Hawksquill

Renewing UK passport during COVID

9 posts in this topic

My husband's UK passport expires in July.  His application for ROC is currently in process, we applied in September 2019.  The UK passport renewal website says that they're processing applications slower than usual right now due to COVID, and to consider deferring applying so they can help those most in need.  I'd rather apply sooner rather than later so he isn't walking around with an expired passport plus an expired green card (with extension letter, of course).

The website also says that you have to send in your old passport, but it's not clear whether you need to send it in right away, or only once it becomes clear that his new passport is coming very soon? I don't want him to go too long without a passport, particularly in case we end up having to go to an ROC interview eventually.

Anyone else in a similar boat? Should we just bite the bullet and apply now?

August 20, 2016 ----> May 5, 2021

1,720 days ----> 4 years, 8 months, and 16 days

DONE with our visa journey and USCIS!

K1:

Spoiler

8/20/2016: I-129F packet mailed
10/20/2016: NOA2

1/20/2017: Interview (approved!)

2/20/2017: POE Philadelphia

3/18/2017: Wedding!

Adjustment of Status:

Spoiler

5/11/2017:  I-485, I-131, and I-765 packets mailed to Chicago lockbox

5/18/2017: NOA

5/30/2017:  Biometrics completed (walk-in, East Hartford, CT ASC)

8/2017-9/2017: Three service requests and case request to Congresswoman submitted for I-765

10/7/2017:  EAD/AP combo card received 

12/14/2017: Interview!

12/30/2017: GC received

Removal of Conditions: 

Spoiler

9/16/2019: Packet mailed to Dallas lockbox

9/23/2019: NOA date

10/24/2019: Biometrics completed (East Hartford, CT ASC) 

8/18/2020: Case approved

9/8/2020: GC in hand!

Citizenship:

Spoiler

9/17/2020: N-400 filed online

9/25/2020: Hard copy NOA received

11/12/2020: Biometrics reuse notice on USCIS account

3/19/2021: Email notification that USCIS has taken action on our case

3/31/2021: Interview notice

5/5/2021: Interview in Lawrence, MA (our field office is Hartford, CT)

5/5/2021: Approval and same day oath ceremony due to COVID-19!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does your husband have another form of ID besides the Passport and expired GC?  If so, then unless you have plans to travel, renew it when it is convenient.

Almost every country requires the old passport with the application when you renew, which they return with the new passport.

He has work IDs and a SSC and such but doesn't drive so no DL. Getting him a state ID was on the to do list when we eventually apply for N400.

K1:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status:

Spoiler

8/2017-9/2017: Three service requests and case request to Congresswoman submitted for I-765

Removal of Conditions: 

Spoiler

Citizenship:

Spoiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Hawksquill said:

My husband's UK passport expires in July.  His application for ROC is currently in process, we applied in September 2019.  The UK passport renewal website says that they're processing applications slower than usual right now due to COVID, and to consider deferring applying so they can help those most in need.  I'd rather apply sooner rather than later so he isn't walking around with an expired passport plus an expired green card (with extension letter, of course).

The website also says that you have to send in your old passport, but it's not clear whether you need to send it in right away, or only once it becomes clear that his new passport is coming very soon? I don't want him to go too long without a passport, particularly in case we end up having to go to an ROC interview eventually.

Anyone else in a similar boat? Should we just bite the bullet and apply now?

You’ll have to send his passport off before they will process. I suggest you get a state ID sooner rather than later. Then do the passport. If you’ve already done biometrics, then you shouldn’t need his passport for a while. Interviews of ROC are very rare. 

Edited by Wuozopo

20 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

You’ll have to send his passport off before they will process. I suggest you get a state ID sooner rather than later. Then do the passport. If you’ve already done biometrics, then you shouldn’t need his passport for a while. Interviews of ROC are very rare. 

Thanks.  Our state has been heavily impacted by COVID so all DMVs are closed for the foreseeable and there doesn't seem a way to get state IDs right now.  Might just have him get a good color copy of the old passport.  We don't go out and about very much and no immediate travel plans obviously so I'm probably being overly concerned. :) 

K1:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status:

Spoiler

Removal of Conditions: 

Spoiler

Citizenship:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Mine needs renewing too. But I'm leaving well alone until next year. If you don't need to travel (and you shouldn't be travelling anyway with Covid exploding in the US right now) then it really doesn't matter too much.

I"m not worried. I've lived in the US for 3 years and been to all kinds of places and have never once shown my green card to anyone. Covid rates in the US are obscene and likely to remain so for months. Yes, it's better to have everything up to date but I really wouldn't sweat it right now. 

Edited by TriloByte

Click here to see my detailed timeline and experience.

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 Received Date :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

RFIE (Birth Cert, Translation)

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

Distance is to love like wind is to fire… it extinguishes the small and kindles the great!

• 1 month later...

I'm in a little bit of a pickle myself with my passport.

A little background that might help if anyone is able to offer any advice:

My husband and I were married last year, he is the US citizen, I'm the UK citizen.

We are currently waiting for my CR1 interview to be scheduled at the Embassy, hopeful to hear something before the end of the year 🤞

My passport is due to expire in April 2021 but I think one way or another I am going to have to renew it well before then. I am still using my maiden name and was hoping that by the time I moved to the US, I would be able to renew my passport and have my passport changed to reflect my married name.

I am now trying to figure the best way to get things done. I have dual citizenship so the predicament that leaves is any changing of my name has to be done in my other passport (Trinidad and Tobago) BEFORE it can be done with my British passport.

My concern is with delays currently being experienced with embassies, etc, because of COVID, if I were to send my Trinidad passport off now to begin the name change process, it either wouldn't come back in time for me to then be able to send my British passport off to have the name changed so I can have my visa interview and visa issued with passport(s) reflecting my married name.

Truly, I think I'm over complicating it, what I didn't want was to have my passport with my valid visa in it and then encounter a problem when I decided to change my name.

Does it seem worth it to try and get the names changed before hand, or is changing my name when visa is in hand inconsequential?

Appreciate any advice anyone might have, alternatively, if there is a specific forum for those with this experience, happy to be directed there! 

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@PBabz

When you interview In London, your passport needs to be valid for six months beyond your intended date of entry into the United States. You meet that requirement.

You can start now and push back your interview until the passports are sorted, but you’ll still have to pay fees again and renew in 2021.
Or Interview as scheduled and do the name changes later.

You can still travel with a maiden name passport and a married name greencard. You simply book tickets in the name on the passport for easier dealing with airline check in. Take your marriage certificate to show name change in case re-entry to US with greencard and passport with different names is a problem. Most say they are never questioned. Same for applying for a driver license, use marriage certificate to show name change and get DL in married name.
(I hope you applied in your married name because changing a greencard name costs megabucks). 

Edited by Wuozopo

@Wuozopo

Thank you for the advice, my thoughts were to just carry on with my name as it is and change my name later on. Truly it is one of those things I know my husband will appreciate, but honestly, I'm not overly fussed about what my name is! 

Definitely did not apply in my married name, I was under the impression that my application needed to match the documents I would be providing as evidence. Again, I'm not overly fussed about the name as long as everything is above board.

Looked up the fees for changing names and just like you said, a little pricey! Will have to talk it over with the hubbers and figure out what's best.

Huge thank you for the advice! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.