thach ho

Bringing my father to the state with Prison record 30-40 years ago

6 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone. I am a US citizen and I am trying to bring my father to the State. I have successfully sponsored my mother previously. In Vietnam 35-40 years ago, my father has served jail time for about 1 year for involving in an assault. We just found out it is still in my father police record after almost 40 years. I wonder if I would affect my father visa process. We have everything completed except for the police report which is hard to get. Can anyone give me an advice on what to do? Will Uscis look into something that happen along time ago. My dad is 60 years + old now and there are unfortunately happen in his 20's and post war time.. Thank you very much

USCIS won't care. They only handle the petition.

The consulate would be the one to determine a criminal inadmissibility.

If the crime was a CIMT (assault alone may or may not be depending on the facts...1 year jail time implies to me it was more than something minor but idk local law), it would be an inadmissibility. See https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030203.html.

You are not an qualifying relative for a waiver, but since it has been over 15 years since the event, he may qualify for a waiver. He must establish (https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-601instr-pc.pdf😞

At least 15 years have passed since the activity or event that makes you inadmissible, you have been rehabilitated, and your admission to the United States will not be contrary to the national welfare, safety, or security;

I honestly doubt this would be much of an issue for somebody in their 60s with an offense ~40 years ago. But it does need to be waived nonetheless.

The process would be just like your mother's:

1) File the I-130

2) I-130 approved and sent to NVC

3) NVC processing (https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process)

4) Documentation Qualified (DQ) - wait for an interview

5) Consulate processing, medical, etc.

6) Interview for visa

If he is otherwise eligible for the visa but the offense was a CIMT, the visa will be refused due to the CIMT. He should he offered the ability to submit an I-601 waiver at that time. You cannot file an I-601 beforehand..you have to wait until they find him inadmissible.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

53 minutes ago, geowrian said:

USCIS won't care. They only handle the petition.

The consulate would be the one to determine a criminal inadmissibility.

If the crime was a CIMT (assault alone may or may not be depending on the facts...1 year jail time implies to me it was more than something minor but idk local law), it would be an inadmissibility. See https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030203.html.

You are not an qualifying relative for a waiver, but since it has been over 15 years since the event, he may qualify for a waiver. He must establish (https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-601instr-pc.pdf😞

I honestly doubt this would be much of an issue for somebody in their 60s with an offense ~40 years ago. But it does need to be waived nonetheless.

The process would be just like your mother's:

1) File the I-130

2) I-130 approved and sent to NVC

3) NVC processing (https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process)

4) Documentation Qualified (DQ) - wait for an interview

5) Consulate processing, medical, etc.

6) Interview for visa

If he is otherwise eligible for the visa but the offense was a CIMT, the visa will be refused due to the CIMT. He should he offered the ability to submit an I-601 waiver at that time. You cannot file an I-601 beforehand..you have to wait until they find him inadmissible.

Thank you very much for your guidance. My father have traveled to the US before on a tourist visa to visit me without any problem. My mom also got here on tourist visa and I successfully did an adjustment of status for her.  My parents were talking about abandoning the immigration process and let my dad came here on the tourist visa instead then I'll file adjustment of status for him. I am hesitating because there is so many unknown variables on the tourist route. The same goes for the immigration route. Too many things uncertain 

Edited by thach ho

6 minutes ago, thach ho said:

Thank you very much for your guidance. My father have traveled to the US before on a tourist visa to visit me without any problem.

As for him having a tourist visa, that's a non-immigrant visa. For an immigrant visa, a CIMT will apply.

6 minutes ago, thach ho said:

My parents were talking about abandoning the immigration process and let my dad came here on the tourist visa instead then I'll file adjustment of status for him. I am hesitating because there is so many unknown variables on the tourist route.

This is fraud. He cannot come on a tourist visa with intent to adjust status.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

8 minutes ago, thach ho said:

My parents were talking about abandoning the immigration process and let my dad came here on the tourist visa instead then I'll file adjustment of status for him.

That doesn’t take the problem away. 

3 hours ago, thach ho said:

My parents were talking about abandoning the immigration process and let my dad came here on the tourist visa instead then I'll file adjustment of status for him. 

That is immigration fraud. A tourist visa is supposed to be only for tourism, not immigrating. But if you and your father is already concerned about his criminal past, committing fraud like that is not a good look. Better advise him against using the tourist visa.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.