s11

Medical before interview or if they ask in the interview?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi All,

I'm adjusting from K1 and applied for AOS in May 2019. Our interview was initially scheduled to be in March 2020 but was cancelled due to USCIS closure.

Our interview has been rescheduled to Aug in NJ (yayy!). 

They have sent us the standard interview prep letter and in list of documents needed, they have stated:

A completed medical examination (Form I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed environment (unless already submitted).

We submitted vaccination supplement with I-485 and medical was completed for K-1 visa.

My understanding is, if the interview was completed in March 2020, new I-693 was not required. But if the medical is older than 1 year,  a new medical examination is required for the interview.

In current covid19 situation, I'm trying to avoid going to the clinic unless absolutely necessary. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to wait till interview and see if they really require a new medical?

Anyone else have been in a similar situation? 

Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
8 minutes ago, s11 said:

Hi All,

I'm adjusting from K1 and applied for AOS in May 2019. Our interview was initially scheduled to be in March 2020 but was cancelled due to USCIS closure.

They have sent us the standard interview prep letter and in list of documents needed, they have stated:

A completed medical examination (Form I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed environment (unless already submitted).

We submitted vaccination supplement with I-485 and medical was completed for K-1 visa.

My understanding is, if the interview was completed in March 2020, new I-693 was not required. But if the medical is older than 1 year,  a new medical examination is required for the interview.

In current covid19 situation, I'm trying to avoid going to the clinic unless absolutely necessary. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to wait till interview and see if they really require a new medical?

This is were I'm at as well. I applied for AOS October 8, 2019 and my husbands medical was done in London I believe some time in June of 2019. I'm still waiting for an interview date and I don't know if we need an updated medical done. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Pooley said:

This is were I'm at as well. I applied for AOS October 8, 2019 and my husbands medical was done in London I believe some time in June of 2019. I'm still waiting for an interview date and I don't know if we need an updated medical done. 

44 minutes ago, s11 said:

Hi All,

If the vaccination was marked completed, you don't need a new medical.

The foreign medical remains valid as long as you FILE for AOS within 1 year of the date of the medical.

The only thing you would need to do in the US is update your vaccination if it wasn't completed overseas.

Sometimes the officer working on the case sends the 693 letter by mistake because they didn't pay attention it was a K1 or because USCIS still didn't receive your foreign medical documents. That doesn't mean you need a new medical.

If your vaccination sheet was marked completed, and you filed for AOS within 1 year = no need for a new medical. You can always print a copy of the 693 instructions to show the officer in case they ask for a medical at the interview.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Pooley said:

I'll let you know what happens in my interview. That should help :)

Timeline
3 hours ago, Ayrton said:

If the vaccination was marked completed, you don't need a new medical.

The foreign medical remains valid as long as you FILE for AOS within 1 year of the date of the medical.

The only thing you would need to do in the US is update your vaccination if it wasn't completed overseas.

Sometimes the officer working on the case sends the 693 letter by mistake because they didn't pay attention it was a K1 or because USCIS still didn't receive your foreign medical documents. That doesn't mean you need a new medical.

If your vaccination sheet was marked completed, and you filed for AOS within 1 year = no need for a new medical. You can always print a copy of the 693 instructions to show the officer in case they ask for a medical at the interview.

thanks! that helps a lot!

Vaccination was completed, I have a copy of completed vaccines too. It's just that it was done in April 2019 so I was not sure. 

But if the 1 year timeline is for filing AOS and not for interview, as you said, then I may not need it.

I'll carry a copy of I-693 instructions, copy of completed vaccines to be on the safe side.

Thanks again!!! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.