craig5977

Does 5 year old son attend the interview?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We will have an interview later this summer we hope in Vietnam for my wife and 5 year old son, since he

will have his own NVC paperwork, will he have to attend the interview with his mother? Or do they allow 5 year olds to attend?

I have not found anything in my search.

Thank you in advance for any answers

Craig and Linh

Generally, a child will have to attend an interview if they will need a visa. Nobody is exempt.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

My kid was 5 when we got our visas, she had to attend the interview. I understand there are one or two embassies that follow the NIV route of allowing under 14s to miss the interview, but most of them require all visa applicants to be there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I've seen plenty of kids attending interviews at the U.S. consulate office in HCMC - kids at the window, not just sitting around. I'd have a Plan B on your hopes for a summer interview. Foreign government offices in Vietnam have been shut down for quite a while and will likely be shut down for some time. Vietnam has been extremely successful in containing the coronavirus (no reported deaths) - as you probably know. Their efficiency and efficacy at tracking people is amazing, but it comes at a price during times like these. The country has become very isolated and I think it will be very slow in opening to the outside world. They don't trust foreigners - lessons learned, I suppose. Our plans for a summer visit have been terminated. Good luck! And go to  the interview, if you can. Very interesting place.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My understanding is that any children that you listed on Form I-129F, in Part 2, Item 40.a (children of beneficiary that are under age 18) will need to attend interview with their documents such as birth certificate, passport, letter from their biological father (if not you) authorizing them to travel, etc.

When my fiancée and I attended the interview for CRBA, the baby absolutely had to be there in order to get USA passport and citizenship. I would expect the same deal for US Consulate Interview with any children going on a K2 visa.

Good luck with your visa journey, Craig!

9 minutes ago, Duke Alfonse III said:

My understanding is that any children that you listed on Form I-129F, in Part 2, Item 40.a (children of beneficiary that are under age 18) will need to attend interview with their documents such as birth certificate, passport, letter from their biological father (if not you) authorizing them to travel, etc.

Children who are immigrating (or, a the very least, want a K-2 visa)*. Children not applying for a visa at this time do not need to attend. Some people do FTJ or such due to school schedules, or other situations.

Also, the cutoff age is 21 (and must still be unmarried).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 4/20/2020 at 3:29 AM, WandY said:

I've seen plenty of kids attending interviews at the U.S. consulate office in HCMC - kids at the window, not just sitting around. I'd have a Plan B on your hopes for a summer interview. Foreign government offices in Vietnam have been shut down for quite a while and will likely be shut down for some time. Vietnam has been extremely successful in containing the coronavirus (no reported deaths) - as you probably know. Their efficiency and efficacy at tracking people is amazing, but it comes at a price during times like these. The country has become very isolated and I think it will be very slow in opening to the outside world. They don't trust foreigners - lessons learned, I suppose. Our plans for a summer visit have been terminated. Good luck! And go to  the interview, if you can. Very interesting place.

I agree with you, I am being optimistic that she will have a late summer interview, actually I am thinking realistically the end of the year. Yes I also agree, Vietnam has been very pro-active in containing the virus and is slowly set to ease some restriction in the coming weeks. It changes daily here. I am actually in Vietnam as I cannot leave the country for now. Very few options to leave now and honestly with all the problems in the USA I am probably for now, better off here. Thanks for the advice

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.