Jay&Jo

"Submitting additional evidence" section of N400 (merged)

23 posts in this topic

I went with the more is better approach, and that filing it with the application would let the interviewing officer be able to review it all before the interview, and probably already be able to make an initial judgement before the interview.  

Definitely submit at least 3 joint tax returns for the previous 3 years.  Maybe more if you have them.  As far as I have heard from others, these are the real proof you are a married couple and filing jointly.  

I also brought my most recent return to interview, which made the interviewer smile and say  - “yes perfect, just what we like to see”.   

I also added other stuff, that proves we are living together - photos of both our current drivers licenses, showing the same address, copies of mailings with both our names on, etc. 

Also, 5 pages of photos, showing us, in different cities and countries, all over the world from about the last 10 years!!  We had been together 19 years when I did my citizenship, so lots of evidence to fall back on.    

I know someone who scanned in half a dozen Christmas cards, addressed to them both - and uploaded that, as another proof of them being together still.  Maybe a little OTT, but if you are short of other evidence, anything that helps.....  

Just be sensible, and include sensible things, that prove your relationship, and all should be good.  If you forget anything and think of it later, you can always bring it to interview, as you will be asked - “have you brought anything with you to support your application?”  

Hope that helps, and good luck!  

⬇️ Immigration/Visa experience ⬇️

ESTA 

ESTA revoked

H1B for 2 years

B2 - Denied

B2 - Successful

AoS

Green Card

Green Card ROC

Naturalization

(AoS & GC via same sex marriage if it helps) 

So plenty experience to draw on to help you all out on......  

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 4/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, Jay&Jo said:

Here's what the instructions say (unless I'm missing something - which is why I posted the question!)

"Documents you may need

We will automatically determine which documents you need to provide us as you fill out your application.

The other documents you need will depend on the information you provide in the application, such as your personal history, family, and circumstances."

Based on that information.... and the fact the application didn't ask for any further documents from me (no tax documents, no bank statements or mortgage etc), would you submit any additional documents?

Genuinely looking for help please! I see others submitting a lot, and don't want to be missing something.

We have been married (13) years and will file N-400 this year.

We intend to submit what they ask for and no more.

They wanna see our mortgage and other stuff I guess they can ask at the interview.  

Edited by Nitas_man

17 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

We have been married (13) years and will file N-400 this year.

We intend to submit what they ask for and no more.

They wanna see our mortgage and other stuff I guess they can ask at the interview.  

I hope you are submitting as many joint filed tax returns as you can as well. 

I said it before and it is worth saying again - lots of joint filed tax returns is worth its weight in gold in this process.  They totally go for it and counts massively in your favor if you can provide them, and they will find it odd if you don’t.  Don’t wait until the interview - just draws out the interview, as you will sit there as the IO reads each and every one.  Provide as much as you can up front, with the application, so it is reviewed in advance.  Streamlines the whole process.  

Good luck!  

ESTA 

ESTA revoked

H1B for 2 years

B2 - Denied

B2 - Successful

AoS

Green Card

Green Card ROC

Naturalization

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Teknodude said:

I hope you are submitting as many joint filed tax returns as you can as well. 

I said it before and it is worth saying again - lots of joint filed tax returns is worth its weight in gold in this process.  They totally go for it and counts massively in your favor if you can provide them, and they will find it odd if you don’t.  Don’t wait until the interview - just draws out the interview, as you will sit there as the IO reads each and every one.  Provide as much as you can up front, with the application, so it is reviewed in advance.  Streamlines the whole process.  

Good luck!  

attachments.pdf?download=1
https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

I believe this the N-400 document checklist includes tax returns and this is the minimum required I believe that is submitted with the application.
It is not a small list LOL

Edited by Nitas_man

On 4/28/2020 at 2:36 PM, magentahaze said:

I just submitted a speeding citation with proof of payment and it being on my driving record, as I had mentioned it earlier in the application.

I thought about sending in tax forms, but I'll bring those to the interview. 

Just uploaded the copies of my GC and our marriage certificate.

If I may ask you where did you upload your traffic ticket document? did you do that in the box titled arrest and court, or in the box titled additional evidence (without specification)? I am a little confused because I am being asked to upload evidence to the box titled arrest and I have not been arrested.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Zaidba said:

If I may ask you where did you upload your traffic ticket document? did you do that in the box titled arrest and court, or in the box titled additional evidence (without specification)? I am a little confused because I am being asked to upload evidence to the box titled arrest and I have not been arrested.

I can't remember off the top of my head without going to look, but I think I put it in the additional evidence section.

Like I said, I'd have to look at my application and see. 

Sorry. 😟

On 5/2/2020 at 9:41 PM, Nitas_man said:

https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

I believe this the N-400 document checklist includes tax returns and this is the minimum required I believe that is submitted with the application.
It is not a small list LOL

Right - its pretty extensive, and do make sure you include everything they ask for. 

I highlighted the joint filed tax returns, as I know from experience, they really like to see them.  Not including them will IMO ask more questions of you....  

If you aren’t sure about anything, shout.  I spent a long time on this on my application, and remember it quite well.  I also still have my package of documents on my desktop in case I need to refer to it.  

Cheers, and good luck!  

ESTA 

ESTA revoked

H1B for 2 years

B2 - Denied

B2 - Successful

AoS

Green Card

Green Card ROC

Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
* I posted this in the May 2020 filers thread as well*

I'm in the last stages of getting ready to submit my online application.
Decided to upload a few more bits of additional evidence as I guess it can't hurt -
- Husband's and my last 2 DL's that span from the year we got married until now, two each, (the ones from the same 5 year span are on the same jpg scan) to show that we've lived at the same residence since being married
- 5 years of tax return PDFs.
Would those help us in the long run? They are both things that are easily accessible/to attach so I figured why not. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.