Jump to content

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts



my newly wedded husband an I would like to file for the CR1 visa soon but I could need some advice first. I already asked in a few facebook groups but couldn't really find an answer to my question.

So, my husband is from MN, I'm from Germany and we got married in Las Vegas (Nevada).

Nevada allows you to chose a new last name in the license application or you can just leave it blank. I called the city hall (Standesamt) twice because the first officer seemed a little confused and gave me different answers when I asked to verify if we're talking about the same issue.

My "problem" is, I'd like both out last names, so FirstName MaidenName HisLastName. 

The officer first told me it's ok to do so. But then he asked which state we got married in and then said that Nevada only allows both last names if they're hyphenated. I don't want it to be hyphenated, that't a little too fancy for my liking to be required to use it every time i gotta sign something and it seems more easy going without the hyphen.


Has anyone else changes his/her last name in Germany and used the US name change law and could give me some advice ?

Also, we'd like to file the i-130 petition ASAP, should I file it with my maiden name ?

And at which point do I have to send them my new passport with my new last name ? My passport expires in March 2021 so I'd like to renew it with my new last name but atm all offices are closed due to the Covid-19.


Kind regards and thanks in advance!



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-2 Country: Nicaragua

I changed my name in Germany after getting married in the US. My husband had to be there in Germany with me. I had to have an apostille and I changed it via German right but I could have done it via American right. I presented my passport with my married name to the embassy. 


It's your choice whether to file with maiden or married name. You can already use your married name in America for bank accounts and such. But if you file in your maiden name, you'll have to change everything later, including SSN card. 


I don't know anything about the hyphen. I know it can get difficult when applying for certain banks as their system doesn't take the hyphen. 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...