LegalAlienn

Embassy procedures during COVID

6 posts in this topic

Hi all

Do you know what is the procedure to enter the embassy during the COVID? For example, wearing a mask or gloves, do they check on temperature, do you need a negative PCR test etc?

I’m asking because this situation is really crazy. For instance, in the last 7 days my body temperature keeps going up to 37.5 and I have tested negative on COVID 3 days ago. 
So I wonder what would really happen in my case, if I have a negative PCR test but my temperature would be high on the entrance? This is really tricky 

PS I didn’t know where to post this question, so if admin can move it to the appropriate subforum. Thanks

The local embassy/consulate website would generally provide current procedures, and/or an interview notification letter/email. If in doubt, contact them.

That said, I 100% concur - if you have symptoms that could be any infectious disease (not just COVID), stay home.

Note that a negative COVID test 3 days ago could be positive today. The PCR false negative rate, depending on specific test, is suggested to be anywhere from 2% to 39%. A recent study (https://www.itnonline.com/content/covid-19-genetic-pcr-tests-give-false-negative-results-if-used-too-early) showed the most common PCR test showed a false negative rate of 20% 8 days after infection.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

On 8/10/2020 at 1:29 AM, LegalAlienn said:

Hi all

Do you know what is the procedure to enter the embassy during the COVID? For example, wearing a mask or gloves, do they check on temperature, do you need a negative PCR test etc?

I’m asking because this situation is really crazy. For instance, in the last 7 days my body temperature keeps going up to 37.5 and I have tested negative on COVID 3 days ago. 
So I wonder what would really happen in my case, if I have a negative PCR test but my temperature would be high on the entrance? This is really tricky 

PS I didn’t know where to post this question, so if admin can move it to the appropriate subforum. Thanks

Sorry to be off topic but they rescheduled your k1 interview? 😮  I thought they weren't doing k1 interviews atm .

And to answer you're question, the cdc doesn't class a 37.5 c to be a fever. Only 38 c or above is considered to be a fever. It also depends on what type of thermometer you use as well (oral, ear, temporal, etc.) . Maybe you could email the embassy as well to see what they consider to be fever? I've found that Sarajevo embassy is very quick with their responses to inquiries! 

If that is your only symptom (the temp) I wouldn't be super worried about it. Some people's temperatures run a little high especially after a lot of activity. In the past even before COVID I would always register as being 37.2 at doctors appointments, that was just by baselines. Only if you have other symptoms I would say stay home. I'm assuming you got the PCR test as part of your medical? not because you're symptomatic??

Edited by eirinlinn

16 hours ago, eirinlinn said:

Sorry to be off topic but they rescheduled your k1 interview? 😮  I thought they weren't doing k1 interviews atm .

And to answer you're question, the cdc doesn't class a 37.5 c to be a fever. Only 38 c or above is considered to be a fever. It also depends on what type of thermometer you use as well (oral, ear, temporal, etc.) . Maybe you could email the embassy as well to see what they consider to be fever? I've found that Sarajevo embassy is very quick with their responses to inquiries! 

If that is your only symptom (the temp) I wouldn't be super worried about it. Some people's temperatures run a little high especially after a lot of activity. In the past even before COVID I would always register as being 37.2 at doctors appointments, that was just by baselines. Only if you have other symptoms I would say stay home. I'm assuming you got the PCR test as part of your medical? not because you're symptomatic??

I didn’t have an appointment, I was just curious if someone who had appointments these days how was their experience while entering the embassy. 

I was in contact with COVID person, so I immediately stayed at home and first time I got temperature above 37 and no other symptoms whatsoever, I tested and I was negative. However I’m still in self-isolation and also no other symptoms other than temperature which is as I said the highest 37.4

Anyhow, thanks for your response, and I hope Sarajevo will open up soon 😊

Also, I would still like to hear from a person that had experienced entrance into the embassy during this pandemic. 

8 hours ago, LegalAlienn said:

I didn’t have an appointment, I was just curious if someone who had appointments these days how was their experience while entering the embassy. 

I was in contact with COVID person, so I immediately stayed at home and first time I got temperature above 37 and no other symptoms whatsoever, I tested and I was negative. However I’m still in self-isolation and also no other symptoms other than temperature which is as I said the highest 37.4

Anyhow, thanks for your response, and I hope Sarajevo will open up soon 😊

Also, I would still like to hear from a person that had experienced entrance into the embassy during this pandemic. 

Ah okay now I understand! Just keep self monitoring but it’s good that you aren’t having any other symptoms :) but I bet embassies around won’t differ too too much in their procedures in infection control because the embassies are all under DHS. I know that most of the infection control measures are mostly face coverings, distance, and hand sanitizing, and temp checks when entering an establishments and governmental agencies (ie the dmv) In the states, they haven’t been encouraging the gloves wearing like in B&H. So I imagine that they will be much more lenient that way. But I’m just guessing! And when interviews do happen I’m sure they will include instructions. Perhaps someone who has already interviewed under the same circumstance even in another embassy would be able to offer some more insight cause I would also like to know! :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.