YvetteS

I-944 House hold income question

22 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Buma said:

I also ticked yes, since I did file a foreign tax return for 2019. Should I tick No and then explain that I filed a German tax return and include a copy? This form is just ridiculous!!

I ticked no and checked "other" and will explain I filed a foreign tax return. In explanation for not filing, I explained that I recently entered on a K-1 visa and am in the process of applying for AOS and that I filed taxes in Australia for 2019.

Goodluck!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Anthony446 said:

Tick no if you were not a resident of the USA and did not file tax in 2019. However, you should attach your 2019 foreign tax return 

But if my household member filed a tax return should I tick yes for the question if I or my household member filed a tax return?

27 minutes ago, YvetteS said:

I ticked no and checked "other" and will explain I filed a foreign tax return. In explanation for not filing, I explained that I recently entered on a K-1 visa and am in the process of applying for AOS and that I filed taxes in Australia for 2019.

Goodluck!!

I guess, I will do the same on mine and attach the copy. Thanks so much :) Goodluck to you too!!

11 minutes ago, Buma said:

But if my household member filed a tax return should I tick yes for the question if I or my household member filed a tax return?

I guess, I will do the same on mine and attach the copy. Thanks so much :) Goodluck to you too!!

If your household member filed a 2019 federal tax return in USA, tick yes for them only. 

Tick no for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Buma said:

I also ticked yes, since I did file a foreign tax return for 2019. Should I tick No and then explain that I filed a German tax return and include a copy? This form is just ridiculous!!

That's what I did. 

• 2 months later...

It looks like a tricky question to me. My USC husband already filed his tax return. I also filed mine but in Brazil.

The question is if you OR your household member file a federal tax, in both itens A and B. So should I fill it with my name and tick no for me (even the question asking about "you OR your household member") and then fill with his name and tick yes for him?

I feel so stupid asking this, because it looks simple, but I'm afraid of missing something.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:02 PM, YvetteS said:

Hi all,

For reference I am currently in the US on a K-1 visa and in the process of filing for AOS. I have never worked in the US before.

My question refers to the below section of the I-944:

Where it says... 

image.png.f1b8fcdc44bae62278b146a68381ffed.png

Would you say 'yes' or 'no' if the tax return was filed in a foreign country? I filed my tax return for 2019 in Australia, so technically I did file a federal tax return but it was an Australian one, not for the US. Or would I select 'no' and then tick 'other' and explain that I filed taxes in Australia and provide evidence of my tax return transcripts?

I understand that at this point most advice is just personal opninion as we are the guinea pigs of this new form, but I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks.

This section is confusing to me as well.

My interpretation right now is that the K-1 holder will put "no" to filing a federal tax return and then check "Not required to file a tax return".

The explanation for not filing would be something like "Domiciled outside of the US until [MM/DD/YYYY] arrival on K-1 visa and did not marry U.S. citizen spouse until [MM/DD/YYYY]. See attached 2019 tax return from [other country]."

In that case, the "Federal tax year" and "Total income from tax return..." sections would be left blank (even though the foreign tax return will be attached)...right? Or would the total income from the foreign return be listed here?

I have only been looking closely at this form since very recently, so I am by no means positive about my interpretation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.