Toby_HB

I-485 - Short Form Berth Cert & Registration Live Birth?

21 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have a wallet sized Birth Certificate from Canada but it does not have my parents name on it, but I have a copy of my Registration of Live Birth which has all mine and my parents info , but it was hand written by my mother - it is a certified copy from Vital Statistics Canada the country I am from. 

Are both of these acceptable for form I-485? 

Edited by Toby_HB

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Toby_HB said:

Hello all,

I have a wallet sized Birth Certificate from Canada but it does not have my parents name on it, but I have a copy of my Registration of Live Birth which has all mine and my parents info , but it was hand written by my mother - it is a certified copy from Vital Statistics Canada the country I am from. 

You need to check the reciprocity webpage.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

But I can say neither of them is gonna be accepted.

1 hour ago, Toby_HB said:

Hello all,

The copy of registration of live birth is what you need. I believe it is uniquely from Ontario. In BC you just have long and short form if your birth cert. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 minute ago, Toby_HB said:

This is what you're talking about?

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 5.39.36 PM.png

Yes but in BC you dont need that for immigration, in Ontario you do. It's weird. 

So if youre not from Ontario then get the long form birth certificate. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Just now, NikLR said:

Yes but in BC you dont need that for immigration, in Ontario you do. It's weird. 

I'm doing a AOS inside the US for marrige based GC,  but I'm asking if I can use this which has more info instead of the  "long form" Brith Cert. 

I'm confused by the BC vs Ontario comment? Sorry. 

Just now, Toby_HB said:

I'm doing a AOS inside the US for marrige based GC,  but I'm asking if I can use this which has more info instead of the  "long form" Brith Cert. 

I'm confused by the BC vs Ontario comment? Sorry. 

Which province were you born in? 

You can use the live birth registration not the short form (aka wallet size.)

Just now, NikLR said:

Which province were you born in? 

You can use the live birth registration not the short form (aka wallet size.)

I was born in BC, and my mom had the certified copy of my Live Birth Registration. 

So the live birth registration is just the bigger version of the wallet size birth certificate? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Toby_HB said:

Hello all,

Screenshot-20200717-204658.jpg

4 minutes ago, Toby_HB said:

I was born in BC, and my mom had the certified copy of my Live Birth Registration. 

So the live birth registration is just the bigger version of the wallet size birth certificate? 

No the long form is the bigger version of the wallet size.  It includes parents names. The live birth registration is exactly that, and generally only used by people in Ontario.  But you can use it also for this purpose. 

20200717_185242.jpg

Edited by NikLR

1 minute ago, NikLR said:

No the long form is the bigger version of the wallet size.  It includes parents names. The live birth registration is exactly that, and generally only used by people in Ontario. 

20200717_185242.jpg

Weird I renewed my passport in 2017, mine doesn't look like that?

Is your live birth registration filled out by hand?

3 minutes ago, Toby_HB said:

Weird I renewed my passport in 2017, mine doesn't look like that?

Is your live birth registration filled out by hand?

Ive never had a live birth registration, only the wallet sized birth certificates (2 of them, my original was lost and the 2nd is unreadable and doesnt contain parent info) that they no longer make and the long form I needed for immigration.  I got mine in 2011 and it looked just like that. (I was born in 1981.)

All live birth registration are filled out by hand. It's literally a certified copy of what your parents filled out when you were born. 

Edited by NikLR

1 minute ago, NikLR said:

Ive never had a live birth registration, only the wallet sized birth certificates (2 of them, my original was lost) that they no longer make and the long form I needed for immigration. 

All live birth registration are filled out by hand. It's literally a certified copy of what your parents filled out when you were born. 

Ah yes I just realized it was filled out by my mother. Thanks for your help, I'm glad I can use this and not have to wait for a copy of my birth cert mailed to my parents and scanned to me to file. 

20 hours ago, NikLR said:

Ive never had a live birth registration, only the wallet sized birth certificates (2 of them, my original was lost and the 2nd is unreadable and doesnt contain parent info) that they no longer make and the long form I needed for immigration.  I got mine in 2011 and it looked just like that. (I was born in 1981.)

Mine looks like this, I was born in 1990. 

Edited by Ontarkie
removed attachment containing personal information

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.