Takaro91

Will required timelines be extended due to COVID-19?

6 posts in this topic

My fiance is in the UK (I am in the US). He had just gotten his medical done for the K-1 visa a day before the London Embassy closed down due to Coronavirus. If someone can please answer my questions, I would appreciate it:

1. The medical expires six months after getting it approved. Due to Coronavirus, my fiance was not able to set an appointment for the interview. Does anyone know if we are going to get an extension on the expiration of the medical? We paid $500 for this appointment.

2. Do I have to worry about our 1129 petition expiring? If so, can we get it extended?

3. Do we know how many appointments were cancelled at the London Embassy?  Was it just April or has May been cancelled too? Does anyone know which month they were scheduling for in March? I am trying to get an idea of when my fiance will realistically get an interview. Life plans and all. 

I know a lot is unknown at the moment, but I am stressed and cannot find answers anywhere. I am trying to keep it all together. I appreciate any help. 

Also curious about the medical exam, we had an interview which has been postponed indefinitely and we aren't sure we will get another before the medical expires. 

If I had to guess, they may require a new medical because your health situation could have changed during that time. If your medical exam was expensive because of vaccines though, you shouldn't need to do those again. 

9 minutes ago, MexicoExpat said:

Also curious about the medical exam, we had an interview which has been postponed indefinitely and we aren't sure we will get another before the medical expires. 

If I had to guess, they may require a new medical because your health situation could have changed during that time. If your medical exam was expensive because of vaccines though, you shouldn't need to do those again. 

Just seeing the American doctor is $500

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
3 hours ago, Takaro91 said:

1. The medical expires six months after getting it approved. Due to Coronavirus, my fiance was not able to set an appointment for the interview. Does anyone know if we are going to get an extension on the expiration of the medical? We paid $500 for this appointment.

Highly unlikely, but unfortunately you might have to redo the medicals if it expires before the interview, but if it does not you will be issued a K1 based on the time left before expiration of medicals... Which could be as short as a month (disadvantage) 

. Do I have to worry about our 1129 petition expiring? If so, can we get it extended?

As far as he has gotten to the embassy stage and based on the current situation it will likely be automatically extended by the embassy... It will help if you write a sort of letter addressed to the embassy the embassy telling them you guys are still in love and still intend to marry and ask them to extend the petition... He takes the letter along  to his K1 interview. 

3. Do we know how many appointments were cancelled at the London Embassy?  Was it just April or has May been cancelled too? Does anyone know which month they were scheduling for in March? I am trying to get an idea of when my fiance will realistically get an interview. Life plans and all. 

The memo is that as soon as the lockdown is lifted, the embassies will reopen and applicants will be given the chance to reschedule appointments themselves. 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/16/2020 at 2:13 PM, Takaro91 said:

My fiance is in the UK (I am in the US). He had just gotten his medical done for the K-1 visa a day before the London Embassy closed down due to Coronavirus. If someone can please answer my questions, I would appreciate it:

2. Do I have to worry about our 1129 petition expiring? If so, can we get it extended?

I know a lot is unknown at the moment, but I am stressed and cannot find answers anywhere. I am trying to keep it all together. I appreciate any help. 

We had our medicals that cost us over $1000 for my family of 4 just a week before our interview was canceled (which was canceled 5 days before our interview) I am expecting we will have to get them done again as your health is very important and may change. Plus the date of your medical matches when your visa will expire. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.