Embd

Visa Interview Questions - Previous Marriage

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi All,

My husband is immigrating from Pakistan to the U.S., hopefully in the next couple of months, fingers crossed and lots of prayers. Thankfully our paperwork we submitted to the NVC was approved so, now we're waiting for the embassies to open back up for his visa interview to be scheduled. As we prep for his visa interview, we have noticed a few people had questions about their previous marriages during their visa interviews. One alarming trend is visa interviewers asking for proof of previous marriage besides the divorce certificate. Our questions are:

1.) Why would the interviewers ask for further evidence, is there something in the case that may flag this?

2.) How did you answer these questions (did you have photos, affidavits, etc.)?

3.) Would you recommend having more evidence, besides a divorce certificate, for a previous marriage?

Our concern is that my husband only has a divorce certificate as proof for his previous marriage. His first marriage was an unhappy one, they took no photos together, and the wedding was more of a tribal/religious ceremony with no paperwork being filed, we truly only have the divorce certificate as evidence. We are debating whether or not to gather some of the attendees and the mullah who presided over the previous marriage to write an affidavit for my husband to take to the interview. We want to make sure we cover all bases, this probably seems like small peas in the grand scheme of a visa interview but, you never know. Would love advice from folk's who experienced this themselves. 

Thank you!

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Embd said:

Hi All,

My husband is immigrating from Pakistan to the U.S., hopefully in the next couple of months, fingers crossed and lots of prayers. Thankfully our paperwork we submitted to the NVC was approved so, now we're waiting for the embassies to open back up for his visa interview to be scheduled. As we prep for his visa interview, we have noticed a few people had questions about their previous marriages during their visa interviews. One alarming trend is visa interviewers asking for proof of previous marriage besides the divorce certificate. Our questions are:

1.) Why would the interviewers ask for further evidence, is there something in the case that may flag this?

3.) Would you recommend having more evidence, besides a divorce certificate, for a previous marriage?

Our concern is that my husband only has a divorce certificate as proof for his previous marriage. His first marriage was an unhappy one, they took no photos together, and the wedding was more of a tribal/religious ceremony with no paperwork being filed, we truly only have the divorce certificate as evidence. We are debating whether or not to gather some of the attendees and the mullah who presided over the previous marriage to write an affidavit for my husband to take to the interview. We want to make sure we cover all bases, this probably seems like small peas in the grand scheme of a visa interview but, you never know. Would love advice from folk's who experienced this themselves. 

Thank you!

Hello, I am not the best person to help you out here but one suggestion would be to find photographs (others may have on their phone/computer) and affidavit is a good proof (evidence) or any old previous proof of the ceremony that can affirm that the wedding took place, if anyone has a wedding card proof or something else could be helpful....gather as much evidence as possible.... hope this helps. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Embd said:

Hi All,

Thank you!

I do not recommend affidavits.  The more you try to "prove" at this embassy causes more harm than good.  

I have seen them ask for pictures of a previous wedding on this site before but rare.  It is most likely to compare the two weddings.  They are more concerned with the fact the divorce actually happened. 

Speaking from experience no amount of evidence will help you if they have a doubt.  The best thing you do is relax.  Give them what you have.  Don't dig up new evidence and stay calm.  

Some people get a visa a few weeks after an interview at Islamabad some take years there is no way to guarantee what will happen in your case.  Just try to not overthink it.

Good luck!

8 hours ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

I do not recommend affidavits.  The more you try to "prove" at this embassy causes more harm than good.  

I have seen them ask for pictures of a previous wedding on this site before but rare.  It is most likely to compare the two weddings.  They are more concerned with the fact the divorce actually happened. 

Speaking from experience no amount of evidence will help you if they have a doubt.  The best thing you do is relax.  Give them what you have.  Don't dig up new evidence and stay calm.  

Some people get a visa a few weeks after an interview at Islamabad some take years there is no way to guarantee what will happen in your case.  Just try to not overthink it.

Good luck!

I'm not familiar with that post's dealings but I can echo the advise given above.

submit what is officialy required by the forms and that Embassy. Do not submit additional documents based on hear-say.

I agree that if the official have doubts, they may kick the can down the road and either they ask for something specific or they need to clear it internally.

understand that (especially) male applicants from that part of the world require added layer of scrutiny and vetting. 

Timeline
21 hours ago, Lexushim said:

Hello, I am not the best person to help you out here but one suggestion would be to find photographs (others may have on their phone/computer) and affidavit is a good proof (evidence) or any old previous proof of the ceremony that can affirm that the wedding took place, if anyone has a wedding card proof or something else could be helpful....gather as much evidence as possible.... hope this helps. 

Please ignore this then...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.