satoru

Green Card with Family Members - when will get cards, ssn and travel

10 posts in this topic

I'm sure we're all super confused by everything so I hope I can get some clarifications

My mother-in-law's family was approved to come in on a family visa (husband, wife, son). In terms of timelines

June 2019 - Approval

Aug 2019 - Filled in DS-260, I-864

Dec 2019 - Interview at HK consulate

Jan 2020 - Immigrant visas issues 

June 2020 - landed in USA, did entry interviews (which didn't amount to much from what they told me)

So they're all here finally! But I'm a bit confused by well everything else 

1) When will they get their greencard?

2) The immigrant visa says 'upon endoremsent serves as temporary i-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year' - does this mean now that they're here they've got a 'temporary' 1 year green card until they get their real card?

3) is the whole thing with whatever the hell our president is doing, impact them getting their green card? I'm not sure if the ban refers to just the interviews or getting a green card once you land?

4) can they travel while waiting for the permanent card? I guess that depends on what #2 means in my questions.

5) I applied to get their SSN numbers, I assume that gets mailed? Is there a website where I can look up that status

6) here's a weird one, if 'in theory' the sponsor parent abandons his green card by leaving for more than 6 months, does that impact the son's status? Or is it more that once they're here they're all now kinda separate things?

Sorry if that's a bit rambly or unclear. I'll be happy to provide more information if needed. I realize they're pretty lucky to have even gotten in given everything that's going on.

Thanks!

09/03/08 - Sent I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 to Chicago Lockbox

09/11/08 - Checks cashed

09/15/08 - NOA received

09/16/08 - Biometrics appointment for 09/30/08

09/30/08 - Biometrics completed - cases available online

11/20/08 - EAD and AP approved

11/25/08 - AP received

12/01/08 - EAD received

02/10/09 - AOS Interview - Green card approved :D

02/20/09 - Green Card received

Just now, satoru said:

1) When will they get their greencard?

In the mail - a few weeks to many months after the immigrant visa fee is paid.

1 minute ago, satoru said:

2) The immigrant visa says 'upon endoremsent serves as temporary i-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year' - does this mean now that they're here they've got a 'temporary' 1 year green card until they get their real card?

Yes

1 minute ago, satoru said:

3) is the whole thing with whatever the hell our president is doing, impact them getting their green card?

No

2 minutes ago, satoru said:

4) can they travel while waiting for the permanent card?

Yes  Mary arrived on a sunday and we were back in Mexico on the beach friday

2 minutes ago, satoru said:

) I applied to get their SSN numbers, I assume that gets mailed? Is there a website where I can look up that status

No.  precovid you could go in to the SSA office and get one requested.

3 minutes ago, satoru said:

6) here's a weird one, if 'in theory' the sponsor parent abandons his green card by leaving for more than 6 months, does that impact the son's status?

You mean the actual sponsor or primary beneficiary?

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1. Usually 1-2 months after arrival, assuming the $220 green card fee has been paid.

2. Yes

3. No, they are already green card holders.

4. Yes

5. Yes it should get mailed and no re online lookup, wait or wait till they can go into an SS office to check once they reopen 
6. No, they are now each on their own green cards.

Edited by SusieQQQ

19 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

In the mail - a few weeks to many months after the immigrant visa fee is paid.

I paid the fee like in February, so i hope they get it soon-ish?

20 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

No.  precovid you could go in to the SSA office and get one requested.

Oddly as part of the DS-260 (I think) it asked if I wanted to apply for an SSN as part of the application. I said yes (since like why wouldnt you??) so I wasn't sure if they were just going to get it mailed as part of the green card or something separate?

21 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

You mean the actual sponsor or primary beneficiary?

I guess I mean the primary beneficiary. The father is the primary beneficiary. The father/wife don't really care that much about the Green card, but they're more concerned about their son as he's coming out of college now. Since job opportunities are better in America compared to Hong Kong, and yeah HK is really getting unattractive by the week so they definitely want their son to GTFO. In know coming in their status depended on the father coming in first. But now that they're here, are their individual status dependent on the primary beneficiary too? 

09/11/08 - Checks cashed

09/15/08 - NOA received

11/25/08 - AP received

12/01/08 - EAD received

6 minutes ago, satoru said:

I guess I mean the primary beneficiary. The father is the primary beneficiary. The father/wife don't really care that much about the Green card, but they're more concerned about their son as he's coming out of college now. Since job opportunities are better in America compared to Hong Kong, and yeah HK is really getting unattractive by the week so they definitely want their son to GTFO. In know coming in their status depended on the father coming in first. But now that they're here, are their individual status dependent on the primary beneficiary too? 

No, it doesn’t, because he has his own independent green card now. If his parents leave he will be fine. The original sponsor is still financially responsible for him of course.

8 minutes ago, satoru said:

Card production is triggered on entry so it doesn’t matter how long before it was paid. (If it is paid after entry, then production is delayed until payment.)

14 minutes ago, satoru said:

Oddly as part of the DS-260 (I think) it asked if I wanted to apply for an SSN as part of the application. I said yes (since like why wouldnt you??) so I wasn't sure if they were just going to get it mailed as part of the green card or something separate?

Sometimes the cards arrive fine.  Other times you need to go in.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Thanks for all the speedy and helpful replies! I'm feeling a lot better about their situation. Anyway they were obviously pretty lucky they got all their stuff approved and got into America before everything went upside down. 

09/11/08 - Checks cashed

09/15/08 - NOA received

11/25/08 - AP received

12/01/08 - EAD received

Oh, one thing. If the parents do decide to move back to Hong Kong, have them formally surrender their green cards (form I407). This will mean they no longer have to file tax returns with the IRS, and will help with proving non immigrant intent for when they (presumably) apply for tourist visas down the line to visit their mom and son. 

8 hours ago, satoru said:

Since they entered in June, calculate 120 days after their entry date: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/expect-green-card If they don't get their Green Cards by October contact USCIS.

8 hours ago, satoru said:
I said yes (since like why wouldnt you??) so I wasn't sure if they were just going to get it mailed as part of the green card or something separate?

It comes separate. If they don't receive their SS cards within 3 weeks of entry, then call SSA: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/Handout_11_1.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.