you already have all the documents you need.

Edited by os306

Timeline
2 minutes ago, os306 said:

Just to add to @Wuozopo's comprehensive answer - if you call the IRS international helpline (267-941-1000) they can send your tax return transcript to you electronically via eFax pretty much instantly. Alternatively, you can request that they mail it to you in the UK. We did both (as we didn't believe that the transcripts would actually arrive in the mail) but they surprisingly did. 

I wonder whether supplying a concise tax transcript instead of showing up with an entire tax return (plus schedules and an explanation of why the W2 hasn't been provided) might be more straightforward. The advantage of going with the tax return is that it sounds like you already have all the documents you need.

I remember you posting all that but my answer was already too long to throw that in as well 😂 

He doesn’t even have an interview yet  (or LND number) and could certainly try to get a transcript in time. It is a stand alone document and the better choice if it is already available and one can get it.  Otherwise the thing he has will be accepted as long as he and they know she doesn’t have a W2 issued by a US employer. I think that can be explained.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.