TriloByte

''Filing jointly''

44 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

My wife thinks “funnily enough” sounds silly. And she hates aluminium and vitamins. But other things like garage and some slang often have a British flair. We kinda bounce back and forth picking up from each other after being together so long.  I had to learn to say “ranch dressing” like a proper Texan so the drive-thru people would know what I was ordering. 

What's wrong with ''funnily enough''? 😀

I can just imagine this picture now with the ranch dressing at a Texas drive-thru. That's hilarious. 😆

That reminds me, we were in a restaurant in Texas once and I was asked what I wanted to drink. I said ''just water, please''. Pronounced the British way, saying the letter ''T''. Completely blank look on the waitress' face. So I said 'wah-err' with a Texan drawl and she right away understood what I meant! Can you believe that?! I mean, it doesn't take a lot of brains to work out I probably meant 'water' to drink, even if it was pronounced slightly differently! 

2 hours ago, PaddyGirl13 said:

Tell your Irish friend you are 'Extracting the Micheal",  "Taking the pee"  but use the 4 letter P word, or "having the Craic", Craic is pronounced Crack...(it means fun in Irish, nothing to do with drugs)  :) 

I've always loved the phrase ''how's/what's the craic (crack)''. I've always wanted to go up to someone in a country far, far from the UK and say ''alright, how's the crack?''. Just to see the confusion and the cogs turning in their brain - ''isn't that a bit of a personal question, what's the state of my a$S got to do with anything?''. 😆

Edited by TriloByte

Click here to see my detailed timeline and experience.

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 Received Date :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

RFIE (Birth Cert, Translation)

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

Distance is to love like wind is to fire… it extinguishes the small and kindles the great!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
3 hours ago, PaddyGirl13 said:

Tell your Irish friend you are 'Extracting the Micheal",  "Taking the pee"  but use the 4 letter P word, or "having the Craic", Craic is pronounced Crack...(it means fun in Irish, nothing to do with drugs)  :) 

He is a true Irishman!!!! I reapeat. He's a true Irishman!!!. He passed the test. 

I just texted him and told him "I'm having the craic." And he replied and told me the meaning when I quizzed him to see if he'd fail. I always thought his 'faded yellow hair (Irish symbol to me)" was fake. But he's a true Irishman!!!!! 

He's a good friend of mine. Known him for 2 years and we go back and forth jobbing each other. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
2 hours ago, TriloByte said:

Haha. Taking the p1ss is more common than 'pee' but that gets bleeped out here. But pee is used too. Funnily enough, aluminium is the only word my husband has started saying the British way. The American ''ah-loo-min-umm'' sounds cute but it's too silly for me.

We've had some other funny misunderstandings. You'll think I'm a complete idiot here (and it was idiotic!) but we were on a road trip when we first got married when I suddenly said ''Oh, we're near our Kansas''. My husband had a confuzzled look on his face like he was trying to scratch an itch he couldn't reach inside his brain. A few minutes later he says ''Err, what the F is Our Kansas?''. *silence* ''Oh, you don't mean Arkansas?''.

I'm not usually dumb like that, I don't know what I was thinking! But it was hilarious. We always call it Our Kansas now.

Anyway, time for me to get back to the I-715... 😬 🙂

I called it that too. But I was lucky that a friend of mine heard me and told me it's "Ark-in-saw". That was an upgrade from "Ar - Kansas" that I just proudly blurted out.

So as I stated earlier,  my former job had like 25% British English speakers, direct from UK. My Boss was Scottish but been in US since 2000. However, 10% of the time I didn't understand what he said. I guess being in the US from 2000 softened his accent. 

On the other hand, we had this guy who just came from Scotland. 90% of the time, I never understood what this guy said. I would be back there scratching my head tying to catch up. I limited my talk with this dude as much as I could but would eavesdrop when he's conversing with other so that I can improve. 

So I think it was the deep Scottish accent that I never understood because I easily understood what others from other parts of the UK said. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

What's wrong with ''funnily enough''? 😀

I can just imagine this picture now with the ranch dressing at a Texas drive-thru. That's hilarious. 😆

She thinks the word “funnily” is hilarious, just the sound of it.  Had never hear that word in her life. Her similar phrase would be “oddly enough....”

The drive-thru scene—

I’d like a crispy chicken salad with ranch dressing.

What kind of dressing for that?

Ranch

French?

Ranch!

Crunch??

Ranch!!

Can you repeat that?

I nail it now on my first try after my wife coached me.

Edited by Wuozopo

43 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

She thinks the word “funnily” is hilarious, just the sound of it.  Had never hear that word in her life. Her similar phrase would be “oddly enough....”

The drive-thru scene—

I’d like a crispy chicken salad with ranch dressing.

What kind of dressing for that?

Ranch

French?

Ranch!

Crunch??

Ranch!!

Can you repeat that?

I nail it now on my first try after my wife coached me.

French, crunch ... 😅 ... ahh, that's funny. I feel inspired now to go say 'ranch dressing' somewhere just to see what happens!

Does your wife think 'crisps' is a weird word? I don't just mean the difference between crisps and chips. My husband finds crisps a really difficult word to say, the first time I said it he couldn't believe how ''weird'' it was. He says it like 'crisp-ah-sss with all this extra 'ssss' on the end like a snake. It's not messing around, he genuinely finds it very difficult to say. I always wonder if he's the only one.

1 hour ago, Timona said:

I called it that too. But I was lucky that a friend of mine heard me and told me it's "Ark-in-saw". That was an upgrade from "Ar - Kansas" that I just proudly blurted out.

So as I stated earlier,  my former job had like 25% British English speakers, direct from UK. My Boss was Scottish but been in US since 2000. However, 10% of the time I didn't understand what he said. I guess being in the US from 2000 softened his accent. 

On the other hand, we had this guy who just came from Scotland. 90% of the time, I never understood what this guy said. I would be back there scratching my head tying to catch up. I limited my talk with this dude as much as I could but would eavesdrop when he's conversing with other so that I can improve. 

So I think it was the deep Scottish accent that I never understood because I easily understood what others from other parts of the UK said. 

You thought it was Our Kansas too!! Oh, how wonderful! 😆

I can't understand Scots either. But then I never could. You should try watching Rab C. Nesbitt, it's available on YouTube, it's a sitcom based on a family from Glasgow. I can't understand 70% of what's being said but it still makes me laugh. 

Edited by TriloByte

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

Distance is to love like wind is to fire… it extinguishes the small and kindles the great!

Timeline
11 minutes ago, TriloByte said:

French, crunch... 😅 ... ahh, that's funny. I feel inspired now to go say 'ranch dressing' somewhere just to see what happens!

Does your wife think 'crisps' is a weird word? I don't just mean the difference between crisps and chips. My husband finds crisps a really difficult word to say, the first time I said it he couldn't believe how ''weird'' it was. He says it something like CRISP-AH-SSSSS, with all this extra 'ssss' on the end like a snake. Chips is far easier now (for both of us!). 😆

You thought it was Our Kansas too!! Oh, how wonderful! 😆

I can't understand Scots either. Never could! You should watch Rab C. Nesbitt sometime, it's available on YouTube. It's a sitcom based on a family from Glasgow. I can't understand three quarters of what's being said but it still makes me laugh. 

I hate drive throughs or ordering over the phone. I let my wife handle that department or else I'll be there repeating words.

Oooo don't start the chips (French fries) & crisps war. This went on in my house for a while. Just for fun, whenever my Irish friend and I went for lunch and wanted to confuse the waiter, we'd say chips and not French fries. Then just enjoy it play for a while with the waiter looking confused as hell.

My wife never heard of porridge. I'd be like "I'm cooking porridge for breakfast. 😳😳😳

I'll look for Rab Nesbitt 

Edited by Timona

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 minutes ago, TriloByte said:

Does your wife think 'crisps' is a weird word?

No, she manages that just fine. I think it is the melodic sound of funnily or the syllables that amuses her. She repeats it over and over and giggles. Who knows?? 

3 minutes ago, Timona said:

I hate drive throughs or ordering over the phone. I let my wife handle that department or else I'll be there repeating words.

Oooo don't start the chips (French fries) & crisps war. This went on in my house for a while. Just for fun, whenever my Irish friend and I went for lunch and wanted to confuse the waiter, we'd say chips and not French fries. Then just enjoy it play for a while with the waiter looking confused as hell.

My wife never heard of porridge. I'd be like "I'm cooking porridge for breakfast. 😳😳😳

I'll look for Rab Nesbitt 

CRISPS WARS!!!!! 😂😂😂

Oh God, yeah, with the porridge. Anyway, porridge sounds far better - far more cozy. 

I thought of another. Easter eggs. HOW CAN IT BE THAT AMERICA DOES NOT SELL BIG CHOCOLATE EGGS???

No, I don't want a plastic egg filled with small chocolates! I want a BIG egg made ENTIRELY from chocolate. Nobody ever knows what I'm on about. The nearest I can get is a Lindt gold bunny. 

1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

No, she manages that just fine. I think it is the melodic sound of funnily or the syllables that amuses her. She repeats it over and over and giggles. Who knows?? 

How interesting. 🤔 

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

Timeline

CRISPS WARS!!!!! 😂😂😂

Oh God, yeah, with the porridge. Anyway, porridge sounds far better - far more cozy. 

I thought of another. Easter eggs. HOW CAN IT BE THAT AMERICA DOES NOT SELL BIG CHOCOLATE EGGS???

No, I don't want a plastic egg filled with small chocolates! I want a BIG egg made ENTIRELY from chocolate. Nobody ever knows what I'm on about. The nearest I can get is a Lindt gold bunny. 

How interesting. 🤔 

I'm not a chocolate person so I don't know much about this department. However, I did Google and saw a few online, though pricey. Hahahah seems we have a lot to learn/ get used to. 

^ Haha, yes!

I love how off-topic this thread has become. It takes my mind off the pain of filling in forms. From paperwork to chocolate... 😎

And I want to change our username here now to CRISPSWARS. 

Edited by TriloByte

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

Timeline
On 6/11/2020 at 9:23 PM, TriloByte said:

^ Haha, yes!

I love how off-topic this thread has become. It takes my mind off the pain of filling in forms. From paperwork to chocolate... 😎

And I want to change our username here now to CRISPSWARS. 

ChipsNChrisps War would do it.  Hahahah. Go for it. Hahaahh

Well, I hope you haven't forgotten to fill out the forms. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again, folks. :)

I'm following the USCIS instructions on how to fill in I-751. I see this:

''Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship. (Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit.) The original affidavit must be submitted and also contain the following information regarding the person making the affidavit: his or her full name and address; date and place of birth; relationship to you or your spouse, if any; and full information and complete details explaining how...''

We don't really have this. Did you all do this? 

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

45 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Nope. 

Good enough for me. I won't bother. Thank you!

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.