Athea

AOS FORM JOINT SPONSOR

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

How are you doing today, I just want to let you know that we are currently answering our forms DS-260 (almost done) and AOS form. We are currently at the OAS form which kinda confusing. maybe you guys can help me out.

1. my mom is a petitioner and since she cannot support 4 for us, my aunt will be a joint sponsor she will be the one will give all the financial support. She will be using also the I-864 form right? and since she was already retired is she will use her assets to supplement her income so the part 7 she will need to answer?

She will be skipping the part 5 Sponsors Household size Part 6 Sponsors Employment and Income part 20-22 and the part 9-10 for the interpreter and person preparing etc.

2. for Sponsors USCIS online Account number if Any - is this required to answer if yes where to get it?

3. Part 2 information about the principal Immigrant, the other information - this is connected to the principal immigrant? if yes is it not applicable to answer Alien Registration Number,  USCIS online Account number? Daytime Telephone number - is this the mobile number of the principal immigrant?

Thank you for your support

Athea

1. There is no such skipped parts for joint sponsor.

Part 5. She needs to list 4 of you + her household, that's how they figure how much she needs to make. 

Part 6-5. Retired since.

Using assets for I-864 is not simple, especially you are a large family. If she only has monetary saving, consider finding another joint sponsor.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

1 hour ago, Athea said:

1. my mom is a petitioner and since she cannot support 4 for us, my aunt will be a joint sponsor she will be the one will give all the financial support. She will be using also the I-864 form right? and since she was already retired is she will use her assets to supplement her income so the part 7 she will need to answer?

She will be skipping the part 5 Sponsors Household size Part 6 Sponsors Employment and Income part 20-22 and the part 9-10 for the interpreter and person preparing etc.

To sponsor solely on assets, she will need a very considerable amount of assets for 4 people, especially if she is retired. She will need to show that she can support herself w/o imposing upon herself a hardship by doing so.

The minimum for consideration is 125% of the FPL for the household size. See https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p.

Assets are counted at a 5:1 ratio: $5 assets = $1 income

Below minimum = no visa

Above minimum = judgement call

The CO will make a decision based upon a totality of the circumstances, not just meeting a minimum level. See the FAM: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2.

She cannot skip Part 5. All sponsors must complete it.

Note that her household size is not necessarily the same as your mother's household size. The household size depends on one's circumstances. Completing Part 5 correctly will determine the household size for that sponsor.

Note that no person is to be counted more than once. Your mother does not count in her household size (unless she falls under one of the categories in Part 5).

She can list retired as her employment. They'll understand fine.

1 hour ago, Athea said:

2. for Sponsors USCIS online Account number if Any - is this required to answer if yes where to get it?

Only required if you have one. Generally you would kn ow if you had one due to previous immigration involvement.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

16 minutes ago, geowrian said:

To sponsor solely on assets, she will need a very considerable amount of assets for 4 people, especially if she is retired. She will need to show that she can support herself w/o imposing upon herself a hardship by doing so.

The minimum for consideration is 125% of the FPL for the household size. See https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p.

Assets are counted at a 5:1 ratio: $5 assets = $1 income

Below minimum = no visa

Above minimum = judgement call

The CO will make a decision based upon a totality of the circumstances, not just meeting a minimum level. See the FAM: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2.

She cannot skip Part 5. All sponsors must complete it.

Note that her household size is not necessarily the same as your mother's household size. The household size depends on one's circumstances. Completing Part 5 correctly will determine the household size for that sponsor.

Note that no person is to be counted more than once. Your mother does not count in her household size (unless she falls under one of the categories in Part 5).

She can list retired as her employment. They'll understand fine.

Only required if you have one. Generally you would kn ow if you had one due to previous immigration involvement.

Thank you so much. the AOS form is really complicated to answer. 

39 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

1. There is no such skipped parts for joint sponsor.

Part 5. She needs to list 4 of you + her household, that's how they figure how much she needs to make. 

Part 6-5. Retired since.

Using assets for I-864 is not simple, especially you are a large family. If she only has monetary saving, consider finding another joint sponsor.

Part 5 since we have our individual form (4 of us) she will need to fill out the AOS form and sign it 4 times. thanks so much

27 minutes ago, Athea said:

Part 5 since we have our individual form (4 of us) she will need to fill out the AOS form and sign it 4 times. thanks so much

You are very very confused, your aunt needs to sign I-864 form as a joint sponsor, not AOS form. You all are outside of the States, you are not AOSing, it is for someone who is in the US.

Your ealier posts said you are f2b, so I assume 4 of you are siblings. So everyone needs individual I-864s from your mom and your aunt. 

If she has no idea what to do, she needs a help from an immigration law office. 

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

5 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

You are very very confused, your aunt needs to sign I-864 form as a joint sponsor, not AOS form. You all are outside of the States, you are not AOSing, it is for someone who is in the US.

You need to let us know what the relationship of 4 of you? Siblings or married couple with child?

If she has no idea what to do, she needs a help from an immigration law office. 

Yea what I meant is I-864 we are siblings and each of US should have our own packet. thanks again

8 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

I think she means AOS as in affidavit of support in that context 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.