Scandi

N-400 May 2020 filers

1,930 posts in this topic

Filed N400 online : May 25 2020
Biometrics reuse : August 08 2020
since then : zip! No status update and no official notifications/documents

I did for a while have an estimated completion date mid march 2021. That date blew through with nothing happening, since then I've had no updates or new estimates. However, like many, I've seen various odd banner messages and displays briefly appear on the website - including lack of all case info(!), "Request for evidence" and other strange messages - all of which came and disappeared without explanation or fanfare. Watching this forum, I've seen others with similar messages, so in absence of other correspondence, I put these down to technical glitches. For example, I currently have the "Your N-400 personalized processing time is down for maintenance" message like others.

After the last odd message (the RFE) I reached out to the technical desk at USCIS asking if it was a website issue, or an issue with my application. They couldn't check anything, so they opened a case. Somebody did call me back and raised a service request with my local office (Memphis). I got an email back from the local office for the SR, and it says:

<quote>
What We Have Done:
USCIS has reviewed your Service Request and determined that your application is currently in the pre-processing stage. After the pre-processing stage is complete, your file will be scheduled for an interview. No further action is required from you at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by delays in processing.

What You Can Do:
If you do not receive a decision or notice of other action within 90 days, please contact the USCIS Contact Center at the phone number below. In the interim, if you need to replace or renew an existing Permanent Resident Card, please refer to the Form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) instructions for further information.

We hope this information is helpful to you. We appreciate your continued patience.
<end quote>

Anyone have any clues what this really means or where it leaves me? And does "pre-processing" just mean my case is now in the "In-tray" on the local office desk, and they just haven't gotten to me yet? I guess I just wait it out until mid-June at which point my case is outside of normal processing (unless USCIS change the processing times again, which has already pushed this date back for me twice in the last month). Then, I could at least raise a SR to that effect...

Any knowledge/experience anyone can give, very gratefully received!

Oath ceremony scheduled! The whole process will take just a little more than a year. Full timeline:

1) May 2nd, 2020: Applied (San Jose, CA office)

2) Feb 19th, 2021: biometrics reuse notice

3) March 15th, 2021: Interview scheduled for April 19th 

4) April 19th, 2021: Interview
5) May 7, 2021: Oath ceremony scheduled (they do it once a month)

Glad this process is close to being over. Good luck to everyone else!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/22/2021 at 11:44 AM, whatsawotsit said:

I did for a while have an estimated completion date mid march 2021. That date blew through with nothing happening, since then I've had no updates or new estimates. However, like many, I've seen various odd banner messages and displays briefly appear on the website - including lack of all case info(!), "Request for evidence" and other strange messages - all of which came and disappeared without explanation or fanfare. Watching this forum, I've seen others with similar messages, so in absence of other correspondence, I put these down to technical glitches. For example, I currently have the "Your N-400 personalized processing time is down for maintenance" message like others.

After the last odd message (the RFE) I reached out to the technical desk at USCIS asking if it was a website issue, or an issue with my application. They couldn't check anything, so they opened a case. Somebody did call me back and raised a service request with my local office (Memphis). I got an email back from the local office for the SR, and it says:

<quote>
What We Have Done:
USCIS has reviewed your Service Request and determined that your application is currently in the pre-processing stage. After the pre-processing stage is complete, your file will be scheduled for an interview. No further action is required from you at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by delays in processing.

What You Can Do:
If you do not receive a decision or notice of other action within 90 days, please contact the USCIS Contact Center at the phone number below. In the interim, if you need to replace or renew an existing Permanent Resident Card, please refer to the Form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) instructions for further information.

We hope this information is helpful to you. We appreciate your continued patience.
<end quote>

Anyone have any clues what this really means or where it leaves me? And does "pre-processing" just mean my case is now in the "In-tray" on the local office desk, and they just haven't gotten to me yet? I guess I just wait it out until mid-June at which point my case is outside of normal processing (unless USCIS change the processing times again, which has already pushed this date back for me twice in the last month). Then, I could at least raise a SR to that effect...

I am in a similar boat:

Filed: May 6th 2020 (online)

Bio Reuse Notice: Jan 20 2021

No updates since then 

I did call back in September after not hearing anything, and I was told that there was no issues/red flags with my case, that it was being processed normally - whatever that means these days - and told that I just have to wait. 

I wonder if I should call again as now I'm past the 90 day window since the last received notice. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/22/2021 at 12:44 PM, whatsawotsit said:

<quote>
What We Have Done:

What You Can Do:

<end quote>

Filed N400 online : May 25, 2020 - Based on 5yr with revert back to my maiden name. 
Biometrics reuse : January 20, 2021

551 Stamp Rec: April 19, 2021

I am not sure there is anything to do but wait tbh.   I am in the same boat (actually worse 'cause my GC expired this month while waiting), I was able to get an extension stamp and while there I asked to check the status and he was really nice but just said that my file was in queue for an interview date and I have to wait for the letter. 

Sorry, i don't have any actual helpful advice. Just that we are all in the same boat, waiting and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their processing.  I have a friend who filed in June of 2020 (she has her 10 YR card and filed based on 5YR and is also changing back to her maiden name) and has already had her interview and is waiting on the oath cermony so... 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

My interview is in 40 minutes. Can I take the phone with me inside and turn it off? I drove by myself and I do t want to leave my phone in my car outside on the street :(

40 minutes ago, STurcotte77 said:

Filed N400 online : May 25, 2020 - Based on 5yr with revert back to my maiden name. 
Biometrics reuse : January 20, 2021

551 Stamp Rec: April 19, 2021

I am not sure there is anything to do but wait tbh.   I am in the same boat (actually worse 'cause my GC expired this month while waiting), I was able to get an extension stamp and while there I asked to check the status and he was really nice but just said that my file was in queue for an interview date and I have to wait for the letter. 

Sorry, i don't have any actual helpful advice. Just that we are all in the same boat, waiting and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their processing.  I have a friend who filed in June of 2020 (she has her 10 YR card and filed based on 5YR and is also changing back to her maiden name) and has already had her interview and is waiting on the oath cermony so... 

Hi magentahaze and STurcotte77 - Thanks for the replies - it's at least reassuring to hear that others are in the same spot.

It definitely feels a little frustrating that the order in which some applications are processed is not the order in which they were received - reading these boards there are outstanding applications from well before May 2020.

Yes, every case may be different, and some take longer than others, but many of us will look at our own applications and think "How could my circumstances and application be any simpler? Is there a problem? Am I different?" It's easy and understandable to then start to worry! Opaque official language like "pre-processing" doesn't help with those fears.

Thanks again for the information. I guess we wait.

Timeline

I had my interview today in the morning. It went well overall. The officer started asking me about my travels outside the country. She said that I was using my B2 Visa that is on my passport and it looks like I quit my permanene residency. I told her I had no clue about that, I always used my green card and my passport to travel and I had no clue what the officers at the airport were looking at and what they stamped in my passport and then she said that it looks like somebody else had the same Alien number than mine, at that point I was petrified and had no response to all of this, then she asked me to step out the room that she had to call the supervisor. 5 minutes after she called me back and kept asking me about my travels out of the country until she said, ok let's proceed with the interview. She asked name, address, wife's name, kid's name, for how long have we been married, phone numbers, and 2019 taxes. Then she asked me if I wanted to be interviewed as a 5 year petitioner, she said that way I don't have to show her any paperwork ( 😐  ) I said yes ok. Then she started with the Yes and No questions, She tested my English - writing and reading, and then she proceeded to the civics, history questions, she made 5 questions and that was it. She asked me if I knew what a Oath of allegiance was and then she made me sign the Form N-652 whch she marked the box A) Congratulations! your application has been recommended for approval. and then she said that's it, I did not have nothing to do but wait. 

Hours later I checked my case in my computer and Found this 👇👇👇👇👇👇  . I hope everything goes well. I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but lets wait for the letter ! I still anxious hehe !

1.JPG

2.JPG

Edited by Chrisfer77

49 minutes ago, Chrisfer77 said:

I had my interview today in the morning. It went well overall. The officer started asking me about my travels outside the country. She said that I was using my B2 Visa that is on my passport and it looks like I quit my permanene residency. I told her I had no clue about that, I always used my green card and my passport to travel and I had no clue what the officers at the airport were looking at and what they stamped in my passport and then she said that it looks like somebody else had the same Alien number than mine, at that point I was petrified and had no response to all of this, then she asked me to step out the room that she had to call the supervisor. 5 minutes after she called me back and kept asking me about my travels out of the country until she said, ok let's proceed with the interview. She asked name, address, wife's name, kid's name, for how long have we been married, phone numbers, and 2019 taxes. Then she asked me if I wanted to be interviewed as a 5 year petitioner, she said that way I don't have to show her any paperwork ( 😐  ) I said yes ok. Then she started with the Yes and No questions, She tested my English - writing and reading, and then she proceeded to the civics, history questions, she made 5 questions and that was it. She asked me if I knew what a Oath of allegiance was and then she made me sign the Form N-652 whch she marked the box A) Congratulations! your application has been recommended for approval. and then she said that's it, I did not have nothing to do but wait. 

Hours later I checked my case in my computer and Found this 👇👇👇👇👇👇  . I hope everything goes well. I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but lets wait for the letter ! I still anxious hehe !

1.JPG

2.JPG

Congratulations. at exactly the same time stamp my status updated to that as well!! haha is it like an automated system?!?!   

I interviewed on Friday, 3:00PM CST so got the update today, my 652 was a decision cannot be made but apparently one was made today... Nearing the end! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chrisfer77 said:

1.JPG

2.JPG

Congrats on the approval! Do you know how long it will take until they schedule your oath ceremony? Is your field office usually pretty qucik?

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Chrisfer77 said:

1.JPG

2.JPG

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  

Kinda scary that there was someone with your same A #, but you made it.   WooHoo!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Scandi said:

Congrats on the approval! Do you know how long it will take until they schedule your oath ceremony? Is your field office usually pretty qucik?

I got no clue. But I am picturing minimun 3 weeks.. let's see...

Timeline
2 hours ago, STurcotte77 said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  

Kinda scary that there was someone with your same A #, but you made it.   WooHoo!

Yeah, I was petrified when the officer said that. A the end of the day I knew I was clear and free from guilt.

Timeline

I got my citizenship interview yesterday morning and today I checked my account online and USCIS scheduled my Naturalization Oath Ceremony !!! For Friday, May 28 !! I am so happy !! I can't believe this is coming to an end !! 

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Chrisfer77 said:

I got my citizenship interview yesterday morning and today I checked my account online and USCIS scheduled my Naturalization Oath Ceremony !!! For Friday, May 28 !! I am so happy !! I can't believe this is coming to an end !! 

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Congrats my mate!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.