12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Asking for a friend- has a tourist visa. Entered and was not given a exit date. Her husband is a resident here in the United States they share a son. They want to adjust status for her and her son.

From my knowledge and from past experiences I have seen it can be possible. But her question is does she have to file for her son both a petition and AOS or does the son ? Because he's under age would they need to file two petitions or can it be filed concurrently ? 

What do you mean she was not given an exit date? Of course she was given a max time to stay. When did she enter?

Is her husband a citizen or LPR? It makes a difference as to whether she can adjust and whether one or two i130s need to be filed.

7 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

What do you mean she was not given an exit date? Of course she was given a max time to stay. When did she enter?

Is her husband a citizen or LPR? It makes a difference as to whether she can adjust and whether one or two i130s need to be filed.

She states that typically she gets a stamp she arrived about 3 weeks ago. But states she didn't get a max time , maybe she's missing something as in not seeing where it was stamped. 

I believe he is a LPR....what would be the case say citizen vs LPR. She wants to know so she can calulate the fee because the fee calulator doesn't help

18 minutes ago, Vianca said:

She states that typically she gets a stamp she arrived about 3 weeks ago. But states she didn't get a max time , maybe she's missing something as in not seeing where it was stamped. 

I believe he is a LPR....what would be the case say citizen vs LPR. She wants to know so she can calulate the fee because the fee calulator doesn't help

They don’t always stamp passports anymore. She can look up her I94 online..

Hm, she needs to understand they are less forgiving /more critical of LPR spouses than for USCs. They don’t have to apply the 90 day rule ...but they can, and have done in the past. Her son can be a derivative on her I130 if it is F2A. Anything at all that she does inconsistent with a tourist status (working for example) puts her out of status and makes her ineligible to adjust, this is a significant difference vs spouse of USC. Does she realize she will be in limbo for probably at least 6 months unable to work or travel out the US until she gets EAD/AP? Have they looked at the i944? 

(And yes, one more case that makes it harder for people from her home country to get tourist visas.)

4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

They don’t always stamp passports anymore. She can look up her I94 online..

Hm, she needs to understand they are less forgiving /more critical of LPR spouses than for USCs. They don’t have to apply the 90 day rule ...but they can, and have done in the past. Her son can be a derivative on her I130 if it is F2A. Anything at all that she does inconsistent with a tourist status (working for example) puts her out of status and makes her ineligible to adjust, this is a significant difference vs spouse of USC. Does she realize she will be in limbo for probably at least 6 months unable to work or travel out the US until she gets EAD/AP? Have they looked at the i944? 

(And yes, one more case that makes it harder for people from her home country to get tourist visas.)

Yes , I shared that info with her ESP with being in limbo basically. They stated they were aware of it but because of covid they were scared to be sperated because of their son and the chances or a long time period being apart and they have weigh out there options they aren't sure just yet which way to lean. 

They just wanted to know the actual fees the process I explained because of what is going on immigration in is taking way longer then usual. 

( Yes totally don't agree with trying to adjust via a tourist visa because it definitely makes it harder on other people in there home country , but I guess they are desperate as her husband fears are at a all time high) I am just trying to get them the best information possible so they can know what route to take as well what the time frame can be and the risk of being in limbo and basically a couch potato. 

1 minute ago, Vianca said:

Yes , I shared that info with her ESP with being in limbo basically. They stated they were aware of it but because of covid they were scared to be sperated because of their son and the chances or a long time period being apart and they have weigh out there options they aren't sure just yet which way to lean. 

They just wanted to know the actual fees the process I explained because of what is going on immigration in is taking way longer then usual. 

( Yes totally don't agree with trying to adjust via a tourist visa because it definitely makes it harder on other people in there home country , but I guess they are desperate as her husband fears are at a all time high) I am just trying to get them the best information possible so they can know what route to take as well what the time frame can be and the risk of being in limbo and basically a couch potato. 

Your did awesome because that is def what check came out too....it was around 310ish for four days. She is getting paid weekly. But when she started she entered in the week others were getting paid , so they just paid her our for four days. That might explain it as you said I was thinking the same that because it was such a low amount could have been because of that. Because her HR person stated that everything was legit and they didn't see any errors and that was my fear there would have been error or that we would owe or that they should be taking a huge chunk out and what she actually would bring home would be super less then what she's working for and that would break my heart because she working so hard and excited for her first job in America and just over all even coming from her country where jobs aren't like here on the US. 

Thank you again to you all it's helping relieve my stress and fear as I was suffering from anexity riddled with fear something could be wrong 

5 minutes ago, Vianca said:

Well, I hope she didn’t lie outright to cbp officer on entry about her intentions, we saw a denial reported a few months back at AOS interview for doing that.  I hope the husband is earning a decent salary and can easily pay for their healthcare, because beyond being a couch potato the actual concern is public charge. 

2 minutes ago, Vianca said:

Your did awesome because that is def what check came out too....it was around 310ish for four days. She is getting paid weekly. But when she started she entered in the week others were getting paid , so they just paid her our for four days. That might explain it as you said I was thinking the same that because it was such a low amount could have been because of that. Because her HR person stated that everything was legit and they didn't see any errors and that was my fear there would have been error or that we would owe or that they should be taking a huge chunk out and what she actually would bring home would be super less then what she's working for and that would break my heart because she working so hard and excited for her first job in America and just over all even coming from her country where jobs aren't like here on the US. 

Thank you again to you all it's helping relieve my stress and fear as I was suffering from anexity riddled with fear something could be wrong 

I hope this is not the same friend you are talking about, because if she’s working (if she has even worked for one day) she is ineligible to adjust status.

No no , she didn't lie to the CBP again this is just discussion because they are scared with the faith of covid what will happen with there family. No she doesn't work and hasn't work again she hasn't been here long. He makes a decent amount to maintain his family. Again they are just worried about there family being sperated for long period of time especially because it seems her country is about to close there borders again so basically she will be stuck....

They are just confused how it would work because she has a son that is her husband's child. And she can't seem to calulate the fee correctly where it's making sense. She knows the petition is 535 and the adjustment around 1400 ish with 85 of the biometrics but she doesn't know about her son because she's unsure if her husband can just outright claim him and there is like a waiver or because he was born outside the US have to file petition and adjustment for the both of them which would bring the fees up to a significant amount. 

30 minutes ago, Vianca said:

No no , she didn't lie to the CBP again this is just discussion because they are scared with the faith of covid what will happen with there family. No she doesn't work and hasn't work again she hasn't been here long. He makes a decent amount to maintain his family. Again they are just worried about there family being sperated for long period of time especially because it seems her country is about to close there borders again so basically she will be stuck....

They are just confused how it would work because she has a son that is her husband's child. And she can't seem to calulate the fee correctly where it's making sense. She knows the petition is 535 and the adjustment around 1400 ish with 85 of the biometrics but she doesn't know about her son because she's unsure if her husband can just outright claim him and there is like a waiver or because he was born outside the US have to file petition and adjustment for the both of them which would bring the fees up to a significant amount. 

No, he can’t just “outright claim him”. If the child had returned with his LPR father on the latter’s first trip back to the US after the birth and before the child was 2, or if the child was born after dad got his immigrant visa and accompanied him on his trip to enter on that, then the child would have automatically been processed as a LPR on entry; but under the current circumstances he has to file for him. But if he’s earning good money then the cost of an extra i485 fee shouldn’t be a hassle? 

and yeah yeah, this forum is full of people who’ve been separated from their loved ones for a long time while doing things right.  Not me luckily as we had a different route but many people here have done spouse visas.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from Tourist Visas to AOS from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

15 minutes ago, millefleur said:

**Moved from Tourist Visas to AOS from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas**

Thank you they are getting more of a better scope understanding all the processes with immigration. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.