J2j

RFE I-751 Waiver

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello guys, I submitted my I-751 in August 2018. Just received a RFE. My situation is a bit complicated hopefully somebody can help and give a little guidance.

Prior to my filling, I was granted a maximum of 5 years protection order from the court due to domestic violence issue. 

I married my husband in 2017 but it was extremely difficult to go on with our marriage. (same sex marriage)

I have submitted almost all the documents that I was able to gather at that time.

2 support letters from my friends (roommate/friend after I moved out), another one from my landlord stating I had been living with him since I moved to the US.

2 professional letters , one from my advocate who has been helping ever since the event occurred in 2017, another one from my therapist with evaluation and treatment.

Travel documents including flight tickets, pictures, bookings etc.

Joint Auto insurance card

copies of 2017 and 2018 joint income tax returns (they further requested for IRS transcripts, which I downloaded and printed)

Copy of my protection order with police report 

My personal statement

Below are the documents they wanted:

e.g.

*Lease in both names showing joint occupancy (I do not have the leasing agreement, he has been living at the same place for the past 12 years and the landlord is a personal friend)

*deeds and mortgages in both names showing joint ownership (we had no mutual properties or anything)

*copies of your and your former spouse's driver licenses/or identity card (I moved out in March last year, impossible to obtain)

*checking, savings or investment account statements (he refused to open one with one)

*property, life or health insurance documents  (too late to add it now??)

*utility bills or loan credits card accounts statements (landlord pays all the utility bills)

Well, basically I was not careful about getting more useful evidence as I was never prepared to what is going to happen. And definitely having to receive the letter just pretty much force myself to look back again for secondary damage while I have moved on.

Thus, I am basically in a situation that I will not be able to submit any helpful documents at this point, wondering what else I can do to respond the RFE.

Greatly appreciated if you guys can help me out thanks.

Edited by J2j
n

You can't send what you don't have, you can explain it in a sworn statement. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You create a reply to the RFE that explains exactly what you have said here.  For each item them want, tell them why you cannot provide the document.  Be sure to mention your protection order.  Don't be whiny about it - just state facts.

Then reiterate that you married in good faith, but that the marriage failed.  You are not the only one in this predicament, and you will probably have to sit for an interview, but if they believe you married in good faith, you will be ok.

Best of luck to you.  I'm sorry things did not work out with your husband.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

• 7 months later...
Timeline

Just an update on my case. I submitted everything I could provide back in July before the due date for RFE, I was so worried and almost certain I will get an interview. However, I just randomly checked my status today and said my card was mailed to me. Feel so lucky, I filed my case under abuse waiver. If you guys have any questions plz let me know. I still haven’t received my new card yet but hopefully it will arrive soon. 

On 11/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, J2j said:

Just an update on my case. I submitted everything I could provide back in July before the due date for RFE, I was so worried and almost certain I will get an interview. However, I just randomly checked my status today and said my card was mailed to me. Feel so lucky, I filed my case under abuse waiver. If you guys have any questions plz let me know. I still haven’t received my new card yet but hopefully it will arrive soon. 

Hi! I just got about same rfe. Can you tell please what did you send to them? I’m so sad(

On 11/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, J2j said:

Congratulations!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Doll123 said:

Hi! I just got about same rfe. Can you tell please what did you send to them? I’m so sad(

I didn’t have a lot, I sent a letter to explain why I didn’t have the things they wanted. I asked my advocate that has been helping me to write a letter for me. Don’t panic when you get it. Just explain your situation and they will understand. I had a really strong case where I had police report and court order to back up for myself, so legal documentations are the best to build a strong case. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Police reports, and protective orders are good evidence both abuse abuse and a bona fide marriage as green card holders that are not in a real marriage don't get into fights and call the police. 

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 9:46 AM, Sukie said:

You create a reply to the RFE that explains exactly what you have said here.  For each item them want, tell them why you cannot provide the document.  Be sure to mention your protection order.  Don't be whiny about it - just state facts.

Then reiterate that you married in good faith, but that the marriage failed.  You are not the only one in this predicament, and you will probably have to sit for an interview, but if they believe you married in good faith, you will be ok.

Best of luck to you.  I'm sorry things did not work out with your husband.

Sukie in NY

Just wondering, how would an interview help in such situations? Like what can you tell the IO in person anything different from what you can provide them in a detailed declaration and evidence?

What makes USCIS decide to request for an interview or not, and what are they trying to know/achieve in the interview?

On 11/20/2020 at 9:48 PM, da95826 said:

Police reports, and protective orders are good evidence both abuse abuse and a bona fide marriage as green card holders that are not in a real marriage don't get into fights and call the police. 

What about green card holder immigrant spouse got arrested in those situations even though they were the abused one?

Edited by fromthewater

On 11/15/2020 at 10:55 AM, J2j said:

Does that mean it took 4 months from Response to RFE received to case approved?

I thought usually USCIS makes a decision on approval or interview within 60 days of receiving the response. Even though it is COVID time, didn't expect it to take 4 months...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Getting one arrest and no charges is a minor issue. However multiple arrests will be an issue due to the assumption of bad moral character even without a conviction. 

Any immigrant getting a conviction of domestic violence crime is subject to removal so that will not be vary bad for their case.

Being in a domestic dispute can be helpful in proving a bona fide marriage however if convicted of a crime will not helpful for your immigration case, one arrest with no charges should be no issue.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Update, i just found my 10 year green card at my old address. The wait is finally over. 

Just now, J2j said:

Update, i just found my 10 year green card at my old address. The wait is finally over. 

So In total I waited for 14 months. From august 2019-october 2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.