safeandsound86

Working in Canada after green card approval...

8 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi everyone.

I'm not 100% sure where I should post, but I am hoping I might be given some direction.

I am a Canadian Citizen living in a border town. Its a half hour drive to my boyfriends in the USA (US Citizen). Its our hope that once we've completed the Visa/Green card journey, I will continue to work in Canada. I have a job that I love, and my commute really would not change. Has anyone ever been in this situation? Is this even possible? I've seen stories about travel restrictions for honeymoons, etc., I just wonder if that would apply in this situation, or if there are any exemptions we would be able to apply for? We're leaning toward the Marriage-based Visa rather than the K-1, in the hopes that after we've married, we can continue to travel to see each other and remain working at our current jobs until I am approved to live in the US (I understand this also might be a bit more complicated once an application is in motion).

Thank you so much for any help/direction.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

If you want to continue working in Canada get married and apply for the CR1. The k1 would be absolutely pointless if you plan on keeping your job. Plenty of people work across the border your case is not unique or complicated. The only complications will be when it comes time to file taxes as you would have to file both Canada and US taxes. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
3 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

If you want to continue working in Canada get married and apply for the CR1. The k1 would be absolutely pointless if you plan on keeping your job. Plenty of people work across the border your case is not unique or complicated. The only complications will be when it comes time to file taxes as you would have to file both Canada and US taxes. 

Thank you so much for the response! I've talked to a few others, but they'd all opted to work where they had landed - and information I've found in various sources online tends to speak to people coming from much further away than myself without the ability to cross daily.  I assumed there must be others in my shoes - that border isn't a small one. Thanks again - you've re-assured my concerns :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
19 minutes ago, safeandsound86 said:

Thank you so much for the response! I've talked to a few others, but they'd all opted to work where they had landed - and information I've found in various sources online tends to speak to people coming from much further away than myself without the ability to cross daily.  I assumed there must be others in my shoes - that border isn't a small one. Thanks again - you've re-assured my concerns :)

No problem- it is actually very common in border towns; I'm sure once you move here you will meet others in your same boat as well. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

No problem- it is actually very common in border towns; I'm sure once you move here you will meet others in your same boat as well. 

I've always thought it was strange I hadn't yet - for almost 5 years we've been crossing every weekend. I know plenty of Americans who have moved here with a spouse, but also got jobs in Canada & vice versa

14 hours ago, safeandsound86 said:

I've always thought it was strange I hadn't yet - for almost 5 years we've been crossing every weekend. I know plenty of Americans who have moved here with a spouse, but also got jobs in Canada & vice versa

Probably dont want to deal with the taxes issues.  You have pay non-resident taxes with your Canadian job.  You no longer qualify for Canadian health care etc.. 

But if you love your job, it's absolutely doable.  Do you have a nexus card already? Is there a nexus lane at the crossing to make things easier?

~~moved to Canada regional forum from general immigration discussion. Topic is Canada specific.~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there! I actually do this now, and have been since 2017. I lived in one border city when we started the CR-1 process. Midway through the CR-1, I moved to another border city and continued visiting. I still work in that city but now live in Michigan. We were together for 7 years before I emigrated and I never had a problem visiting. I was always forthright about the petition/visa and kept proof of ties to Canada in my car (which I never had to show). I actually had the visa in hand for a couple months before I moved (due to having an apartment lease), and customs didn't care (I visited using a Nexus, and left my passport at home in Canada).

The tax stuff honestly isn't that bad, but I guess it depends on your income and other investments. Since you live in a border town, there will be accountants around who specialize in CAN/USA taxes. We hired a professional the first year to make sure it was done properly.

People always think my life is some gigantic hassle but it's really not bad at all. I love my job and have a pension I wasn't willing to give up. We do eventually plan to move to Canada, so keeping one foot in the door will be helpful to us anyway. In all honesty, I kind of love it because I get the best of both worlds (minus health care, blah).

If there's anything I can help with, let me know!

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 6/20/2020 at 5:56 AM, NikLR said:

Probably dont want to deal with the taxes issues.  You have pay non-resident taxes with your Canadian job.  You no longer qualify for Canadian health care etc.. 

But if you love your job, it's absolutely doable.  Do you have a nexus card already? Is there a nexus lane at the crossing to make things easier?

~~moved to Canada regional forum from general immigration discussion. Topic is Canada specific.~~

Sorry it's been so long since I've checked in! I appreciate the response. Yes, we have a nexus bridge which has definitely been helpful - unfortunately, since I'd be in New York once I move, I won't be able to renew my Nexus unless something changes to that law. 

I wasn't clear on the health care (or if there were exceptions), but he has a great plan that I can be added to, and we've always known taxes might be a bit of a hassle, but I'm willing to do it, since I have a great job that really wouldn't be available near where we'd be living in the states. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.