TinNhi

Should we prepare for K1 interview as if Public Charge rules apply?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Starting to get really nervous about our anticipated K1 interview in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.  Although the Public Charge rules shouldn't affect the K1 (interview stage), should we just assume that the CO is looking ahead at our future to calculate our risk level of being a Public Charge?

For example,  should we assume and prepare as if the CO is looking for:

• DS-5540 form
  • 250% of the minimum income level (future household of 2)
  • Education documents (E.g. degree from a Vietnam university)
  • English language proficiency certificate (E.g. IELTS)
  • Private United States medical insurance coverage

Thank you,

Tin - Natural-born U.S. Citizen, Male, Vietnamese descent

Nhi - Vietnamese Citizen, Female

Met in 2018 while Tin was on a 3 month family vacation in Vietnam.  Tin took another 3 month vacation to be with Nhi in 2019.

I-129F (K1) mailed in December 2019

NOA1 in January 2020

NOA2 in June 2020

3 minutes ago, TinNhi said:

Although the Public Charge rules shouldn't affect the K1 (interview stage)

K-1 visa applicants have always been subject to the public charge inadmisability.

Earlier this year, both USCIS and DOS release rule changes on determining if somebody is likely to become a public charge. These are separate - but very similar - rules.

USCIS handles AOS.

DOS handles visas.

For the K-1 specifically, see the considerations from the FAM: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2

For AOS (after getting the K-1 and marrying in the US) later, see the USCIS worksheet: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/policymanual/resources/Appendix-TotalityoftheCircumstancesFramework.pdf

6 minutes ago, TinNhi said:
  • DS-5540 form
  • 250% of the minimum income level (future household of 2)
  • Education documents (E.g. degree from a Vietnam university)
  • English language proficiency certificate (E.g. IELTS)
  • Private United States medical insurance coverage
  1. Not strictly required for K-1, but a CO can request it. it is advised to have one prepared in case they ask for it.
  2. This is a heavily weighted positive factor in the totality of circumstances. It is not a strict requirement...it is a positive factor.
  3. I have not seen anybody say a CO requested this for a family-based visa. It doesn't mean they can't do so, but generally I would suspect that the education information from the DS-160 is sufficient.
  4. I don't believe this is stated as a factor for the DOS rule, but might be considered in terms of employability. It is not required, and I don't think most people provide it or it is requested.
  5. It is wise to have a plan in place for acquiring medical insurance shortly after arrival in the US. This can be showing that you can be added to your SO's plan after marriage, and costs to do so. Or if that's not possible, the plans from the state's exchange can be shown as you will qualify for those once you file for AOS. Private insurance is the last option. "Private" here refers to non-employer, non-exchange plans...not public vs private plans like Medicaid.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Thank you so much for the information and clarification! :)

Regarding the income factor, I read (or watched on YouTube) that the Public Charge rule now looks at the Beneficiary as well.   Does this mean that regardless of the current income I make (as the Petitioner), she will also need to make 100-125% of the minimum income requirement?

My "source":  https://youtu.be/fn_VQQJuL9A

Regarding health insurance, I intend on adding her to my Employer-sponsored plan.

Edited by TinNhi

Met in 2018 while Tin was on a 3 month family vacation in Vietnam.  Tin took another 3 month vacation to be with Nhi in 2019.

NOA1 in January 2020

NOA2 in June 2020

1 minute ago, TinNhi said:

Thank you so much for the information and clarification! :)

Regarding the income factor, I read (or watched on YouTube) that the Public Charge rule now looks at the Beneficiary as well.   Does this mean that regardless of the current income I make (as the Petitioner), she will also need to make 100-125% of the minimum income requirement?

My "source":  https://youtu.be/fn_VQQJuL9A

The sources I provided above are from the relevant government departments, so I would suggest sticking with that. ;)

The applicant's income does not really matter unless it will continue from the same source upon entering the US (which for a K-1 is unlikely as they are not authorized to work yet).

The applicant's employment history, employability, and earning potential would be considerations in the totality of the circumstances. That's not to say having them is required...people who have never worked and plan to be a housewife/househusband can immigrate fine. Their sponsor(s) just need to be able to demonstrate that they will not become a public charge.

Whereas if the applicant has a work history, that burden is lessened. If they work in a field where they do or are likely to earn 125% or more of the FPL, that's even better. It helps show self-sufficiency.

For instance, my wife is an ICU RN. In her home country, she would earn under $10,000/year - way below the FPL. But in the US, she earns respectably (but still too low!) above the FPL. That's a positive factor even though her income at the time was below that threshold.

e. (U) Assets, Resources and Financial Status: 

(1)  (U) Applicant's Income, Assets and Resources: If an applicant has sufficient assets, resources, and/or financial status to support him or herself and members of the applicant's household after admission, it is a positive factor in the totality of the circumstances, as the applicant is less likely to become a public charge.  You must consider, among other relevant factors, the following aspects of an applicant's assets, resources, and financial status:

(a)  (U) Annual Gross Income: You must consider the applicant's household's annual gross income or projected annual gross income in the United States as a positive factor in the totality of the circumstances analysis if the annual gross income is at least 125 percent of the most recent Federal Poverty Guideline (FPG) based on the applicant's household size (or 100 percent for an applicant on active duty, other than training, in the U.S. Armed Forces).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I've been through the K-1 interview at HCMC. My fiance was interviewed and then I was called to the window for an interview and to explain some things. Here's what I can tell you:

- If the American makes above the threshold, can get insurance for VN fiance, and generally has a stable job - that's good. No problem.

- If the American is good with the IRS and you have the paperwork in order - that's good.

- If the American and VN know a lot about each other (family, work, school, etc.), that is essential. If you don't - big problem.

- If the VN can speak English and is educated - that's good. They want some assurance that she can work and assimilate into U.S.

- Be genuine. If you don't understand a question, just say so. You may not be able to answer everything. I was asked some strange questions, such as "Where did your fiance go to university and what did she study?" I knew it was in Hanoi and I knew the major. No big deal.

- We have a 21-year age difference, but we had spent a lot of time together and I knew a lot about her village and family. I think they liked that. I had been in VN quite a bit and know a lot about the culture, history, politics, etc. I think it helped.

- Be confident. Don't look nervous while waiting to be called to the window. You'll be OK.

Timeline

We can't thank you guys enough for the information and assistance!  Our confidence level is growing, indeed!  :)

NOA1 in January 2020

NOA2 in June 2020

16 minutes ago, TinNhi said:

We can't thank you guys enough for the information and assistance!  Our confidence level is growing, indeed!  :)

You may want to be a part of the discussion that's taking place from VN applicants found in the sub-forum for your area. Here is the link https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/90-asia-east-and-pacific/.  Good luck and stay engaged. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.