Allovertheworld

American Airlines just cancelled by trip for August to Philippines

14 posts in this topic

I knew it was coming, Oh well it looks like it may be a long time before I can get into Philippines without the silly quarantine and lockdown going on.

They cancelled my March trip which I rebooked to June thinking all this would be over with, and I had also booked a August trip long time ago and now that one is cancelled.

1 hour ago, Allovertheworld said:

I knew it was coming, Oh well it looks like it may be a long time before I can get into Philippines without the silly quarantine and lockdown going on.

They cancelled my March trip which I rebooked to June thinking all this would be over with, and I had also booked a August trip long time ago and now that one is cancelled.

Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. I was thinking about buying a ticket with the special that PAL was just running, but decided against it with all of the uncertainty.

9 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. I was thinking about buying a ticket with the special that PAL was just running, but decided against it with all of the uncertainty.

I think PAL you’ll have the best luck on getting to Manila without cancelling. Most Filipinos will fly PAL and it’s being used as a repatriation airline for returning OFWs. Plus direct flights between US and PI. However if the flight is cancelled I believe you’ll have the hardest time getting your money back, at least in a short time period. 

the opposite would be true with American or other US airlines. They will most likely cancel as they are not an airline so involved on repatriating Filipinos but you may have better luck getting your money back more quickly. 

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

59 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

I think PAL you’ll have the best luck on getting to Manila without cancelling. Most Filipinos will fly PAL and it’s being used as a repatriation airline for returning OFWs. Plus direct flights between US and PI. However if the flight is cancelled I believe you’ll have the hardest time getting your money back, at least in a short time period. 

the opposite would be true with American or other US airlines. They will most likely cancel as they are not an airline so involved on repatriating Filipinos but you may have better luck getting your money back more quickly.

At this point I only fly PAL. It's the only one that fly's non-stop to Philippines from my airport. I used to fly Hawaiian, but they stopped flying to Manila. Plus their service has really gone downhill. It's only the uncertainty currently that is holding me back from buying a ticket.

10 hours ago, RO_AH said:

I am good with it.  Philippines isn't the same since the lockdown, and many things  I enjoy doing are closed. Plus with the silly quarantine there it would be like getting put in jail having to quarantine.

No massages, No Nightlife, Liqour ban all over the place.  I don't know what the hotel situation is there, Maybe some are not even open.  

The police have gotten stupid over there regarding wearing mask.  My relative was almost ticketed for not wearing a mask while driving her vehicle alone, and her husband was told at a checkpoint you need a mask even if you are wearing a full face shield on your motorbike.

1 hour ago, flicks1998 said:

My American Flight was to Japan and catch Japan Airlines onto Manila.  This is the fastest and most direct from my area.

I booked my flights using vouchers, still have not seen a evoucher refund from my flight cancelled in early June.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I doubt you will see much change til next year and that’s the best case scenario.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

23 minutes ago, cyclone27 said:

I doubt you will see much change til next year and that’s the best case scenario.

Agreed :thumbs:

I will spread my wings and venture to other places around SouthEast Asia, I may look into Central America as well.  Maybe time to explore come next year and find new destinations.  Problem is I know the Philippines so well and understand their culture and ways, so easy for me to get around form place to place, and with English the primary language there it easy to commnicate with most anyone.  

14 hours ago, RO_AH said:

At this point I only fly PAL. It's the only one that fly's non-stop to Philippines from my airport. I used to fly Hawaiian, but they stopped flying to Manila. Plus their service has really gone downhill. It's only the uncertainty currently that is holding me back from buying a ticket.

When you fly PAL from the US, does Economy have back of the seat entertainment?  I flew PAL a few times last year from the Middle East to Manila and the seats were not comfortable, there was no entertainment unless you had downloaded an app before the flight onto your phone, the food was bad, etc etc.  It was actually worse then CEB.  However, it was an older plane and they may fly newer planes from the US to Manila. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

11 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

Agreed :thumbs:

I will spread my wings and venture to other places around SouthEast Asia, I may look into Central America as well.  Maybe time to explore come next year and find new destinations.  Problem is I know the Philippines so well and understand their culture and ways, so easy for me to get around form place to place, and with English the primary language there it easy to commnicate with most anyone.  

You may want to check out Ecuador.  Its closer and I think you will find it very similar to the Philippines.  The culture will be similar, architecture, etc etc.  Im not sure of the travel situation there but it could be an option.  Columbia isnt too far either.  

Ive never found the Philippines to be an Asian country.  Its just located in Asia, but the culture, food, etc is very similar to Latin America. 

7 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

You may want to check out Ecuador.  Its closer and I think you will find it very similar to the Philippines.  The culture will be similar, architecture, etc etc.  Im not sure of the travel situation there but it could be an option.  Columbia isnt too far either.  

Ive never found the Philippines to be an Asian country.  Its just located in Asia, but the culture, food, etc is very similar to Latin America. 

I will keep that in mind.  I have made many trips to Mexico to hunt or fish over the border, but last decade or so with the cartel issues I quit going.  I have flown into Cancun many time, but that is just like the USA in the Hotel Zone area down there, and the beaches and hotels are outstanding.  

I have never spent anytime Central or South America, I will put it on my radar

23 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

When you fly PAL from the US, does Economy have back of the seat entertainment?  I flew PAL a few times last year from the Middle East to Manila and the seats were not comfortable, there was no entertainment unless you had downloaded an app before the flight onto your phone, the food was bad, etc etc.  It was actually worse then CEB.  However, it was an older plane and they may fly newer planes from the US to Manila. 

From HNL to MNL they are always the newer planes. I do remember needing the app flying in economy which I luckily downloaded while waiting in the airport. I have since started flying premium economy which I feel is well worth the money. Better food, first on first off luggage, no fee for flight changes, slightly larger bag allowance, priority boarding and disembarking, larger seats, more leg room. big screen entertainment on seat in front of you, foot rest, full Mabuhay Miles credit. However with the social distance seating the prices have gone up.

Filed: Other Timeline

my mother supposed to leave in June but the original ticket was cancelled due to covid 19. so I booked another flight then it was cancelled again due to covid. I booked a flight with PAL and luckily it was not cancelled but I paid 1300$ one way! im still in the process of getting a refund on 2 cancelled ticket which the travel agency is giving me a hard time. they said It was non refundable?! 

23 hours ago, minions2 said:

my mother supposed to leave in June but the original ticket was cancelled due to covid 19. so I booked another flight then it was cancelled again due to covid. I booked a flight with PAL and luckily it was not cancelled but I paid 1300$ one way! im still in the process of getting a refund on 2 cancelled ticket which the travel agency is giving me a hard time. they said It was non refundable?! 

Maybe better to buy directly from the airline for now.  I think maybe there would be an easier time to get a refund, but still a fight.  This is going on all over the world right now where airlines are taking bookings and then cancelling flights (knowing that they would be cancelled at the time of booking) and then making it hard to give people there money back.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.