Marco T

i-944 form Health Insurance, any experience?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm in the process of going thorough the AoS via marriage so I'm already in the States; looking to listen to some experiences in getting an Health Insurance that can be considered a  positive factor by USCIS but less expensive than $400/month.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

1) Insurance via your spouse's plan

2) Insurance via the exchange (see healthcare.gov)

3) Private insurance

Normally #1 is going to be the cheapest with any sort of actual coverage.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
19 minutes ago, geowrian said:

1) Insurance via your spouse's plan

2) Insurance via the exchange (see healthcare.gov)

3) Private insurance

Normally #1 is going to be the cheapest with any sort of actual coverage.

Thanks for your reply!

It seems My wife has a basic coverage , need to look into that, not sure if I can be added and/or if it will count as a positive factor by USCIS

(still really confused by how health insurance works in the US...)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
16 minutes ago, SJ2020 said:

Hey, I got myself a minimum coverage from Oscar and I pay $146 a month and that’s what we used for the i944 I think it should be fine :) 

I checked them out and I was seeing about $400 monthly. Did you call to get the above quote?

1 hour ago, Marco T said:

Hi all,

I'm in the process of going thorough the AoS via marriage so I'm already in the States; looking to listen to some experiences in getting an Health Insurance that can be considered a  positive factor by USCIS but less expensive than $400/month.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I Also checked out ***removed*** (subuy), gave them a call and was quoted almost $600 to be paid annually. I saw their advert on visa journey. i am yet to pay though 

Edited by Bgail

Timeline
22 hours ago, SJ2020 said:

Hey, I got myself a minimum coverage from Oscar and I pay $146 a month and that’s what we used for the i944 I think it should be fine :) 

good stuff thanks, I had a look and... it seems the cheapest option is 500+/month under "Individuals&famillies"... can you tell me how you got to that "minimum coverage"?

thanks!

• 4 months later...
On 5/31/2020 at 1:36 PM, Marco T said:

good stuff thanks, I had a look and... it seems the cheapest option is 500+/month under "Individuals&famillies"... can you tell me how you got to that "minimum coverage"?

thanks!

Hi, i just started putting together my documents. What cheap acceptable insurance did you end up using.??

Thank You

Timeline
On 10/2/2020 at 10:31 PM, obobaddest said:

Hi, i just started putting together my documents. What cheap acceptable insurance did you end up using.??

Thank You

hey there, I ended getting it from the NY health Marketplace. it took me forever but it's free for me since Im not working

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline
On 10/6/2020 at 1:54 PM, Marco T said:

hey there, I ended getting it from the NY health Marketplace. it took me forever but it's free for me since Im not working

Mind if I ask how cheap? I applied through Marketplace and the cheapest plan they’re offering is $300... which is exorbitant for me since I’m not working (K1, waiting for AOS) and am generally healthy...

Timeline
On 11/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, SP&DT said:

Mind if I ask how cheap? I applied through Marketplace and the cheapest plan they’re offering is $300... which is exorbitant for me since I’m not working (K1, waiting for AOS) and am generally healthy...

in NY I got it for free. I called them since the system couldnt verify my identity.

Then I got the health insurance contract and card via mail

Timeline
5 hours ago, Amw_2020 said:

Did you sign up online or called? And what documents were you required to submit? 

I called them since the system couldnt verify my identity.  they asked for my address, name, DOB and i think thats is it. the lady I spoke to was super nice btw

Timeline
1 minute ago, Amw_2020 said:

Thank you for the reply, this is not seen as public charge being that it’s free? I’m about to call them

According to the website and the lady I talked to, it s not.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.