Chad and Claire

Embassy has her passport and medical is expired

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancé interviewed on January 16 at which time they asked for birth certificate of her kids and cenomar for ex which we had sent that day.  They kept her passport and hadn’t approved It before the shut down.  Fast forward to now and her medical is expired.  Is there any way to get medical done without her passport?  I emailed the embassy and just got back a generic email saying they are not open.  Any chance we can get them to expedite the processing of her visa?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
47 minutes ago, Chad and Claire said:

My fiancé interviewed on January 16 at which time they asked for birth certificate of her kids and cenomar for ex which we had sent that day.  They kept her passport and hadn’t approved It before the shut down.  Fast forward to now and her medical is expired.  Is there any way to get medical done without her passport?  I emailed the embassy and just got back a generic email saying they are not open.  Any chance we can get them to expedite the processing of her visa?

Ours is expired 26 May and passport is still at the USEM. As I know the only time you can re-do your medical at the st.lukes is when they request you to submit your new medical and you might just want to wait for that, as we all know it has 6months validity. Plus for now they only process and send all visas and passport back for those IR1,IR2/CR1,CR2 visas ( which is very sad 😥 )

54 minutes ago, Chad and Claire said:

Any chance we can get them to expedite the processing of her visa?

Not without a reason that merits an expedite per the criteria.  COVID19 delays will not be a reason.  There are people both ahead of and behind you in the queue for interviews once the embassy reopens.

I'd wait until USEM requests the medical. You don't want to do it too early and have it expire again or be forced to travel in a short timeframe.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

You are not alone, we interviewed on February 18th and they issued Visa on 26th and withheld it the next day wanting an updated NBI, which we had previously submitted with the original packet, Embassy shut down with her passport and now they can not tell you what the process will be when they open.   The Embassy made a series of critical mistakes in our processing that has resulted in this horrid delay and I fear they will add to their failures when they open.

Timeline

Similar situation here. Medical expires in September. We received a second 221g months after the interview. Delivery of that 221g must have been delayed because of the lockdown.

2 hours ago, JonSeattle said:

Similar situation here. Medical expires in September. We received a second 221g months after the interview. Delivery of that 221g must have been delayed because of the lockdown.

Just my opinion here......but if the embassy is locked down/closed for like 5 months,people's paperwork expiration dates should be extended The SAME amount of time as the lockdown was. We are married and just awaiting our interview. All documentation and financial records were accepted in February. She should have been here in April or May.I believe there is many of us in the same boat and it just sucks.

16 minutes ago, Mylilelar1 said:

paperwork expiration dates should be extended The SAME amount of time as the lockdown was

The thing is some paperwork has expiration dates for a reason. PCCs have them because new criminal charges can occur (which is also why a PCC from a palce you have not returned to since it was issued remains valid even past the expiration date). Medicals have them because people can catch a contagious disease. The limited validity periods are to minimize the chance for those types of events to occur.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
9 hours ago, Mylilelar1 said:

Just my opinion here......but if the embassy is locked down/closed for like 5 months,people's paperwork expiration dates should be extended The SAME amount of time as the lockdown was. We are married and just awaiting our interview. All documentation and financial records were accepted in February. She should have been here in April or May.I believe there is many of us in the same boat and it just sucks.

There is another site where my partner and I are in, ( CR1,CR2,IR1,IR2 ) they had their interview and got issued after few days and they got their visas too most of them they are flying this week. Hope your wife gets her interview soon..

Good luck 

Timeline
11 hours ago, JonSeattle said:

Us too we got 221g twice ( NBI ) then this pandemic stops everything. Hope there will be changes once USEM OPENS UP. 

15 hours ago, geowrian said:

Medicals have them because people can catch a contagious disease.

Yup. And DOS can't unilaterally disregard CDC's Technical Instructions: https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/tuberculosis-panel-technical-instructions.html "Travel clearance is valid for 6 months from the time the evaluation is complete."

Timeline

@Lil dash of Faith @PWB May I know how recent the embassy wanted the NBI clearance to be? I was looking through the forum and some say 1 year, others 6 months old. I'm sorry about the delays with your visas... I wish the embassy would prioritize those whose passports and visas and cases are already with them while they couldn't open for routine processing.

Timeline

The NBI was less than 2 months old.  Our initial document screen at window 34 was horrid.  Lost my fiance's medical records, took over two hours to find them, and I think they lost the NBI and then asked for a new one.   Make sure your NBI has all the AKA issues addressed.   Good Luck

t

49 minutes ago, Broccoli Girl said:

@Lil dash of Faith @PWB May I know how recent the embassy wanted the NBI clearance to be? I was looking through the forum and some say 1 year, others 6 months old. I'm sorry about the delays with your visas... I wish the embassy would prioritize those whose passports and visas and cases are already with them while they couldn't open for routine processing.

Hi! I suggest you call the embassy. As I have tried before, I never had any luck through their email.

I called them since my medical would expire this Sept 3. I asked these questions:

1. Can I take the medical again even before it expires?

- She did not say a direct answer but what she said was. "We would not recommend that."

2. If it expires, what then?

-You will have to take the medical exam again and you would need to sign a waiver. If I understand it correctly, the waiver is something about taking the medical without any instruction from the embassy.

3. Would we pay the same fee? I have taken the vaccinations tho.

-Yes, the same fee. She said something about how it depends on the physician etc.

By the way, I am yet to have my interview which was supposedly last March. So I don't know if it is the same as those who already have their visas and the medical expires.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.