6 posts in this topic

Hi

I've been married to my US citizen now for about 3 years, I'm from the UK and entered on K-1, and now applying for AOS, cost and other factors have delayed the process.

I'm presuming I have to file this new I-944 form? 

However I'm a bit confused over everything being asked for. The whole point of applying for a Green Card is so you can work legally, yet it wants all kinds of work related info, income, tax, (don't even have a SSN yet) as that's par to the AOS process lol. Even credit score, none of these I have, my spouse earns good money which again I'm presuming will come into play with the afidavid of support form. It seems like a catch 22, I can[t provide income, assets, credit score etc, when I can't legally work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Filed: Other Timeline

That's an understandable question / confusion about the I-944. But realize that the I-944 is used by many other visa categories adjusting status, not just fiance visa holders. For some people, these questions make sense and there are answers. For fiance visa holders, some of the questions (like having credit reports) may not make sense for most cases. But it may make sense in other cases. For example, if you were on a J, Student, or another visa where you did work in the US in prior years... and now you're applying for the fiance visa, then you may actually have credit scores or history, work history, or may have even filed tax returns. Back to your question though, as per the official USCIS policy manual, if you don't have credit reports or history, you may show evidence of "no report found" and submit it. 

I learned the hard way, I hope YOU don't have to. Advice: learn, learn, learn.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
19 minutes ago, PJD said:

Hi

I've been married to my US citizen now for about 3 years, I'm from the UK and entered on K-1, and now applying for AOS, cost and other factors have delayed the process.

I'm presuming I have to file this new I-944 form? 

However I'm a bit confused over everything being asked for. The whole point of applying for a Green Card is so you can work legally, yet it wants all kinds of work related info, income, tax, (don't even have a SSN yet) as that's par to the AOS process lol. Even credit score, none of these I have, my spouse earns good money which again I'm presuming will come into play with the afidavid of support form. It seems like a catch 22, I can[t provide income, assets, credit score etc, when I can't legally work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, you need to fill out the form.

Even with no SSN, you can still have a credit score if your spouse added you as an authorized user of his credit card, for example.

Some of the stuff will be from your home country

There's enough posts in the forum already about that. Search the monthly ones.

Edited by Ayrton

On 6/2/2020 at 4:07 PM, PJD said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated. The dreaded feeling has slightly subsided, I have a feeling I'll be working on this new form for a solid tow weeks. I really wish I had applied a year ago when it didn't exist lol.

Same. Going as far as to provide transcripts from school only to support proof of speaking English, insignificant public support official documentation from over a decade ago too. The evidence this form asks for is absolutely ludicrous and I'm convinced it exists only to make the process as painfully obnoxious as possible. Oh you don't have credit? Go call Transunion and wait on hold for 2 hours so you get to flip a coin and see if the representative will mail you evidence of not having credit report without a SSN. Not optional: List and provide proof of all your assets even though it was entirely optional for the I-864.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.