Derek Scheyer

I-134 Affidavit of support Joint Sponsor

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey! I'm getting closer to the Embassy stage and had a few questions about the Affidavit of support. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row ahead of time.

• My grandma is going to use her income instead of mine so would I be filing a joint sponsor or a co sponsor?
  • Do I need to fill out an affidavit of support with her or do we only need my grandmas completed form at the interview?
  • Is there a guide on joint/co sponsorship anywhere so I can show my grandma what she needs to fill out and collect?
Edited by Derek Scheyer

9 minutes ago, Derek Scheyer said:

Hey! I'm getting closer to the Embassy stage and had a few questions about the Affidavit of support. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row ahead of time.

• My grandma is going to use her income instead of mine so would I be filing a joint sponsor or a co sponsor?
  • Do I need to fill out an affidavit of support with her or do we only need my grandmas completed form at the interview?
  • Is there a guide on joint/co sponsorship anywhere so I can show my grandma what she needs to fill out and collect?

1. Those words are interchangeable they mean the same.

2. Both the petitioner and the co-sponsor complete the same information. See next point.

3.  EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: You must submit any evidence which will show that you and members of your family who will accompany you are not likely to become public charges while in the United States. Visa petitioner (US Citizen) will have to complete form I-134. If the petitioner does not qualify as a sponsor, a Joint-Sponsor should ALSO be presented (any US Citizen living in the US or Legal Permanent Resident), who will also have to complete form I-134. Both, the Sponsor (Petitioner) as well as the Joint-Sponsor, will have to present last year's income tax return transcripts. W2 form and proof of current and sustainable income (e.g. letter of employment on letterhead including salary and start date, most recent salary receipts, bank accounts, the value of properties, etc.). You may download the I-134 affidavit at https://www.uscis.gov/i-134 Get the IRS transcript in place of the actual 1040 here: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript Use this link to determine the income levels needed https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p. Also, the new requirement from most embassies is to complete the DS-5540. https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5540.PDF. This form is completed by the beneficiary and never by a co-sponsor.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

1. Those words are interchangeable they mean the same.

2. Both the petitioner and the co-sponsor complete the same information. See next point.

3.  EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: You must submit any evidence which will show that you and members of your family who will accompany you are not likely to become public charges while in the United States. Visa petitioner (US Citizen) will have to complete form I-134. If the petitioner does not qualify as a sponsor, a Joint-Sponsor should ALSO be presented (any US Citizen living in the US or Legal Permanent Resident), who will also have to complete form I-134. Both, the Sponsor (Petitioner) as well as the Joint-Sponsor, will have to present last year's income tax return transcripts. W2 form and proof of current and sustainable income (e.g. letter of employment on letterhead including salary and start date, most recent salary receipts, bank accounts, the value of properties, etc.). You may download the I-134 affidavit at https://www.uscis.gov/i-134 Get the IRS transcript in place of the actual 1040 here: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript Use this link to determine the income levels needed https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p. Also, the new requirement from most embassies is to complete the DS-5540. https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5540.PDF. This form is completed by the beneficiary and never by a co-sponsor.

So do I fill out my own I-134 with my own information? (I am unemployed but waiting to return to work so I have no pay stubs and its a small business so they have no letterhead.) And then my grandma would fill out her own I-134 with her income and W2's? (She is retired along with her husband). So it would be 2 different I-134 with our separate financial information? Thanks for the tips!

2 hours ago, Derek Scheyer said:

So do I fill out my own I-134 with my own information? YES (I am unemployed but waiting to return to work so I have no pay stubs and its a small business so they have no letterhead.) Have the owner write a document on plain bond paper and that will work too. And then my grandma would fill out her own I-134 with her income and W2's? She will use assets in lieu of W2's (She is retired along with her husband). So it would be 2 different I-134 with our separate financial information? Yes, each of you will complete an I-134, Affidavit of Support. Thanks for the tips!

See above.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

See above.

That is where i'm slightly confused.

You said to complete the same information so i'm under the impression that I fill out my I-134 with my grandmas information so that both my affidavit and hers have the "exact same information". I just wasnt sure if we need to submit separate forms with our own separate information. Sorry it just isn't clear anywhere how joint sponsors work. I'm terrified of a denial and want to get this all right the first time around. :)

Edited by Derek Scheyer

3 minutes ago, Derek Scheyer said:

You said to complete the same information so i'm under the impression that I fill out my I-134 with my grandmas information so that both my affidavit and hers have the "exact same information". I just want sure if we need to submit separate forms with our own separate information. Sorry it just isn't clear anywhere how joint sponsors work. I'm terrified of a denial and want to get this all right the first time around. :)

You fill a I-134, Affidavit of Support using your personal financial information and your co-sponsor will fill out theirs using their financial information.

Follow my example and you will be fine. If you have questions you can always PM me here on VJ and you may want to slide over to the NOA2 thread you are in to ask questions.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Hi,

I have a similar question.

I am the u.s citizen petitioner, my partner is a british citizen and the beneficiary on our case.  He will be applying for the K-1 visa in London. We have received our NOA2 and are waiting to hear from the NVC and London Embassy. We are preparing all of our documents and getting ready to apply. I do not make enough money to sponsor my fiance on my own, and am now unemployed due to Covid. I am going to have my brother sponsor my fiance as he has a qualifying income. I was under the impression that the form he needed to fill out was the I-864 but from a closer look, it looks like that form is for when you apply for a green card. Do the petitioner(myself) and joint sponsor fill out the I-134 to take to the London embassy K-1 interview? and then go through the process again using the I-864 when applying for adjustment of status once my fiance is in the United States and after we are married?

2 hours ago, kingpups said:

Hi,

I have a similar question.

I am the u.s citizen petitioner, my partner is a british citizen and the beneficiary on our case.  He will be applying for the K-1 visa in London. We have received our NOA2 and are waiting to hear from the NVC and London Embassy. We are preparing all of our documents and getting ready to apply. I do not make enough money to sponsor my fiance on my own, and am now unemployed due to Covid. I am going to have my brother sponsor my fiance as he has a qualifying income. I was under the impression that the form he needed to fill out was the I-864 but from a closer look, it looks like that form is for when you apply for a green card. Do the petitioner(myself) and joint sponsor fill out the I-134 to take to the London embassy K-1 interview? and then go through the process again using the I-864 when applying for adjustment of status once my fiance is in the United States and after we are married?

The I-864, Affidavit of Support is indeed for the Green Card (AOS) and will be completed and submitted after marriage. The I-134, Affidavit of Support is used for the interview and both parties must submit their own using their own financials.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
13 hours ago, Derek Scheyer said:

You said to complete the same information so i'm under the impression that I fill out my I-134 with my grandmas information so that both my affidavit and hers have the "exact same information". I just wasnt sure if we need to submit separate forms with our own separate information. Sorry it just isn't clear anywhere how joint sponsors work. I'm terrified of a denial and want to get this all right the first time around. :)

You fill one out and if your income is $0 then that's what it is. Your grandmother fills one out with her info. You both must submit all required documentation as well. https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

As someone who is using a joint sponsor. Some embassies require you both fill out the i-134. The one with the income (grandma) will be the one who attaches bank information, tax, w2 and so forth. You will just fill out the I-134 without all the documentation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.