AJ2019

More Immigration Restrictions?

22 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2020 at 1:24 AM, Luckycuds said:

It depends where you live. I work in a hospital of over 10,000 employees and there hasn’t been a single layoff. We were short doctors and nurses before COVID and could definitely use more now. I’m also in a state getting pretty hard hit by COVID...

Same here in my area.  The healthcare layoffs I was referring to would be at smaller hospitals in more rural areas.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

If I'm not mistaken, the last EO was issued on the 22nd of last month, with the option to add additional restrictions within the first 30 days.

Anyone expecting anything within the next 4 days?

What are people's general thoughts on when the Schengen ban might be lifted? My (german) GF and I have chosen to pause on circumventing the ban via Mexico and are just hoping that it's lifted sooner than later. It's been almost two months now and the situation in Europe is much better than when the ban was first put into place. 

It's my understanding that the new executive order they've been working on is due out any day now. I read something about how this new EO may include provisions for travel (into the US) on a country-by-country basis as the blanketed ban he initially put into place doesn't make much sense anymore. 

Anyone care to speculate? 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, jvette said:

What are people's general thoughts on when the Schengen ban might be lifted? My (german) GF and I have chosen to pause on circumventing the ban via Mexico and are just hoping that it's lifted sooner than later. It's been almost two months now and the situation in Europe is much better than when the ban was first put into place. 

It's my understanding that the new executive order they've been working on is due out any day now. I read something about how this new EO may include provisions for travel (into the US) on a country-by-country basis as the blanketed ban he initially put into place doesn't make much sense anymore. 

Anyone care to speculate? 

I'm hoping June or July, thinking September and fearing at the end of his presidency. Idk, it's hard to tell. It's been pretty obvious that they're going to use the pandemic to push their immigration policy through, I just don't know how much that would effect the Schengen zone, it's a pretty white, relatively rich area, so he'd probably still allow immigration from here.

Edited by sl1pstream

32 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

I'm hoping June or July, thinking September and fearing at the end of his presidency. Idk, it's hard to tell. It's been pretty obvious that they're going to use the pandemic to push their immigration policy through, I just don't know how much that would effect the Schengen zone, it's a pretty white, relatively rich area, so he'd probably still allow immigration from here.

Agreed, they're definitely leveraging the pandemic to push the anti-immigration agenda (hello, Stephen Miller) they've had since day one - it makes me both angry and sad to watch them do this when public health (and not his reelection tactics) should be the priority here. 

With that said, the Schengen ban and the EO that may affect immigration are not mutually exclusive. As is evident here and on Twitter, many many loved ones and families are separated as a result of the ban. I can't imagine there's many people wanting to come to the US right now given we're now the center of the outbreak,  but you'd think tourism would be something Trump's thinking about with regards to lifting the ban. I saw a clip of him meeting with DeSantis in Florida and he was asked about when he'd lift the ban. He responded with something to the tune of "I want to lift it but only when it's safe and the "invisible enemy" has disappeared." 

I'm optimistic that we'll get some kind of an update this week as the EO is supposedly due to come out any day now. I'm hoping it's taken so long because they're trying to figure out which countries will be allowed to fly here vs others that will not. 

I just know I haven't seen my girlfriend since January and really hope she could be here sometime in July. Also crossing my fingers that the new EO doesn't include the J-1 visa as that's what she'll be entering on this time instead of an ESTA. 

Edited by jvette

Timeline
32 minutes ago, jvette said:

Agreed, they're definitely leveraging the pandemic to push the anti-immigration agenda (hello, Stephen Miller) they've had since day one - it makes me both angry and sad to watch them do this when public health (and not his reelection tactics) should be the priority here. 

With that said, the Schengen ban and the EO that may affect immigration are not mutually exclusive. As is evident here and on Twitter, many many loved ones and families are separated as a result of the ban. I can't imagine there's many people wanting to come to the US right now given we're now the center of the outbreak,  but you'd think tourism would be something Trump's thinking about with regards to lifting the ban. I saw a clip of him meeting with DeSantis in Florida and he was asked about when he'd lift the ban. He responded with something to the tune of "I want to lift it but only when it's safe and the "invisible enemy" has disappeared." 

I'm optimistic that we'll get some kind of an update this week as the EO is supposedly due to come out any day now. I'm hoping it's taken so long because they're trying to figure out which countries will be allowed to fly here vs others that will not. 

I just know I haven't seen my girlfriend since January and really hope she could be here sometime in July. Also crossing my fingers that the new EO doesn't include the J-1 visa as that's what she'll be entering on this time instead of an ESTA. 

There's also the routine visa processing suspension. Considering that a lot of us have access to ESTA, he could probably just keep that in place, essentially keeping immigration halted, and still get tourists to visit because they don't need an actual visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.