remotercharm

Any people waiting for k1 interviews separated?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

When did you last see your fiancé/fiancée?  For me it was February.  Our March and July interview was cancelled.  I'm not super hopeful our August appointment will come through or that the US will drop the travel ban anytime soon.  Instead of hoping for the interview, I'm thinking of heading over to the UK for a couple months and just going through with the 2 week quarantine.

Edited by remotercharm

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I hadn't seen my fiance since January. Our interview was scheduled for March 23rd and was obviously canceled, as was my trip to London with him during that time.  Not knowing when we were going to see each next these past several months has been horrible.  I ended up flying out there for 15 days on June 6th and stayed holed up in the house with him. Was wholly worth it, and thankfully no one got sick.  I am now back home in the U.S. carrying out another 14 day quarantine and crossing my fingers the London Embassy changes its stance on K1 Visas in time for our newly scheduled date of July 30th.  

If your circumstances allow you to go visit for over 2 weeks, go for it! 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, tris&kris said:

February for us too. We are thinking of planning an August vacation to a place that allows both US and UK tourists. Leading candidate right now is the Bahamas

Nice, we were thinking of Mexico as an alternative.  Was also thinking that if we meet in Mexico and we stay there for 2 weeks then he could technically come into the US since he will not have been in one of the banned countries in the past 2 weeks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Oh true we were thinking of Mexico too. Good idea. Always iffy to enter on a ESTA as a K1 but it’s worth a try. My fiancé didn’t have any issues last time and he stayed for 80 days. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, tris&kris said:

Oh true we were thinking of Mexico too. Good idea. Always iffy to enter on a ESTA as a K1 but it’s worth a try. My fiancé didn’t have any issues last time and he stayed for 80 days. 

How would they even know?  Is it not allowed?  We applied in September and he came to visit me in Nov for a couple weeks last year.

Edited by remotercharm

Timeline

Well you should be honest with your intentions to the CBP officer. You don’t have to declare you’re a K1 right off the bat but you should say you’re there to visit fiancé. And they may ask for proof that you’re planning to return such as return flights, letter from job, car payment, etc. 

They only asked my fiancé for his return flight and he was through within a few minutes

Timeline
1 minute ago, tris&kris said:

Well you should be honest with your intentions to the CBP officer. You don’t have to declare you’re a K1 right off the bat but you should say you’re there to visit fiancé. And they may ask for proof that you’re planning to return such as return flights, letter from job, car payment, etc. 

They only asked my fiancé for his return flight and he was through within a few minutes

Yea we definitely always go the honest route.  Has worked fine so far in both countries.  Is there something somewhere that says you aren't supposed to visit while waiting for the k1 visa?

Timeline

No it’s not forbidden. But on the London embassy’s website it says you may face additional scrutiny from the officer and it’s up to you to provide the burden of proof that you plan to return within the allowed time period

Timeline
1 minute ago, tris&kris said:

No it’s not forbidden. But on the London embassy’s website it says you may face additional scrutiny from the officer and it’s up to you to provide the burden of proof that you plan to return within the allowed time period

Ah okay, thanks.

Timeline

August last year was sadly the last time I saw him. This has all been stressing us out, not to mention to my new line of work means I can't travel at the moment. Here's to hoping something works out soon and we'll all get to be with our future spouses!

Timeline
2 hours ago, TinyRapunzel said:

August last year was sadly the last time I saw him. This has all been stressing us out, not to mention to my new line of work means I can't travel at the moment. Here's to hoping something works out soon and we'll all get to be with our future spouses!

Wow that's a long time. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
21 hours ago, remotercharm said:

Nice, we were thinking of Mexico as an alternative.  Was also thinking that if we meet in Mexico and we stay there for 2 weeks then he could technically come into the US since he will not have been in one of the banned countries in the past 2 weeks.

It’s hurricane season and August/Sept can get very active. Avoid resorts around Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen unless you want to take a gamble.

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline

March was last time for us, but Jess has a flight to visit me in the UK in a couple of weeks. 🥳  

After reading how many of you have had much much longer apart than us, we feel very fortunate now that it's "only" been 3 ish months.  Let's all hope this travel ban stuff and K1 processing gets sorted soon!

On a side note, have any of you had to cancel wedding arrangements?  We have one booked for 24th October, did you have to forfeit deposits? Did insurance cover it? Trying to have our options in place *just in case*.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.