Usaph

Report of Marriage and Passport Renewal questions

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi again! After getting married last fall on a K-1 visa, we're now needing a passport renewal for my wife, so on top of that we should do the report of marriage.

For ROM, the instructions here are a bit unclear and we want some confirmation before sending out some important documents.

• For Requirement #1, do we need to get 5 forms notarized (1 for each packet), correct?
  • For Requirement #2, marriage contract/certificate/license/record are all similar but different terms. We have a sealed certified copy from the courthouse. I'm guessing that's what they want, correct?
  • For Requirement #3, do we both really need to send our physical passports in for ROM? Or what is a "certified true copy"? Is that something done at a notary? We're not traveling internationally soon so we could send in our physical passports, but that's one more valuable thing that could get lost and delayed.
  • For Requirement #4, it says "such as" but that list doesn't include birth certificate. She has her green card, but she didn't have that at time of marriage. So would that be the K-1 insert in the passport?

Requirements 5 through 8 are self-explanatory.

We might have questions on passport renewal later, but for now just want confirmation on what the requirements mean.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

For ROM,  other than the multiple notarized versions of the application form itself, the only other original document we sent was the marriage certificate.   Everything else was a photocopy 

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

For ROM,  other than the multiple notarized versions of the application form itself, the only other original document we sent was the marriage certificate.   Everything else was a photocopy 

So you sent photocopies of your passports for packet 1? Were any of the photocopies notarized?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Usaph said:

So you sent photocopies of your passports for packet 1? Were any of the photocopies notarized?

Only thing notarized was the multiple copies of the ROM application.   What do you mean by packet 1?

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Only thing notarized was the multiple copies of the ROM application.   What do you mean by packet 1?

Gotcha, thanks. I meant "set" 1.

1. First Set – Original Report of Marriage (ROM) application and certified true copy of documents.
  2. Second Set – Original ROM application and copy of documents.
  3. Third Set – same as second set.
  4. Fourth Set - same as second set.
  5. Fifth Set - same as second set. (If applying for a Philippine passport after the Civil Registry application)

Following as I have no idea where and how I can renew my PH passport, it expires on January 2021. I'm in Atlanta.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, Usaph said:

Hi again! After getting married last fall on a K-1 visa, we're now needing a passport renewal for my wife, so on top of that we should do the report of marriage.

For ROM, the instructions here are a bit unclear and we want some confirmation before sending out some important documents.

• For Requirement #1, do we need to get 5 forms notarized (1 for each packet), correct?
  • For Requirement #2, marriage contract/certificate/license/record are all similar but different terms. We have a sealed certified copy from the courthouse. I'm guessing that's what they want, correct?
  • For Requirement #3, do we both really need to send our physical passports in for ROM? Or what is a "certified true copy"? Is that something done at a notary? We're not traveling internationally soon so we could send in our physical passports, but that's one more valuable thing that could get lost and delayed.
  • For Requirement #4, it says "such as" but that list doesn't include birth certificate. She has her green card, but she didn't have that at time of marriage. So would that be the K-1 insert in the passport:no:  

We might have questions on passport renewal later, but for now just want confirmation on what the requirements mean.

Use this>>>>>   https://philippineembassy-usa.org/report-of-marriage-application-by-mail/

Passport:   Personally I would only send certified/notarized copies, but that is me.  (sending my original passport would make me nervous for sure, sometimes the Philippine government goes off the cliff with their requirements)

Green Card:  I would only send certified copies of the Green Card.  The card itself is required to be carried by the LPR at all times.        PSA birth certificate is listed 

Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.) requires all lawful permanent residents (LPRs) to have “at all times” official evidence of LPR status. ... In the time before receiving the green card in the mail, the LPR would have to carry his or her passport “at all times” or risk breaking the law.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
3 hours ago, Southern_Belle07 said:

Following as I have no idea where and how I can renew my PH passport, it expires on January 2021. I'm in Atlanta.

https://philippineembassy-usa.org/e-passport-renewal/

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
On 7/11/2020 at 4:50 AM, Hank_ said:

Use this>>>>>   https://philippineembassy-usa.org/report-of-marriage-application-by-mail/

Passport:   Personally I would only send certified/notarized copies, but that is me.  (sending my original passport would make me nervous for sure, sometimes the Philippine government goes off the cliff with their requirements)

Green Card:  I would only send certified copies of the Green Card.  The card itself is required to be carried by the LPR at all times.        PSA birth certificate is listed 

Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.) requires all lawful permanent residents (LPRs) to have “at all times” official evidence of LPR status. ... In the time before receiving the green card in the mail, the LPR would have to carry his or her passport “at all times” or risk breaking the law.

Philippineembassy-usa.org lists birth certificate, but newyorkpcg.org does not. We're going to NYC. Should we include it just to be safe?

Since she didn't have green card at time of marriage, then we'd send certified passport copy showing the K1 visa stamp, correct?

Thanks so much!

Timeline
19 hours ago, Usaph said:

Philippineembassy-usa.org lists birth certificate, but newyorkpcg.org does not. We're going to NYC. Should we include it just to be safe?

Since she didn't have green card at time of marriage, then we'd send certified passport copy showing the K1 visa stamp, correct?

Thanks so much!

Do you have the NOA1 from USCIS from applying for the green card?  Send a copy of that.

Births must be reported to the consulate representing the location where the child was born.   

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 7/10/2020 at 7:45 PM, Usaph said:

• For Requirement #4, it says "such as" but that list doesn't include birth certificate. She has her green card, but she didn't have that at time of marriage. So would that be the K-1 insert in the passport?

1. No Need to do ROM 

2. You can renew her passport in her maiden name

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.